Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    24 Dec 2015 #1
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 36
    PC: Windows 7 / Laptop: Windows 10

    Purchased an open-box laptop, how do I do a fresh install?


    Just purchased a Dell laptop from BB (open-boxed) for my son, he's 6, first laptop. He's going to love Santa.
    Anyways, I assume that Geek Squad wipes everything before selling it again? However, is their a way to do a fresh install, a reset or whatever you want to call it? I want it back to factory settings.

    Windows 10 was preinstalled. Will I need to purchase a Win10 CD to start over? I want the hdd wiped clean, nothing left over, especially any Dell bloatware. I'm not tech savvy with laptops but their is only around 800GB of space left on a 1TB hdd. I know Win10 takes up space but this seems a little much. I have to do this tonight before I wrap it up.

    Another dumb question. After I do the reset how do I properly back up Windows in case of a crash, etc.? I have a PC that needs a safety net as well. I have no idea how to back up my PC and now his laptop. Yes, I know it's sad. I just remember back in the day, I had to burn like 10 DVD's do to a backup. I have no idea what method is most highly recommended today & how to do it.


    Thanks guys...
    Last edited by budmonster; 24 Dec 2015 at 22:00.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    24 Dec 2015 #2
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,486
    Windows 10 Professional

    Quote Originally Posted by budmonster View Post
    Just purchased a Dell laptop from BB (open-boxed) for my son, he's 6, first laptop. He's going to love Santa.
    Anyways, I assume that Geek Squad wipes everything before selling it again? However, is their a way to do a fresh install, a reset or whatever you want to call it? I want it back to factory settings.
    Windows 10 was preinstalled. Will I need to purchase a Win10 CD to start over? I want the hdd wiped clean, nothing left over, especially any Dell bloatware. I'm not tech savvy with laptops but their is only around 800GB of space left on a 1TB hdd. I know Win10 takes up space but this seems a little much. I have to do this tonight before I wrap it up.

    Another dumb question. After I do the reset how do I properly back up Windows in case of a crash, etc.? I have a PC that needs a safety net as well. I have no idea how to back up my PC and now his laptop. Yes, I know it's sad. I just remember back in the day, I had to burn like 10 DVD's do to a backup. I have no idea what method is most highly recommended today & how to do it.


    Thanks guys...
    Welcome to tenforums budmonster!

    To be honest with ya, I would wait. If something goes wrong at this 11th hour, you'll be up the creek!
    You could start though, by posting a whack of info about the machine.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    24 Dec 2015 #3
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    Posts : 5,548
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by budmonster View Post
    Just purchased a Dell laptop from BB (open-boxed) for my son, he's 6, first laptop. He's going to love Santa.
    Anyways, I assume that Geek Squad wipes everything before selling it again? However, is their a way to do a fresh install, a reset or whatever you want to call it? I want it back to factory settings.
    Windows 10 was preinstalled. Will I need to purchase a Win10 CD to start over? I want the hdd wiped clean, nothing left over, especially any Dell bloatware. I'm not tech savvy with laptops but their is only around 800GB of space left on a 1TB hdd. I know Win10 takes up space but this seems a little much. I have to do this tonight before I wrap it up.

    Another dumb question. After I do the reset how do I properly back up Windows in case of a crash, etc.? I have a PC that needs a safety net as well. I have no idea how to back up my PC and now his laptop. Yes, I know it's sad. I just remember back in the day, I had to burn like 10 DVD's do to a backup. I have no idea what method is most highly recommended today & how to do it.


    Thanks guys...
    Are you sure it's not factory set already? There should be a program installed already to make a factory restore disk of the laptop.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    24 Dec 2015 #4
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 36
    PC: Windows 7 / Laptop: Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Winuser View Post
    Are you sure it's not factory set already? There should be a program installed already to make a factory restore disk of the laptop.
    The laptop has a 1TB hdd but it only shows like some 800GB available? Is that normal? I was showed this link, is this what I should do?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    24 Dec 2015 #5
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 36
    PC: Windows 7 / Laptop: Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Welcome to tenforums budmonster!

    To be honest with ya, I would wait. If something goes wrong at this 11th hour, you'll be up the creek!
    You could start though, by posting a whack of info about the machine.
    Dell Inspiron 15 i5559-1347SLV
    5000 Series
    Model 5559 "Silver"

    I got it from Best Buy as open-box for $400. The link shows the incorrect laptop, it's suppose to be silver but the specs are correct I believe. Here are some other spec sheets on the machine: 1 2

    I haven't been able to find this on Dells website, or an official spec sheet, except what is on the side of the box.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    24 Dec 2015 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,287
    Windows 10 Home

    Not sure why it would have 200GB taken already. My new Dell laptop purchased in June had no more than 40 GB or so taken up on its 500GB HDD. Was it packaged with a load of extra software?

    That page does give instructions for a factory reset through option 4. You should keep the laptop plugged into a power source, not just on battery, while doing a factory reset. I myself would want to do this for an open box purchase, regardless of where it came from. If would really be prudent, however, to make factory recovery media using Dell Backup and Recovery as soon as possible.

    Best you look up that specific laptop at Dell support online - give it the service tag from the bottom of the laptop (which should match that on the side of the factory box).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    24 Dec 2015 #7
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 1,647
    Win 10 X64 Pro 15063

    The Dell reset may include all of the crapware that Dell was paid to install.

    A 1 TB drive would typically show about 931 GB in Windows. (No scam. To an HD manufacturer, a GB is 1E9 bytes. In Windows, it's 2^30 = 1.074E9 bytes.) Even if the Dell came with 131 GB consumed rather than 200, that's ridiculous.

    I wouldn't recommend fooling with it on Christmas Eve.

    It's easy enough to download an .iso of Win 10 for a new install (Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums), but I'm not familiar with the details of activation on a laptop with a bulk license.

    The main practical device that's large enough to backup a 1TB drive is an external hard drive. The good news is that they are fairly inexpensive. The bad news is that they are hard disks. (Drop one a foot or two while it's spun up, and it may not survive the experience.) I have also used large (64 or 128 GB) flash drives to back up an OS partition, but they aren't large enough to back up hundreds of gigabytes of data, even with data compression.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    25 Dec 2015 #8
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 36
    PC: Windows 7 / Laptop: Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Word Man View Post
    Not sure why it would have 200GB taken already. My new Dell laptop purchased in June had no more than 40 GB or so taken up on its 500GB HDD. Was it packaged with a load of extra software?

    That page does give instructions for a factory reset through option 4. You should keep the laptop plugged into a power source, not just on battery, while doing a factory reset. I myself would want to do this for an open box purchase, regardless of where it came from. If would really be prudent, however, to make factory recovery media using Dell Backup and Recovery as soon as possible.

    Best you look up that specific laptop at Dell support online - give it the service tag from the bottom of the laptop (which should match that on the side of the factory box).
    Wouldn't Option 3: Reset Windows 10 using Push Button Reset be my best option as it says:
    This is not a Dell factory image reset, this process will install the basic Windows 10 operating system on your computer without any Dell factory-installed apps. This process formats the hard drive and removes all data. Be sure you have backed up your files prior to beginning this task. Some Dell tablets may be configured to add Dell factory-installed software during this process.
    Option 4 says
    If you would like to reset your computer to the Dell factory image as it was originally shipped, including Dell factory-installed apps and software, follow these steps:
    I thought the whole point was to put clean Win 10 on the laptop without any Dell apps/software (bloatware)? So 3, 4? Also, I was told to try a program called Decrap My Computer. I don't know anything about it, however a user posted it over at the TechSupport subreddit.

    By the way, thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    25 Dec 2015 #9
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 36
    PC: Windows 7 / Laptop: Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    The Dell reset may include all of the crapware that Dell was paid to install.

    A 1 TB drive would typically show about 931 GB in Windows. (No scam. To an HD manufacturer, a GB is 1E9 bytes. In Windows, it's 2^30 = 1.074E9 bytes.) Even if the Dell came with 131 GB consumed rather than 200, that's ridiculous.

    I wouldn't recommend fooling with it on Christmas Eve.

    It's easy enough to download an .iso of Win 10 for a new install (Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums), but I'm not familiar with the details of activation on a laptop with a bulk license.

    The main practical device that's large enough to backup a 1TB drive is an external hard drive. The good news is that they are fairly inexpensive. The bad news is that they are hard disks. (Drop one a foot or two while it's spun up, and it may not survive the experience.) I have also used large (64 or 128 GB) flash drives to back up an OS partition, but they aren't large enough to back up hundreds of gigabytes of data, even with data compression.
    I'm not tech savvy, I was thinking of putting a faster hdd in, 7200rpm or even a ssd if either are possible. Do I contact Dell about this or is their a website detailing what I can upgrade my laptop to. For example the laptop currently has 6GB or memory but could go up to 16GB, however what type or RAM would I need to buy, brand, etc.? I don't very much about that stuff. I would like to upgraded his hdd to a faster hdd or an ssd, then some more ram down the line.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    25 Dec 2015 #10
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    Posts : 5,548
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by budmonster View Post
    I'm not tech savvy, I was thinking of putting a faster hdd in, 7200rpm or even a ssd if either are possible. Do I contact Dell about this or is their a website detailing what I can upgrade my laptop to. For example the laptop currently has 6GB or memory but could go up to 16GB, however what type or RAM would I need to buy, brand, etc.? I don't very much about that stuff. I would like to upgraded his hdd to a faster hdd or an ssd, then some more ram down the line.
    If this laptop is for a 6 year old I wouldn't worry about upgrading the ram or HDD.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home
Hello, Just got a new Lenovo laptop with Win-10 Home to replace my older Win-7Pro laptop. This laptop has a whole bunch of junk software that Lenovo has installed. I was wondering what the best way is: - backup the system so in case I...
Installation and Upgrade
To 10 from fresh 7 install - Do I need install all 289 Win 7 updates?
I just installed Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Home Premium, using my Upgrade Disc, on a broken Vista machine. Windows Update says I have 289 important updates. Do I need to install these or can I go straight to Windows 10? In a possibly related...
Windows Updates and Activation
Clean install of Windows 10 on a laptop purchased from DELL
My current state: I ordered a laptop from DELL about 6 months ago that came with Windows 8.1 Pro on it. Since it was ordered from DELL I do not have access to my Windows 8.1 Pro Product Key. I recently downloaded the windows 10 upgrade tool from...
Installation and Upgrade
BSOD loop on boot from fresh Win 10 upgrade over fresh Win 7 install
This is on an old eMachines M6805 laptop that originally came with XP 32-bit. I put a fresh install of Windows 7 32-bit on it which ran fine. I then upgraded that to Windows 10 32-bit. The first time it booted up I was able to log in but got a...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
New Laptop Win 8.1 Uprade to Win 10 Using Purchased 64 bit OEM
I want to save time not updating anything on arrival and load the disk and go from there. Microsoft MFR# KW9-00140 Windows 10 64 bit. How do I activate, clean install, can I remove all partitions and make one also? Any details please respond with...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums