Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    03 Jan 2016 #1

    More urgent help needed please


    I have downloaded the W10 ISO file onto a USB stick, in preparation for carrying out a clean install. I have then rebooted my pc and pressed F12 and chose the USB stick as the boot up method.

    However, when I have done this I am still getting a black screen with a blinking curser in the top left hand corner. It would seem that I am still doing something wrong, can someone point me in the right driection please.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    03 Jan 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,647
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Just an ISO file on the USB is not going to let you boot from it. You have to make a bootable USB first. You have to use something like Rufus: Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way to do that.
    If your MB doesn't have UEFI bios this one: Windows USB/DVD Download Tool - Microsoft Store is easier to use.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    03 Jan 2016 #3

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Just an ISO file on the USB is not going to let you boot from it. You have to make a bootable USB first. You have to use something like Rufus: Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way to do that.
    If your MB doesn't have UEFI bios this one: Windows USB/DVD Download Tool - Microsoft Store is easier to use.
    Hi CountMike, thanks for coming in on this, I keep seeing references to UEFI, what is this and how do I know if I've got it?

    Do I download Rufus onto the USB or onto the pc itself? Thanks again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    03 Jan 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,647
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Not exactly, you download Rufus to your existing system and run it, it's portable self executing file, no need for installation.
    Choose your USB device.
    Quick format.
    Create bootable USB disk using > choose "ISO image" and point it to wherever that ISO image is, preferably on HDD.
    Push Start and it should make a bootable USB.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    03 Jan 2016 #5

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Not exactly, you download Rufus to your existing system and run it, it's portable self executing file, no need for installation.
    Choose your USB device.
    Quick format.
    Create bootable USB disk using > choose "ISO image" and point it to wherever that ISO image is, preferably on HDD.
    Push Start and it should make a bootable USB.
    I think I've got it sorted now thank you. However, I'm not 100% sure that the process completed properly as although the green bar was filled up as if the process had been completed, the word 'Start' was still highlighted and so I'm not sure if the process had in fact jammed up. Is there any way that I can tell if the 'boot' process was completed ok?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    03 Jan 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,647
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Try booting from it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    03 Jan 2016 #7
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,498
    Windows 10 Professional

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose1940 View Post
    I think I've got it sorted now thank you. However, I'm not 100% sure that the process completed properly as although the green bar was filled up as if the process had been completed, the word 'Start' was still highlighted and so I'm not sure if the process had in fact jammed up. Is there any way that I can tell if the 'boot' process was completed ok?
    View the 'Stick' in Explorer, if it has 9 items totaling approx. 3.65GB, you should be good to go.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    03 Jan 2016 #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    View the 'Stick' in Explorer, if it has 9 items totaling approx. 3.65GB, you should be good to go.
    hi Edwin, I have had a look and there are 9 items but only 5 of them have a size by them and they amount to 1592kb. However, the clean install has completed but now I am concerned as to whether I have actually got all of the O/S
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    03 Jan 2016 #9
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,647
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose1940 View Post
    hi Edwin, I have had a look and there are 9 items but only 5 of them have a size by them and they amount to 1592kb. However, the clean install has completed but now I am concerned as to whether I have actually got all of the O/S
    There's no such thing as part of OS !!! Wouldn't even boot if anything was missing.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    03 Jan 2016 #10
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,498
    Windows 10 Professional

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose1940 View Post
    hi Edwin, I have had a look and there are 9 items but only 5 of them have a size by them and they amount to 1592kb. However, the clean install has completed but now I am concerned as to whether I have actually got all of the O/S
    You would select all items and right click for 'Properties'.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000050.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	56855
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Really urgent my windows tablet has crashed!!! Help!!!!
When i was editing my new YouTube video on Windows Movie Maker on my Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700(I5 Core/4GB RAM) and i stupidly kept ignoring the low RAM warning signs telling me to close Movie Maker so when i gone in to full sceen mode...
General Support
PLEASE help screenshooting and lagging URGENT
I REAAALLLLLY need help please O please...... I did the windows 10 upgrade from 8. since then I can no longer screen shoot and everything lags for about 5 seconds, be it the mouse, or any keys ( I am a complete idiot where computers are concerned, I...
General Support
Solved Toshiba Satelite Pro C70B34U - PLS HELP URGENT!!
Hi!!! Please can anyone help me?? I am due to fly out for 3 months to south america in a few hours. My laptop broke (I am a graphic artist and use adobe software a lot) - the insurance company replaced it with this toshiba. I updated to...
Drivers and Hardware
Help urgent
Help I bought a copy of windows 10 and now the person is saying they are going to revoke the windows licence can they do this and what does it mean
General Support
Uninstall Help! URGENT!!!!
Hello guys, I have been using windows 10 TP build 9926 for about a week on my SP3. I've noticed some bugs but overall was great. But there is one issue that is bothering me and I wanna go back to windows 8.1 due to that. The issue is that the...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums