Think I finally have my boot drive squared away

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

  1. Posts : 3,865
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       #21

    He could shrink C 16MB and then move to right - to open space for par 3 MSR..
    that would give the proper layout..

    he could use diskpart and shrink C - but MSR would be last partition
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,567
    Windows 10 Pro
       #22

    Kyhi said:
    He could shrink C 16MB and then move to right - to open space for par 3 MSR..
    that would give the proper layout..

    he could use diskpart and shrink C - but MSR would be last partition
    Understood and that's why I questioned par 3 versus par 1, i.e., with MiniTool in the mix (safe to assume easeus can do same), shrinking C and moving it right 16 MB seems the ticket for opening the MSR hole in the right spot.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 17,347
    Windows 11 Pro
       #23

    Just a silly observation here...but isn't the computer in question working just fine without the MSR partition?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 13,950
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
    Thread Starter
       #24

    Yup, working just fine so I guess this is a feel good operation.
    Surely with the attention to detail you've shown you can understand why I want this to look right, even if it doesn't make any functional difference?

    What am I missing if I don't have the MSR partition?
    What won't work.

    So far, I've not found anything that was not working correctly.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 17,347
    Windows 11 Pro
       #25

    Ztruker said:
    Surely with the attention to detail you've shown you can understand why I want this to look right, even if it doesn't make any functional difference?

    What am I missing if I don't have the MSR partition?
    What won't work.

    So far, I've not found anything that was not working correctly.
    Just because Windows creates something automatically does not mean it is "right". What is right to me is that everything works the way that I want it to with the setup that I want to have.

    The MSR appears to be free space that will be farmed out for future changes to the drive's partitioning:
    Windows and GPT FAQ - Windows 10 hardware dev

    The Microsoft Reserved Partition (MSR) reserves space on each disk drive for subsequent use by operating system software. ... For example, converting a basic disk to a dynamic disk causes the MSR on that disk to be reduced in size and a newly created partition holds the dynamic disk database.
    My feeling is that I am not planning on changing the way my current system operates regarding the disk partitions, so I don't feel the need to keep the MSR on it.

    This statement from the same link:

    Every GPT disk must contain an MSR.
    Is obviously false at this point in time. I've got two laptops with UEFI bios and GPT disks that run just fine without the MSR partition - and seems like yours is/was running just fine without it as well.

    Now, that being said, there have been people who have had upgrades to Windows 10 fail because their System Reserved partition (not to be confused with MSR - two different partitions) were too small and they had to use something like MiniTool Partition Wizard to make room for and expand the System Reserved partition. So my feeling is if at some point I discover that Windows complains about not having Microsoft's precious reserved disk space, I'll make it when I am forced to.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 13,673
    Windows10
       #26

    NavyLCDR said:
    Just because Windows creates something automatically does not mean it is "right". What is right to me is that everything works the way that I want it to with the setup that I want to have.

    The MSR appears to be free space that will be farmed out for future changes to the drive's partitioning:
    Windows and GPT FAQ - Windows 10 hardware dev



    My feeling is that I am not planning on changing the way my current system operates regarding the disk partitions, so I don't feel the need to keep the MSR on it.

    This statement from the same link:



    Is obviously false at this point in time. I've got two laptops with UEFI bios and GPT disks that run just fine without the MSR partition - and seems like yours is/was running just fine without it as well.

    Now, that being said, there have been people who have had upgrades to Windows 10 fail because their System Reserved partition (not to be confused with MSR - two different partitions) were too small and they had to use something like MiniTool Partition Wizard to make room for and expand the System Reserved partition. So my feeling is if at some point I discover that Windows complains about not having Microsoft's precious reserved disk space, I'll make it when I am forced to.
    You actually only need the EFI partition and C Drive partition as a minimum.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:39.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums