SSD Upgrade

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 32
    Win10 Home
       #1

    SSD Upgrade


    I have a Dell laptop that was preloaded with Win10. I'm getting ready to upgrade from the 1TB HDD to a 500GB SSD. What is the best way to migrate (or install) Win10 to the new SSD?

    Thanks!
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 111
    windows 8.1
       #2

    jbdiesellife said:
    I have a Dell laptop that was preloaded with Win10. I'm getting ready to upgrade from the 1TB HDD to a 500GB SSD. What is the best way to migrate (or install) Win10 to the new SSD?

    Thanks!
    Down load Macrium Reflect free from internet on your dell, using external enclosure and clone your dell to SSD.
    Install the SSD to your dell, that should do it.
    If you want to clean install win 10, download win 10 iso from microsoft creation tool called media creation tool on a thumb drive, and clean install OS to your dell.
      My Computer


  3. whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #3

    Just make sure you transfer all partitions.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 32
    Win10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #4

    ramram55 said:
    Down load Macrium Reflect free from internet on your dell, using external enclosure and clone your dell to SSD.
    Install the SSD to your dell, that should do it.
    If you want to clean install win 10, download win 10 iso from microsoft creation tool called media creation tool on a thumb drive, and clean install OS to your dell.
    I've never heard of Macrium Reflect. Thank you so much! I'm coming back from Apple so cloning drives is not unfamiliar to me at all! Thank you again!
      My Computer


  5. whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #5

    Maybe this helps with the task at hand.

    Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Help Forums
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,366
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #6

    If you are willing to do a clean install, Windows 10 will let you do so. I bought an HP laptop that came with an HDD, so after my Windows 10 upgrade went through, I pulled the HDD, installed an SSD, and performed a clean install of Windows 10. Haven't looked back since.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 111
    windows 8.1
       #7

    jbdiesellife said:
    I've never heard of Macrium Reflect. Thank you so much! I'm coming back from Apple so cloning drives is not unfamiliar to me at all! Thank you again!
    i am from apple too, very similar to super duper clone in osx, you are in business.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 32
    Win10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #8

    ramram55 said:
    i am from apple too, very similar to super duper clone in osx, you are in business.
    Perfect!
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 2
    10
       #9

    Hi I'm in the process of a similar upgrade and have a question. New HP Envy that has windows 10 installed. I have a new SDD that I'm going to install. I'd rather do a clean install vs cloning the HDD. Which tutorial do you recommend? I don't think I have a product key? Will I be able to connect to the net and have windows automatically see that it's valid? Sorry for the noob Qs...
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,366
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #10

    If your current Windows 10 is showing as activated, then you won't have any trouble with a clean install activating, either. I would have at least the chipset and network drivers downloaded to a USB flash drive first, so you can easily reconnect to the Internet after the clean install.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums