Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    14 Jan 2016 #11

    The setuperr log file is of no help, the logging stops at the reboot just before it starts installing features and drivers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    14 Jan 2016 #12
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,436
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
    Ok, thanks again. If she decides to proceed I'll back things up as you suggested but since her W7 is an upgrade from Vista, she doesn't have the W7 key. I used Belarc Advisor to display the Windows 7 key. Can I be sure this is the right key and can I enter it as the W7 key in a fresh W10 install to activate Windows, I thought you had to do the upgrade, then you can clean install W10 anytime? In which case I would clean install W7 home premium, then upgrade to W10 home.
    I've already attempted many installs with no AV.
    Something I forgot to mention was this error that displays after the failed W10 install is restored to W7:
    0xc1900101-0c30018
    The installation failed in FIRST_BOOT with an error during SYSPREP.
    Have a read of this thread, paying attention especially from post #30 on. You'll see that everything failing before the first boot was a driver issue.
    Solved Windows 10 Error code 0xc1900101-0x30018 - Windows 10 Forums
    There are a few ideas in there can you might want to try as well. One person went into Device Manager and manually checked for updates to drivers for everything listed. And, make sure you have the latest BIOS on the system.

    Most everyone who succeeded, ended up doing an upgrade in which they chose "keep nothing" (a clean install).

    A really easy way to test if the system will run W10, and verify the W7 key will activate the system, is to throw a different hard drive in there and clean install to that, and see if it works. Your W7 key can be verified using this tool:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

    The ISO from Media Creation Tool or TechBench is the latest version, which activates by inputting a valid W7/W8.x key, so the upgrade is no longer a necessary step.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    15 Jan 2016 #13

    Thanks, I'll have a look. Good idea installing to a different drive to test it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    15 Jan 2016 #14
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,436
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
    Thanks, I'll have a look. Good idea installing to a different drive to test it.
    Let us know how you make out.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    15 Jan 2016 #15

    Maybe I'm missing something. I downloaded the iso from TechBench. Followed the instructions provided for creating a USB key. When I tried to boot the laptop from it, I got OS not found. I double checked via multiboot that it is the USB key that is selected as the boot drive. The TechBench script puts the W10 Installation files in a folder called TechBench. It doesn't appear that a bootable USB key is created through their process, just a folder to run setup from on an existing Windows installation. The HDD I'm trying to use is blank.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    15 Jan 2016 #16

    Tried using the W7 key in the W10 install made from the media creation tool, I didn't think it would take it, it didn't.
    On to plan X. I'm making a bootable (I hope) USB of the TechBench ISO using the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool.
    Earlier today I uninstalled all the Toshiba bundled software and updated all device drivers. The only thing that took an upgrade was the Microsoft virtual wan miniport adapter. I tried the install again, same problem, stuck at 32% (5% of installing features and drivers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    15 Jan 2016 #17
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,436
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something. I downloaded the iso from TechBench. Followed the instructions provided for creating a USB key. When I tried to boot the laptop from it, I got OS not found. I double checked via multiboot that it is the USB key that is selected as the boot drive. The TechBench script puts the W10 Installation files in a folder called TechBench. It doesn't appear that a bootable USB key is created through their process, just a folder to run setup from on an existing Windows installation. The HDD I'm trying to use is blank.
    Hi.
    The ISO can be mounted in a W8 system and then just copied to the USB drive (nothing else can be on it). I know you're working with a W7 machine, and that's a little more complicated, so I'll look up the instructions on how to do that (I have it here somewhere).

    EDIT: Here it is. Just copy the extracted files to the empty USB drive. Yeah, you can't have the files in a folder called TechBench...
    ISO - Disk Image File : Extract to the Desktop - Windows 7 Help Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    15 Jan 2016 #18
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,436
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
    Tried using the W7 key in the W10 install made from the media creation tool, I didn't think it would take it, it didn't.
    It wouldn't accept the W7 key? So, you got the OS installed but wouldn't activate? I am just wondering - is the W7 key an "upgrade only" key, and maybe that's why? In that case, an upgrade would be required. So, can you use your blank hard drive to get the original OS, then W7 upgrade on there (just a bare install that's activated), and then try upgrading using the TechBench ISO, by running setup.exe from within the W7 OS?

    Quote Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
    On to plan X. I'm making a bootable (I hope) USB of the TechBench ISO using the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool.
    Earlier today I uninstalled all the Toshiba bundled software and updated all device drivers. The only thing that took an upgrade was the Microsoft virtual wan miniport adapter. I tried the install again, same problem, stuck at 32% (5% of installing features and drivers.
    Tried the install with the Media Creation Tool?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    15 Jan 2016 #19

    Yes, was via the media creation tool. I'm going to try again on the original HDD using the ISO from Tech Bench.
    The good news is, On a bare HDD the W7 key in Tech Bench USB ISO install = Windows 10 is activated.
    So this laptop can indeed run Windows 10 and the Tech Bench ISO can be used to clean install the Win 10 OS.
    Only 1 exclamation mark in Device Manager on a Mass storage controller. I'll be looking for a driver for hardware id PCI\VEN_1217&DEV_7130&REV_01
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    15 Jan 2016 #20
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,436
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
    Yes, was via the media creation tool. I'm going to try again on the original HDD using the ISO from Tech Bench.
    The good news is, On a bare HDD the W7 key in Tech Bench USB ISO install = Windows 10 is activated.
    YAY! I knew it!

    Quote Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
    So this laptop can indeed run Windows 10 and the Tech Bench ISO can be used to clean install the Win 10 OS.
    Now that W10 is activated on that machine, it's not necessary to input a key anymore, ever, for any future installs.

    Quote Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
    Only 1 exclamation mark in Device Manager on a Mass storage controller. I'll be looking for a driver for hardware id PCI\VEN_1217&DEV_7130&REV_01
    Is it "unknown"? Can you right-click and select update, and let windows install?

    Worst case, make a list of your devices in W10, then throw the old HDD back in and do a compare to figure out what it is. You can use Driver Magician Lite to grab the driver from the W7 system, and install it in the W10 system. Keep in mind it may not be a hardware driver, but something like Toshiba HotKeys, which doesn't work in W10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Toshiba C660-1UX - in place upgrade, or better off with a new machine?
Hi, all. I'm new here, and a bit of a Luddite. (Terrible combination, I know.) I'm running a Toshiba C660-1UX machine, which I purchased in October 2011. It currently has 2GB of RAM, although I can upgrade to four gigabytes. Windows 7 and...
General Support
Slow Performance On TOSHIBA M50-A-11H
Hi there! I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I hope I will like this forum. SO lets get into my problem... I installed Windows 10 on my TOSHIBA notebook with Media Creation Tool. It works fine but it has some performance problems...
Performance & Maintenance
Solved On Toshiba Laptop need to go back to Win 7 from 10
Hi, My friend installed the 10 he was offered on his Win 7 Toshiba laptop and is having problems so wants to go back. Any advise please although I know the info is very lean maybe this is a common thing. Thanks oz
Installation and Upgrade
Toshiba BIOS
Dear All, After updating both of my Toshiba laptops when I first boot my laptops they show the Toshiba but I can't press F2 to enter BIOS any ideas Thank you
Installation and Upgrade
Toshiba Satelite Out of box reset
Hi all, This is my first post on here so apologies if this is in the wrong section. I am having great difficulty with factory resetting my Toshiba Satelite laptop. I have searched and searched online on how to perform this factory reset and...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:08.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums