Help with win10 upgrade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 88
    Win 10 64 Bit
       #1

    Help with win10 upgrade


    My wife's computer could not upgrade to win 10 cause it had an old video card. I upgrade motherboard and video card. Win 7 is registered, but can not upgrade. The free upgrade tool still shows the other video card. Tried the media creation tool and still goes back to the upgrade box with the old card. Is there anyway to erase that upgrade box and redue it?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 124,797
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.739
       #2

    Check for any left over files or drivers from your old video card. Windows is still finding it somewhere. Check your device manager 1st just to see if its listing 2 video cards, then check your program folders for any left overs. Also just for backup reasons, download a program on this forum called Showkey which will give you the information on your currant Windows Key, incase you need it to upgrade to Windows 10.
    https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 88
    Win 10 64 Bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Yes, I uninstalled all of old drivers and software. Device manager only showing 1 card. I have my key already for the Win7.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 124,797
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.739
       #4

    Ok then also I would make a complete image backup next, keep this backup on a 2nd drive, external or internal. Incase your upgrade has problems, this will allow you to return to original OS, and try again. You can use Macrium Reflect if you want, its free and a excellent backup program. Read this link and see if this helps you with your upgrade.
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 88
    Win 10 64 Bit
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Ok. After messing with this stupid thing for hours, I decided to try the disk. I put the disk in and tried and the first time it failed. Tried again, this time with the updates. Let it go, and just got home from church and Bingo, Win10 installed and activated. Now to format and do a clean install on Sat. Thanks Mike for your help. MS does not make these things easy.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 88
    Win 10 64 Bit
    Thread Starter
       #6

    ok, got 1 last question. I remember reading about the high CPU and Drive usage and the workarounds and applied them to my computer, but forgot what they were and where to find them at. Can anyone help me with these?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 124,797
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.739
       #7

    Madness10 said:
    Ok. After messing with this stupid thing for hours, I decided to try the disk. I put the disk in and tried and the first time it failed. Tried again, this time with the updates. Let it go, and just got home from church and Bingo, Win10 installed and activated. Now to format and do a clean install on Sat. Thanks Mike for your help. MS does not make these things easy.
    Very glad you got your Windows 10 installed and activated!!! Good Job :)
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 124,797
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.739
       #8

    Madness10 said:
    ok, got 1 last question. I remember reading about the high CPU and Drive usage and the workarounds and applied them to my computer, but forgot what they were and where to find them at. Can anyone help me with these?
    Why don't you wait and see IF you actually have these problems 1st? Not all computers run into this problem.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 88
    Win 10 64 Bit
    Thread Starter
       #9

    OldMike65 said:
    Why don't you wait and see IF you actually have these problems 1st? Not all computers run into this problem.
    I am having the problems. I shut down runtime broker, but is still on the task manager, but not high cpu usage. I also disabled Cortana through the taskbar, but still shows up in task manager. Also the windows defender is taking up a lot of cpu. I will install Norton and see if defender is still high.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 124,797
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.739
       #10

    Madness10 said:
    I am having the problems. I shut down runtime broker, but is still on the task manager, but not high cpu usage. I also disabled Cortana through the taskbar, but still shows up in task manager. Also the windows defender is taking up a lot of cpu. I will install Norton and see if defender is still high.
    Ok 1st off Cortana will always show in your taskbar, even if its off. Also turning anything off in your taskbar is only temporary.
    On your runtime broker, their seems to be a fix for this. I will re-post what a user did to fix his problem with it. Windows defender will not run, once you install Nortons.

    Runtime Broker is a service called Time Broker, which can be disabled through editing the registry.
    Right-click on the Start Menu Icon. Go to RUN and type regedit.exe and select OK.

    Find the following entry:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker] "Start"=dword:00000003

    Change the 3 to a 4.

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TimeBroker] "Start"=dword:00000004

    4 is Disabled, 3 is Manual and 2 is Automatic startup.

    Before editing, the original value was 3. Set to 4 to disable. Just change the 3 to a 4 through the MODIFY menu selection, exit regedit and reboot your system.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:00.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums