Revert to factory condition after installation of WIN 10

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 46
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #21

    cereberus said:
    Hold your horses.

    You never said you wanted to go back to Windows 10!!!

    You do not need to go back to Windows 7 to activate Windows 10.

    All you need to do to activate Windows 10, is to enter the windows 7 key in the activation menu

    settings, update and security, activation, change your product key.

    This assumes you are running new Windows 10 version 10586, not older version 10240.

    Open a command prompt, and top line will say 10240 (old) or 10586 (new).

    If it says 10240, then you will need to reinstall latest version first.

    So what version of Windows 10 do you have?
    Thank you but now I am totally confused.

    My understanding was that the only way of getting the free upgrade to the applicable version of WIN 10 (from WIN 7) was to use the MS process of doing an upgrade. Once you have a successful install by upgrade you can then do a clean install of WIN 10.

    Has this changed then?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 51
    Win 7
       #22

    You can do a clean install for free if you created a Win 10 install disc/usb stick. The activation of 10 is tied to the hardware in the system it was upgraded from 7 or 8.1.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 13,678
    Windows10
       #23

    AjayK47 said:
    Thank you but now I am totally confused.

    My understanding was that the only way of getting the free upgrade to the applicable version of WIN 10 (from WIN 7) was to use the MS process of doing an upgrade. Once you have a successful install by upgrade you can then do a clean install of WIN 10.

    Has this changed then?
    This was changed with the November update (version 10586). You can now clean install and activate using old key.

    Check your version as I said above, and let us know.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 46
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #24

    cereberus said:
    This was changed with the November update (version 10586). You can now clean install and activate using old key.

    Check your version as I said above, and let us know.
    Thank you for this help. The build is 10240 and it is also Windows 10 Pro when it should be Windows 10 Home going on the basis that the old Windows 7 was Home Premium.

    So how do I install the latest build of Windows 10 Home and the latest build bearing in mind Windows 10 pro is currently on the machine.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 17,349
    Windows 11 Pro
       #25

    AjayK47 said:
    Thank you for this help. The build is 10240 and it is also Windows 10 Pro when it should be Windows 10 Home going on the basis that the old Windows 7 was Home Premium.

    So how do I install the latest build of Windows 10 Home and the latest build bearing in mind Windows 10 pro is currently on the machine.
    Windows 10

    Scroll down to the download tool blue box. Download and run the Media Creation Tool. Insert a USB drive at least 8gb and let the media creation tool create the Windows 10 USB.

    WARNING: The hard drive will get erased below.

    Boot the computer from the USB that the media creation tool creates. Select 32 or 64 bit, probably 64 bit. If it asks for a product key click I don't have a product key. Select home version. Install now. Then select custom install. Delete all the partitions on the hard drive and install Windows 10 to the unallocated space. (some of these choices might be out of order). When it asks for product key, click skip or do this later. Wait until Windows 10 Home gets all the way installed. Then go to settings, update and security, activation, change product key, enter the Windows 7 product key there.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 13,678
    Windows10
       #26

    AjayK47 said:
    Thank you for this help. The build is 10240 and it is also Windows 10 Pro when it should be Windows 10 Home going on the basis that the old Windows 7 was Home Premium.

    So how do I install the latest build of Windows 10 Home and the latest build bearing in mind Windows 10 pro is currently on the machine.
    Create a usb installation stick using this link, boot from it, select custom install, select home version, and do not enter any keys.
    Recommend you delete all partitions when at the install page.

    Windows 10

    Edit: NavyLCDR just answered before me. Follow his guide. You may not need to enter Windows key.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 150
    Windows 10 Pro
       #27

    cereberus said:
    If you cannot get it working, you can download an iso from here, create a bootable usb stick, and activatr using COA key.

    Microsoft DigitalRiver Mirror

    Hey Cereberus

    I've been looking for this forever!! Ty
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 46
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #28

    Thank you all so much. Everything has worked perfectly and activated / registered using the original WIN 7 product key on the COA.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 13,678
    Windows10
       #29

    AjayK47 said:
    Thank you all so much. Everything has worked perfectly and activated / registered using the original WIN 7 product key on the COA.
    Great news.

    BTW (not a criticism but just to help you)- for future reference, it would be helpful next time you post a question, clearly state what your objective is. Had you stated initially, you wanted to return to Windows 10, we would have got to this stage much more quickly.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 46
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #30

    cereberus said:
    Great news.

    BTW (not a criticism but just to help you)- for future reference, it would be helpful next time you post a question, clearly state what your objective is. Had you stated initially, you wanted to return to Windows 10, we would have got to this stage much more quickly.
    My apologies - I'm learning all the time and all the help you have provided has been brilliant. Thank you so much.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums