Windows 10: How to make an SSD the exclusive boot device?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,841
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       28 Jan 2016 #31

    from command prompt (admin) type each line below and hit enter..

    Diskpart
    select disk 1
    create partition primary
    format quick fs=ntfs label="SYSTEM"
    assign letter="S"
    active
    exit

    Bcdboot D:\Windows /s S: /f BIOS
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,841
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       28 Jan 2016 #32

    shut down PC.
    unplug HDD..
    restart...

    did it boot to windows 10 on SSD
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    28 Jan 2016 #33

    mike6623 said: View Post
    I don't think the ssd has a boot loader nothing ever works! So frustrating
    Is it the type of SSD that plugs into a slot on the motherboard or one that plugs into a sata port with a cable?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    28 Jan 2016 #34

    I appreciate it, but that wasn't covered, because every link, or advice I was given I tried, and it failed and I posted the result, or what it said. I was told to use BCD, it didn't work as explained. We have fingered out the boot loader needs to be on that drive, and that is the issue. EASYBCD didnt' work, nor did the other bootable repair disk. I have seen over and over (not in this thread) "copy the boot loader folder" but they NEVER say where it is in the first place
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    28 Jan 2016 #35

    Kyhi said: View Post
    shut down PC.
    unplug HDD..
    restart...

    did it boot to windows 10 on SSD
    No, it could not boot or no bootable device I do not remember the exact warning. I did this with only the SSD. I Mark as active is greyed out in disk management. There is no bootloader on the SSD from what I gather. Getting it there is apparently not as easy as I thought it would be, no software has worked or anything
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    28 Jan 2016 #36

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Is it the type of SSD that plugs into a slot on the motherboard or one that plugs into a sata port with a cable?
    Not too familiar with the inside, but all of the connecting cables were already inside, no external cables are being used. The all lead to the same area but in different slots on that same area
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    28 Jan 2016 #37

    Kyhi said: View Post
    from command prompt (admin) type each line below and hit enter..

    Diskpart
    select disk 1
    create partition primary
    format quick fs=ntfs label="SYSTEM"
    assign letter="S"
    active
    exit

    Bcdboot D:\Windows /s S: /f BIOS
    There is not enough uable space to compete this operation is what I get when I get to create partition primary. The SSD has 41gb of free space
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 4,356
    Win 10 Pro x64
       28 Jan 2016 #38

    mike6623 said: View Post
    No, it could not boot or no bootable device I do not remember the exact warning. I did this with only the SSD. I Mark as active is greyed out in disk management. There is no bootloader on the SSD from what I gather. Getting it there is apparently not as easy as I thought it would be, no software has worked or anything
    Download Macrium Free Edition and create a bootable rescue USB. Boot up on that USB with your SSD installed on the PC and try to fix the boot problem following this Macrium guide: http://www.macrium.com/help/v5/Rescu...t_Problems.htm
    It always works for me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    28 Jan 2016 #39

    badrobot said: View Post
    Download Macrium Free Edition and create a bootable rescue USB. Boot up on that USB with your SSD installed on the PC and try to fix the boot problem following this Macrium guide: http://www.macrium.com/help/v5/Rescu...t_Problems.htm
    It always works for me.
    This was suggested early in this thread and I tried it already. It sees the ssd with windows 10. After I select and hit next it says no active partition and nothing is in the box, initially shows it along with the correct OS that is on it, it is when I hit next I get the no active partition. Make partition active is greyd out in disk management
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 2,033
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       28 Jan 2016 #40

    @mike6623
    Are you familiar with Macrium ? can you create an image of the D: drive on disk 1 to an external drive ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Just upgraded from Windows 7 to windows 10 --all working well except continually get message " USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED ,the last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it " I have gone into...
Soo... things have gone from bad to worse. My problem started after windows 10 updated when I shut down my laptop for a quick restart. Windows explorer would crash every second, reopen, then crash again without stopping. I tried a system restore...
Inaccessible Boot Device in General Support
I ran into a problem this evening with my laptop, Lenovo B575. The laptop kept restarting because of inaccessible boot_device. I am not sure how to fix this problem. I know it's too new for everyone with Windows 10. Mine is Windows 10 64X Home...
I screwed up and failed to make a boot drive before downloading and installing Windows 10. I have tried going to the Windows media site but it won't let me do it. Any suggestion for making a boot drive?
Read more: Exclusive: CEO Nadella talks Microsoft's mobile ambitions, Windows 10 strategy, HoloLens and more | ZDNet
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24.
Find Us