Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    15 Dec 2015 #1
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10

    Install Windows 10 Pro clean on Windows 10 Home


    Does anyone know how I install, not upgrade, W10 Pro on a laptop that has W10 Home?
    I bought a W10 Pro licence key off eBay and downloaded the W10 ISO file from Microsoft, but when I try to reinstall from the ISO file (on USB) it rejects a clean install.
    I already tried to use the key as an upgrade through Control Panel but it got 'rejected' & on live chat with Microsoft they said it doesn't register.
    The seller is adamant its a legitimate product key (sells plenty of keys). I have PayPal protection.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    15 Dec 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,813
    10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
    on live chat with Microsoft they said it doesn't register..
    You mean Microsoft said it was an invalid key? If they said it is invalid then it is (as it is their servers that validate it) and you should try to get your money back.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    15 Dec 2015 #3
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by lx07 View Post
    You mean Microsoft said it was an invalid key? If they said it is invalid then it is (as it is their servers that validate it) and you should try to get your money back.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Is it possible that a Pro licence key only registers for a full install and not for an upgrade?
    Doesn't make sense to me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    15 Dec 2015 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 196
    Win 7 8 and 10

    I bought a W10 Pro licence key off eBay
    Probably another counterfeit key. Do not buy keys on eBay. Post the eBay link and let us see if it seems fishy.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    15 Dec 2015 #5
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,891
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Quote Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
    Does anyone know how I install, not upgrade, W10 Pro on a laptop that has W10 Home?
    I bought a W10 Pro licence key off eBay and downloaded the W10 ISO file from Microsoft, but when I try to reinstall from the ISO file (on USB) it rejects a clean install.
    I already tried to use the key as an upgrade through Control Panel but it got 'rejected' & on live chat with Microsoft they said it doesn't register.
    The seller is adamant its a legitimate product key (sells plenty of keys). I have PayPal protection.
    It does sound like a counterfeit key.

    However, you have not mentioned this method. Give it a try and see if the key is rejected too......................

    Start button> left side, click Settings > select Update & Security > left side, click Activation > right side, click Change product key >

    enter this generic Win 10 Pro product key.............. VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T >
    That starts changing from Home to Pro version, but NOT activation.
    After that, use your Pro key and try to activate.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    15 Dec 2015 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Before ending up with a Windows 10 Pro that cannot be activated, I would run showkeyplus from this forum. Use the check product key option, enter the purchased Windows 10 Pro product key and see if it shows as valid.

    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    15 Dec 2015 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,813
    10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    However, you have not mentioned this method. Give it a try and see if the key is rejected too......................

    Start button> left side, click Settings > select Update & Security > left side, click Activation > right side, click Change product key >

    enter this generic Win 10 Pro product key.............. VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T >
    That starts changing from Home to Pro version, but NOT activation.
    After that, use your Pro key and try to activate.
    If you do that you end up with unactivated 10 Pro. If your Pro key is invalid there is no way back to 10 home except to clean install as you can only upgrade not downgrade using generic keys....
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    15 Dec 2015 #8
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,891
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Yes. So if it does not activate, then do a clean install.
    But what if it does activate ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    15 Dec 2015 #9
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    Yes. So if it does not activate, then do a clean install.
    But what if it does activate ?
    Then his Pro key was valid.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    15 Dec 2015 #10
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,891
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    So, how does one know if it is actually valid or not if one does not try it ?
    Seems to me, verdict has already been passed without giving it a thorough try.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Can not install 64-bit version of Windows 10 Home :(
Hello TenForums, I am having a Windows installation problem on a new build. Using the Media Creation Tool, I created a DVD and a bootable USB (both with Windows 10 Home 64-bit). In both cases, I get a blue screen of death (BSOD) during...
Installation and Upgrade
Need Help With Clean Install Of Windows 10 Home
Hello All, I am licensed to run Windows 10 Home Edition on my PC, but I tried to "upgrade" to Pro without a license. It installed but it would not activate. I need to go back to Home Edition, so I tried everything I could think of but it would not...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved unable to clean install windows 10 from usb on home build - boot loop
Hello, I just build a new machine with a Gigabyte B85M-D3H mobo, Intel Pentium G3258 CPU, 4GB Corsair Value Select DDR3 1333 and 120GB Samsung EVO SSD. I now want to clean install Windows 10 Home (64-bit) from USB drive (created with media...
Installation and Upgrade
Can't Install Office 365 Home After Loading Windows 10
As the title states, since loading Win 10, I have been unable to install Office 365 Home. I have an active subscription that is installed on another device and I still have four more devices on which I can install the suite. I've gone to the 365...
Software and Apps
Solved Windows 10 Pro changed to Windows 10 Home after another clean install?
Hey Guys I have a really strange issue going on, I don't know what Microsoft are up to. Ok so from the top, I have a Sony Vaio which had 8.1pro on it, I did an in place upgrade via the media creation tool, and it updated and activated...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums