Toshiba P300 won't upgrade

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 123
    Windows 10
       #1

    Toshiba P300 won't upgrade


    Been trying for 2 days to upgrade my sister's Toshiba Satellite P300, model PSPCCC-0K501C laptop from Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit to Windows 10 home 64 bit.
    It always stops at 32% and 5% of installing features and drivers. I've tried using the upgrade wizard, Windows update and directly from the media creation tool. They all fail at the same place. Her DVD drive doesn't work so I can't try that but I did use the media creation tool to make a USB install disk drive. I removed the DVD hardware and the wifi card incase they were causing the issue and ran the install from USB, it stuck again at 32% and 5% of installing features and drivers. When I reboot Windows 7 is restored.
    This morning I tried another install after running msconfig, hiding all Microsoft services, unchecking everything on Startup and Services tabs and it stopped at the same place.

    I know it is not on the Toshiba supported list but does that mean Toshiba won't provide support or that the laptop will just not accept a Windows 10 installation? Has anyone successfully upgraded one of these or is this planned obsolescence?
    Does anyone have any other ideas?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #2

    imaddicted2u said:
    Been trying for 2 days to upgrade my sister's Toshiba Satellite P300, model PSPCCC-0K501C laptop from Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit to Windows 10 home 64 bit.
    It always stops at 32% and 5% of installing features and drivers. I've tried using the upgrade wizard, Windows update and directly from the media creation tool. They all fail at the same place. Her DVD drive doesn't work so I can't try that but I did use the media creation tool to make a USB install disk drive. I removed the DVD hardware and the wifi card incase they were causing the issue and ran the install from USB, it stuck again at 32% and 5% of installing features and drivers. When I reboot Windows 7 is restored.
    This morning I tried another install after running msconfig, hiding all Microsoft services, unchecking everything on Startup and Services tabs and it stopped at the same place.

    I know it is not on the Toshiba supported list but does that mean Toshiba won't provide support or that the laptop will just not accept a Windows 10 installation? Has anyone successfully upgraded one of these or is this planned obsolescence?
    Does anyone have any other ideas?
    Hi.
    I have an old Toshiba laptop here (came with Vista) that I've got W10 running on, so I know it can be done. Part of the problem is Toshiba drivers, and part of it is the Toshiba software. Here's what I would do:

    Backup all data, grab keycodes for any paid software that will need to be reinstalled. Run Driver Magician Lite to backup your drivers (listed in RED). Might want to make a system image using Macrium Reflect Free, so you can put things back to the way they were if it doesn't work out.

    Download the ISO from MSTechBench and do a clean install. Have your W7 key handy, and use it to activate when asked for a keycode.

    Afterwards, run Windows Update to get all drivers updated per Windows. Then, if you still have any issues with anything, try using the backed up Toshiba drivers to correct. I found I had a graphics issue that was corrected by reverting the driver to an older one, rather than using the Windows standard graphics driver.

    Good luck and let us know how it goes.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 123
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Thankssimrick, I'll have to get permission from my sister before delving that deep. Don't need a family feud...lol.
    Do you know if there is a log file that might give a clue to what driver the install is halting on?

      My Computer


  4. Posts : 123
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Oops, may have answered my own question.
    Windows 10 Upgrade Log File Locations
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #5

    imaddicted2u said:
    Thankssimrick, I'll have to get permission from my sister before delving that deep. Don't need a family feud...lol.
    Do you know if there is a log file that might give a clue to what driver the install is halting on?
    imaddicted2u said:
    Oops, may have answered my own question.
    Windows 10 Upgrade Log File Locations
    Yeah, gotta keep the family happy!

    It may not be a driver - it may be some of the Toshiba software (Mine was the Toshiba HotKeys that was a problem).
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 123
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Seems this isn't true....lol
    Toshiba P300 won't upgrade-nadine-10-upgrade-status.jpg
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #7

    imaddicted2u said:
    Seems this isn't true....lol
    Toshiba P300 won't upgrade-nadine-10-upgrade-status.jpg
    Yeah, can't always believe the GWX program....
    You could try upgrading again (and again and again?), and even if you do get it upgraded, you may find problems, which will only be resolved by a clean install. So, yes, your PC will work with Windows 10, but best with a clean install.

    If you want to try upgrading again, be sure to:

    Be in an administrative account, uninstall any 3rd-party antivirus, any monitoring software (like Speccy), disconnect any external drives (except the USB if you're installing from that).

    You could also try recovering the laptop to factory condition and upgrading from that point, but you'd still have to uninstall AV.

    Up to you (or your sister).
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 113
    win 10 pro
       #8

    Maybe your laptop won't run Windows 10 ?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 123
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Ok, thanks again. If she decides to proceed I'll back things up as you suggested but since her W7 is an upgrade from Vista, she doesn't have the W7 key. I used Belarc Advisor to display the Windows 7 key. Can I be sure this is the right key and can I enter it as the W7 key in a fresh W10 install to activate Windows, I thought you had to do the upgrade, then you can clean install W10 anytime? In which case I would clean install W7 home premium, then upgrade to W10 home.
    I've already attempted many installs with no AV.
    Something I forgot to mention was this error that displays after the failed W10 install is restored to W7:
    0xc1900101-0c30018
    The installation failed in FIRST_BOOT with an error during SYSPREP.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 123
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    John035 said:
    Maybe your laptop won't run Windows 10 ?
    Maybe not but it did successfully pass the Microsoft Windows 10 compatibility test.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:43.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums