Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    22 Dec 2015 #1
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 87
    Windows 10

    Product key not accepted (duplicataion)


    I have just restored a saved version of a VM Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7. It had a digital entitlement but the restored machine required activation. I chose what I thought was the Product Key of the Win 7 machine prior to the upgrade but it was rejected. I now realise that I may have used the wrong key but it raises a question.

    How can you tell what Product Key you have used to activate an installation of Win10 which shows as activated?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    22 Dec 2015 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,288
    Windows 10 Home

    You may want to give ShowkeyPlus a whirl. Check it out here: https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html
    Last edited by Word Man; 22 Dec 2015 at 09:34. Reason: Corrected my naming of Superfly's application.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    22 Dec 2015 #3
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 87
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Well I tried to use ShowKey but I could not understand the instructions.
    Every time I tried to Retrieve key from backup it said the file SOFTWARE was in use.
    I may be thick but it should be easier than this.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    22 Dec 2015 #4

    Quote Originally Posted by MacNala View Post
    Well I tried to use ShowKey but I could not understand the instructions.
    Every time I tried to Retrieve key from backup it said the file SOFTWARE was in use.
    I may be thick but it should be easier than this.
    No, you are not thick... my instructions should be more explicit...

    Retrieving keys can only be done from a non-running Windows installation ( a.k.a backup) - the initial screen shows the keys found within the running system.
    If there is a forward arrow it means it found a backup and automates the retrieve function.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    22 Dec 2015 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 40,151
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    No, you are not thick... my instructions should be more explicit...

    Retrieving keys can only be done from a non-running Windows installation ( a.k.a backup) - the initial screen shows the keys found within the running system.
    If there is a forward arrow it means it found a backup and automates the retrieve function.
    Hmmm still a little confusing....because of the statement "Retrieving keys can only be done from a non-running Windows installation" Because it does find the only 2 keys ever used on this computer while it is running. The original key that came with this computer, and the upgraded key that I bought. I have many backups, but their is no way showkey could ever read them, because of its format. For my system Showkey works just prefect and displays the keys on my Running system with no problems.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    22 Dec 2015 #6

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    Hmmm still a little confusing....because of the statement "Retrieving keys can only be done from a non-running Windows installation" Because it does find the only 2 keys ever used on this computer while it is running. The original key that came with this computer, and the upgraded key that I bought. I have many backups, but their is no way showkey could ever read them, because of its format. For my system Showkey works just prefect and displays the keys on my Running system with no problems.
    Ok, let's try another way:
    The "Retrieve key from backup" function can only be done pointed at a non-running Windows installation ( a.k.a backup containing Windows files eg. Windows.old or mounted backup image)
    The initial screen shows the keys found within the running system.
    If there is a forward arrow it means it found a backup and automates the retrieve function.

    Phew...! I so need a business analyst to do this stuff... LOL
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    22 Dec 2015 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,814
    10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MacNala View Post
    How can you tell what Product Key you have used to activate an installation of Win10 which shows as activated?
    Does it store your 7 key at all if you upgrade though? I can't tell because I've since done a clean install so ShowKey only shows the generic 3V66T key. (I'm activated though digital entitlement).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    22 Dec 2015 #8
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 40,151
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Ok, let's try another way:
    The "Retrieve key from backup" function can only be done pointed at a non-running Windows installation ( a.k.a backup containing Windows files eg. Windows.old or mounted backup image)
    The initial screen shows the keys found within the running system.
    If there is a forward arrow it means it found a backup and automates the retrieve function.

    Phew...! I so need a business analyst to do this stuff... LOL
    I'm sorry Superfly..... was just making sure other people knew exactly what your GREAT program does. Has just more than one way to find keys. I love Showkey!!!
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    22 Dec 2015 #9
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 40,151
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by lx07 View Post
    Does it store your 7 key at all if you upgrade though? I can't tell because I've since done a clean install so ShowKey only shows the generic 3V66T key. (I'm activated though digital entitlement).
    Did for me lx07, I did a clean install, and it still found original windows 8.1 home key AND my retail windows 10 pro key. I bought this key...

    I could check my other computer, that is running windows 10 pro also, but upgraded from windows 7 ultimate. if you want.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    22 Dec 2015 #10

    Quote Originally Posted by lx07 View Post
    Does it store your 7 key at all if you upgrade though? I can't tell because I've since done a clean install so ShowKey only shows the generic 3V66T key. (I'm activated though digital entitlement).
    A clean install will remove all traces of the previous key. It does save the previous key during upgrades though, I guess for rollback purposes.
    Digital entitlement is a Store licence granted, as we know, based on previous activation - the generic key is just to identify the edition.


    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    I'm sorry Superfly..... was just making sure other people knew exactly what your GREAT program does. Has just more than one way to find keys. I love Showkey!!!
    I'm actually glad that you highlight these things ... Thanx for that
    - As you say it helps make a better experience for all.
    Last edited by Superfly; 22 Dec 2015 at 13:09. Reason: .... can't get the words right
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade
Having upgraded my laptop and Surface Pro to Win 10, my neighbour asked me to do the same for his laptop running its original OEM applied Win7.1 Home premium. Unlike my 2 machines, when the win10 upgrade gets to the Product Key entry screen,...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Windows key not accepted on upgrade install
I upgraded my computer last night, and was stuck at one point when the W10 installer kept asking for my Windows key. Was running W7x64 SP1, activated and all legal. I typed in my product key and it said something on the order of "Sorry, that key...
Windows Updates and Activation
Product Key
Anyone know how to find the product key for 10?
Windows Updates and Activation
Connecting to WiFi router, no spaces accepted for key
For some reason in the latest build 9926, I can no longer enter my WiFi key (which contains a long phrase with spaces in it). The keyboard doesn't allow entry of the space.. it just doesn't do anything. Anyone else have this issue? It worked...
Network and Sharing
Solved Product Key ?
This is just a question out of curiosity. Did anyone get asked to type in the product key? I saved it to a text file but I don't remember being asked for it when I installed Windows 10.
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:59.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums