How to make an SSD the exclusive boot device?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 3,840
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       #11

    You already have an unallocated 400MB System partition on Disk 1

    from command prompt (admin)

    Diskpart
    select disk 1
    create partition primary
    format quick fs=ntfs label="SYSTEM"
    assign letter="S"
    active
    exit

    Bcdboot D:\Windows /s S: /f BIOS

    And I assume D is the SSD OS you want to Boot, so you can delete the C OS you are now using from the HDD..
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 54
    Windows 10 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #12

    whs said:
    When you boot from the SSD, the letters will change automatically. You need not change letters.
    Okay, thanks. Do that then follow the instructions in the link provided to get the boot manager onto the SSD? I want the SSD to be exclusive, no dependance on the HDD. I think that is why I ran into this issue, because I believe the SSD was relying on the Bootmanager that was on the HDD that came with the PC
      My Computer


  3. whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #13

    You are right. You did not have a bootmgr on the SSD. The instructions in the tutorial will fix that.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 54
    Windows 10 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #14

    whs said:
    Use this tutorial but instead of C, change it to D. Then you have to change the boot sequence in the BIOS to the D disk (disk1).

    Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD - Windows 7 Help Forums
    When I choose D instead of C (the only two options and the SSD is "D") I get the following error.

    "An attempt was made to change the boot partition to a local drive which is not allowed. The boot partition must be a primary partition. Please either select a different drive or convert the selected partition to primary first, then try again." How do I do that?
      My Computer


  5. whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #15

    That is strange. D shows as a primary partition - at least in your picture. Has that changed.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 54
    Windows 10 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #16

    Kyhi said:
    You already have an unallocated 400MB System partition on Disk 1

    from command prompt (admin)

    Diskpart
    select disk 1
    create partition primary
    format quick fs=ntfs label="SYSTEM"
    assign letter="S"
    active
    exit

    Bcdboot D:\Windows /s S: /f BIOS

    And I assume D is the SSD OS you want to Boot, so you can delete the C OS you are now using from the HDD..
    Do I enter everything in command line exactly as you have it typed?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 54
    Windows 10 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #17

    whs said:
    That is strange. D shows as a primary partition - at least in your picture. Has that changed.
    Nothing has changed. When I go to my computer, d is there, I can get in and see all my stuff, it says D, disk 1 in disk management too
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 17,246
    Windows 11 Pro
       #18

    So now it's time for the old standby method. Install Macrium Reflect Free. Create a Macrium Reflect rescue USB/DVD. Make sure the computer can boot from the Macrium Reflect rescue USB/DVD. Disconnect the HDD. Boot from the Macrium Reflect rescue USB/DVD. Under the restore menu will be a utility to fix Windows startup problems. Run that utility with only the SSD connected.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 54
    Windows 10 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #19

    This didn't work. It sees the ssd with windows 10. After I select and hit next it says no active partition
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 54
    Windows 10 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #20

    NavyLCDR said:
    So now it's time for the old standby method. Install Macrium Reflect Free. Create a Macrium Reflect rescue USB/DVD. Make sure the computer can boot from the Macrium Reflect rescue USB/DVD. Disconnect the HDD. Boot from the Macrium Reflect rescue USB/DVD. Under the restore menu will be a utility to fix Windows startup problems. Run that utility with only the SSD connected.
    I don't think the ssd has a boot loader nothing ever works! So frustrating
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:22.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums