Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    10 Jan 2015 #11
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,618
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I can boot from the thumb drive but it stalls at the Windows logo with the juggling balls
    Did you disable secure boot and set the BIOS to legacy mode ??
    My desktop PC, the one I created it on, doesn't have a UEFI BIOS, so it doesn't have those BIOS options. My laptop listed the thumb drive with the UEFI option in the quick boot menu. I'd have to try it again to see if its also listed in legacy mode. I didn't change any settings on my laptop. The TechNet procedure says the finished thumb drive will be compatible with normal BIOS and UEFI but I couldn't get all the commands to work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    10 Jan 2015 #12
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,618
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    whs, Jimbo and I are only suggesting different ways to copy the .wim to your drive. The end result is the same (I've also made my USB stick a RAW disk and installed via VirtualBox which is again the same).

    Via USB2 no thumb drives seem usable to me. I've used a USB2 HDD and it was (just about) OK. I don't own a USB3 stick but it should be better (you would like to think). If I use a decent SD card (on my mac host) it is OKish.

    If your boot is halting try rebooting a few times. If that doesn't work you are most likely having a problem with a screen driver which I'm afraid I don't know about.
    I probably should have posted this in the tutorial thread but didn't. I've tried several times with several different methods to make a Windows to go on my thumb drive and failed. I have access to Windows 8.1 Enterprise and have done it the official way. That portable drive worked fine in several of my PC's without having to mess with BIOS settings (other than boot order). I tried cloning it to my thumb drive but got a BSOD when I tried to use it. My official drive is a 5400 RPM Laptop IDE drive in a USB 2 external enclosure. It works but its slow. Right now I'm pretty well going to give up on the thumb drive. I have a 256 GB SATA SSD still in the box that I think I will put in a USB 3.0 external enclosure I have and use that for my Windows To Go. I may even give that TechNet tutorial another go as I don't have enterprise installed on a PC at the moment.

    The kicker is the official WTG utility will not use removable media. Those official certified WTG thumb drives have the bit set so they show up as fixed disks. You pay a premium for them too.

    Using an SD card sounds interesting. I have a couple of decent Kinston cards and a USB SD Card reader. With the card in and the cap on it just looks like a bigish thumb drive. The largest capacity card I have is 32 GB. It might be just big enough though. I may have a go at using that.

    I had to hold the power button down to get out of the lock up. I did get the blue screen with the "Your PC needs to be repaired" or something like that, once. I just powered down again and let it boot up normally and all was fine. I wasn't sure what drive the repair was running from, internal or external. No harm done to any of the installs on my PC's, not that I can tell anyway. I'll play around with this somemore over the weekend and let you guys know what works and what doesn't. I'll have another look at the official tutorial again too. Bye for now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    10 Jan 2015 #13
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,618
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there.

    Actually an old laptop HDD (I replaced the laptops HDD with an SSD) works brilliantly for a Windows to Go -- I use a USB2==>SATA connector to connect the USB drive to the computer --perfectly fast enough even to run SKY GO to watch SKY SPORTS / SKY MOVIES from the Internet.

    A USB3 ==>SATA connector on a USB3 port would work even better.

    A 2.5 inch 320 GB laptop drive is almost as portable as a USB stick and much more durable (and robust). You can even get a 1TB laptop HDD for probably cheaper than a 64 GB USB 3 stick !!!!.

    You don't need any caddies etc and its very portable. The USB2 / 3 -->SATA cables only cost a few pence / cents / eurocents.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    The one I was using was an 80 gig 5400 RPM laptop IDE drive in a USB 2 enclosure. I do have a couple of SATA Laptop drives, I assume they are 5400 RPM, in USB 3 enclosures. They came out of our laptops when I replaced them with SSD's. I use them for backup at the moment. One is 500 GB and the other 750 GB. I think I'm going to pull the 500 out and replace it with a 256 GB SSD and see how that works for a WTG drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    10 Jan 2015 #14
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Posts : 804
    10 Pro Preview x64

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    The one I was using was an 80 gig 5400 RPM laptop IDE drive in a USB 2 enclosure. I do have a couple of SATA Laptop drives, I assume they are 5400 RPM, in USB 3 enclosures. They came out of our laptops when I replaced them with SSD's. I use them for backup at the moment. One is 500 GB and the other 750 GB. I think I'm going to pull the 500 out and replace it with a 256 GB SSD and see how that works for a WTG drive.
    You might want to check out this if you haven't (from whs) Windows 8 To Go - Setup on a USB Flash Drive or USB Disk - Page 21
    There is some good reading
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    10 Jan 2015 #15
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,618
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    The one I was using was an 80 gig 5400 RPM laptop IDE drive in a USB 2 enclosure. I do have a couple of SATA Laptop drives, I assume they are 5400 RPM, in USB 3 enclosures. They came out of our laptops when I replaced them with SSD's. I use them for backup at the moment. One is 500 GB and the other 750 GB. I think I'm going to pull the 500 out and replace it with a 256 GB SSD and see how that works for a WTG drive.
    You might want to check out this if you haven't (from whs) Windows 8 To Go - Setup on a USB Flash Drive or USB Disk - Page 21
    There is some good reading
    Yes, thanks. I bookmarked it for now, will read through it latter on. A quick glance and I see a Sandisk drive being mentioned. I have a couple of those and for what ever reason they show up as fixed disks. I'm not sure why Sandisk does this but they do, for their newer drives anyway. They would work for the official Windows to utility, except mine are only 8 GB drives. If I had bought a 64 gig Sandisk instead of a Kingston I'd likely be all set without all this messing around. Anyway for now I'm just going to sit back, have a coffee, and browse the forums a bit. Thanks for the replies guys.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    10 Jan 2015 #16
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,618
    Windows 10 IoT

    Ok, I put my Crucial SSD and put it in my external USB 3 enclosure. Then I followed the powershell commands listed in the TechNet article. Windows To Go Step by Step - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki I did this all on my desktop PC. When I try to boot from it I get:
    Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

    1. Insert your Windows Installation disc an restart your computer
    2. Choose your language settings, and the click "Next
    3. Click "Repair your computer"

    If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

    File: \Boot\BCD

    Status: 0x0000001

    Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data

    Then after a while it reboots automatically.

    On my laptop, if I select "UEFI entry for Windows to Go drive" I can boot into it. I think that entry is a left over from the last time I created a WTG drive through an enterprise install. I went though the first time setup etc with no issues. There is also a UEFI CR...(the SSD drive) entry in the boot menu. I tried that first and it started to run but rebooted and then loaded the native OS. No error screen that I could see, just the logo with the circle of balls. I then tried it in my desktop PC again and get the same error I posted above. It comes up very quickly. The black screen with the cursor in the top left corner then the error screen.

    I think my next step is to install Enterprise on my laptop and create an official drive with the WTG utility. Then try that drive on both PC's. I likely won't look at this thread again until I'm done.
    Last edited by alphanumeric; 10 Jan 2015 at 14:04. Reason: USB should have been UEFI
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    10 Jan 2015 #17
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7

    Via USB2 no thumb drives seem usable to me. I've used a USB2 HDD and it was (just about) OK. I don't own a USB3 stick but it should be better (you would like to think). If I use a decent SD card (on my mac host) it is OKish.
    USB2 is tough. Performance is very acceptable with an external SSD and a fast stick works also once you are past the boot. But I would recommend a fast USB3 stick or a disk via eSata.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    10 Jan 2015 #18

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there.

    Actually an old laptop HDD (I replaced the laptops HDD with an SSD) works brilliantly for a Windows to Go -- I use a USB2==>SATA connector to connect the USB drive to the computer --perfectly fast enough even to run SKY GO to watch SKY SPORTS / SKY MOVIES from the Internet.

    A USB3 ==>SATA connector on a USB3 port would work even better.

    A 2.5 inch 320 GB laptop drive is almost as portable as a USB stick and much more durable (and robust). You can even get a 1TB laptop HDD for probably cheaper than a 64 GB USB 3 stick !!!!.

    You don't need any caddies etc and its very portable. The USB2 / 3 -->SATA cables only cost a few pence / cents / eurocents.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    The one I was using was an 80 gig 5400 RPM laptop IDE drive in a USB 2 enclosure. I do have a couple of SATA Laptop drives, I assume they are 5400 RPM, in USB 3 enclosures. They came out of our laptops when I replaced them with SSD's. I use them for backup at the moment. One is 500 GB and the other 750 GB. I think I'm going to pull the 500 out and replace it with a 256 GB SSD and see how that works for a WTG drive.
    Hi there

    You don't need any caddies -- just remove the laptop HDD and use the SATA==>USB3/2 connectors and connect to a USB2 / USB3 port. --very acceptable performance on either USB2 or USB 3.

    I'm not sure about old IDE drives -- they probably would be slow.

    There actually doesn't seem to be much difference in performance with a 7200 (SAMSUNG) rpm or 5400 RPM (Seagate / WD) laptop SATA drive when connected to a USB2 / 3 port --the USB interface can't run at the native SATA speed anyway. On a USB3 connector both drives perform much faster than in the USB2 port though.

    (Internally when fitted to the laptop the 7200 rpm HDD blows away the 5400rpm drive - but both are real snail pace drives when compared to an SSD. You won't find too many 7200 rpm 2.5 inch laptop drives any more - they do use more power).

    The cable you need to use is shown below. Any similar will work --=forget about caddies etc for old laptop HDD's. !!!


    Cheers
    jimbo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails satausb.png  
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    10 Jan 2015 #19
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,618
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there.

    Actually an old laptop HDD (I replaced the laptops HDD with an SSD) works brilliantly for a Windows to Go -- I use a USB2==>SATA connector to connect the USB drive to the computer --perfectly fast enough even to run SKY GO to watch SKY SPORTS / SKY MOVIES from the Internet.

    A USB3 ==>SATA connector on a USB3 port would work even better.

    A 2.5 inch 320 GB laptop drive is almost as portable as a USB stick and much more durable (and robust). You can even get a 1TB laptop HDD for probably cheaper than a 64 GB USB 3 stick !!!!.

    You don't need any caddies etc and its very portable. The USB2 / 3 -->SATA cables only cost a few pence / cents / eurocents.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    The one I was using was an 80 gig 5400 RPM laptop IDE drive in a USB 2 enclosure. I do have a couple of SATA Laptop drives, I assume they are 5400 RPM, in USB 3 enclosures. They came out of our laptops when I replaced them with SSD's. I use them for backup at the moment. One is 500 GB and the other 750 GB. I think I'm going to pull the 500 out and replace it with a 256 GB SSD and see how that works for a WTG drive.
    Hi there

    You don't need any caddies -- just remove the laptop HDD and use the SATA==>USB3/2 connectors and connect to a USB2 / USB3 port. --very acceptable performance on either USB2 or USB 3.

    I'm not sure about old IDE drives -- they probably would be slow.

    There actually doesn't seem to be much difference in performance with a 7200 (SAMSUNG) rpm or 5400 RPM (Seagate / WD) laptop SATA drive when connected to a USB2 / 3 port --the USB interface can't run at the native SATA speed anyway. On a USB3 connector both drives perform much faster than in the USB2 port though.

    (Internally when fitted to the laptop the 7200 rpm HDD blows away the 5400rpm drive - but both are real snail pace drives when compared to an SSD. You won't find too many 7200 rpm 2.5 inch laptop drives any more - they do use more power).

    The cable you need to use is shown below. Any similar will work --=forget about caddies etc for old laptop HDD's. !!!


    Cheers
    jimbo
    I have one of those, it came with a cloning kit that came with one of my SSD's. I also have one of these, Vantec 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Model CB-ISATAU2 - Newegg.ca . It will do SATA, IDE and laptop IDE. I use it for recovering files from PC's that won't boot into windows anymore. I already have the enclosures so I use them. I have two of these, Mediasonic HDK-SU3 Aluminum 2.5" Black SATA I/II/III USB 3.0 External Enclosure - Newegg.ca It's just two screws to open it up and swap drives.

    I finished installing 8.1 enterprise on my laptop and have made a Windows To Go drive with the above enclosure and a 256 GB Crucial SSD. I haven't booted from it yet. The NFL Football playoff game is soon going to start so I may put it off until tomorrow.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    10 Jan 2015 #20
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,618
    Windows 10 IoT

    Booted from my WTG drive on my laptop, seems to work Ok. I'm posting this from it. I noticed one thing that may have messed me up earlier. On first boot it does the "Getting devices ready" and eventually reboots. If I'm not watching it then boots into the internal hard drive instead of the windows to go drive. I think that happened when I was testing earlier and I didn't notice. Footballs on now so I think this will be it for tonight.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64-bit) when will it be available?
Good Day! Does anyone know when Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64-bit) and (32-bit) Versions will be available in the near future on MSDN or on the MS Enterprise Partners Servers? I been searching and no such luck for a version of Windows 10...
General Support
Solved Windows 10 10162 Enterprise ISO
How do I get an Enterprise ISO for Windows 10 10162? Can only find Pro for UK Can you update Pro to Enterprise? Sorted it. ISO downloading. 10074.0.150424-1350.FBL_IMPRESSIVE_CLIENTENTERPRISE_VOL_X64FRE_EN-GB.ISO Logged into account and...
Installation and Upgrade
Windows 10 for Enterprise: More secure and up to date
Source: http://blogs.windows.com/business/2015/01/30/windows-10-for-enterprise-more-secure-and-up-to-date/
Windows 10 News
Windows 8.1 Enterprise -- Now switching to W10
Hi there Now that I can run Win 10 at least until OCTOBER (build 9926 extends till oct 1st) I am ditching my Win 8.1 Enterprise system -- was an old TechNet copy anyway. Windows 8.1 while better than 8 isn't going anywhere either. The only...
General Support
Windows 10 Enterprise build 9879 ISO now available
The next version of Windows is engineered for the way you live and work, protected against cyber risks and threats, and managed for continuous innovation. Need more information? See what's new in Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise. ...
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums