Clean install and recovery console in Win 10?


  1. Posts : 136
    Win 10
       #1

    Clean install and recovery console in Win 10?


    So if I use the free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10. Can't I choose to save the install files and either install later or reinstall if need to or if things don't work out do a clean install?

    What about the recovery console in Win 10? Can I make a Win 10 install DVD? Or would I use the Win 8 DVD for the recovery console?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 17,369
    Windows 11 Pro
       #2

    GerryPeters said:
    So if I use the free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10. Can't I choose to save the install files and either install later or reinstall if need to or if things don't work out do a clean install?
    Yes

    GerryPeters said:
    What about the recovery console in Win 10? Can I make a Win 10 install DVD? Or would I use the Win 8 DVD for the recovery console?
    I would use this to just do the upgrade with in the first place:
    USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    Once the flash drive is made, just insert it with the previous OS running and run setup.exe on it. That will do the upgrade.

    If you want to create the recovery drive after upgrading to Windows 10 then:
    Recovery Drive - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    Before you upgrade, I would highly recommend you make an image of the current OS:
    Creating a backup image of your computer, drive or partitions - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

    Before you do a clean install, I recommend this:
    Windows10 reinstall or restore or...? - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,567
    Windows 10 Pro
       #3

    NavyLCDR said:
    ....
    Before you upgrade, I would highly recommend you make an image of the current OS:
    v5: How to create a disk image (Backup, Image, v5)
    ...
    Just adding a note (not that it makes a huge difference) that the more current version of that guidance is shown here: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...+or+partitions
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:11.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums