Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    15 Dec 2015 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 69
    win10

    CPU Z and CPU ID removed when upgrading to Win 10


    Windows 10 notification indicted that CPU ID and CPU Z were removed during the upgrade. However when I click on their short cut icons on my desktop , both of the programs seem to work . I can't find the programs in Windows explorer . They are also not listed in any of the uninstallers. So I am puzzled whether the programs are actually still in the system and working . I have not looked into the registry yet. Any ideas? Are these programs supported by windows 10 ? Tks
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    15 Dec 2015 #2
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 9,663
    Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Pro Insider

    That is fairly common for them to be removed, I'm not sure why though. If you will look in all apps, it should show, and right click and select open file location should take you to them. CPUz should be in Program data/Microsoft/Windows/start menu/Programs/Cupid/CPU-Z
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    15 Dec 2015 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 69
    win10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
    That is fairly common for them to be removed, I'm not sure why though. If you will look in all apps, it should show, and right click and select open file location should take you to them. CPUz should be in Program data/Microsoft/Windows/start menu/Programs/Cupid/CPU-Z
    Actually I found it in Widows.old which means Windows 10 upgrade removed the App. I didn't think programs/apps can run when located in windows .old file . This was surprising to me. So if I do a disk clean of system files , the windows.old will be deleted and then CPUID/Z wont be avail . I will then have to reinstall ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    15 Dec 2015 #4
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 9,663
    Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Pro Insider

    Yes, uninstall it before you upgrade/reinstall, just to make sure there are no conflicts.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    15 Dec 2015 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 69
    win10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
    Yes, uninstall it before you upgrade/reinstall, just to make sure there are no conflicts.
    Too late , I upgraded to Win 10 without uninstalling CPUID/Z . I think the best move for me now is to delete the shortcut to these programs so they wont run from windows.old . Then reinstall CPUID etc.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    15 Dec 2015 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 39,976
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by sportflyer View Post
    Too late , I upgraded to Win 10 without uninstalling CPUID/Z . I think the best move for me now is to delete the shortcut to these programs so they wont run from windows.old . Then reinstall CPUID etc.
    Really would be surprised if it ran from Windows.old. Just remove any folders left by Cpuid, on your new Windows 10, Don't have to brother with the Windows.old folder. Then just install the latest release.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    15 Dec 2015 #7
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 69
    win10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    Really would be surprised if it ran from Windows.old. Just remove any folders left by Cpuid, on your new Windows 10, Don't have to brother with the Windows.old folder. Then just install the latest release.
    I was very surprised that it ran from windows.old as well. But I will just delete the shortcut and reinstall.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    15 Dec 2015 #8
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 39,976
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by sportflyer View Post
    I was very surprised that it ran from windows.old as well. But I will just delete the shortcut and reinstall.
    At some point in time you will need to make an image backup of your C-drive, and store the image on a 2nd drive, internal or external. After that is made, then you can remove the Windows.old folder using disk clean, unless you intend to go back to your old OS. As far as I know, programs do NOT run from the Windows.old folder. Its just a backup of your previous OS, nothing more. Once this folder is removed, you can't go back to previous OS. That's why I suggest making a image backup now. Then down the road, if you decide to remove the Windows.old folder, (its HUGE and takes up a lot of Hard drive space) you will have a backup.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    15 Dec 2015 #9
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 69
    win10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    At some point in time you will need to make an image backup of your C-drive, and store the image on a 2nd drive, internal or external. After that is made, then you can remove the Windows.old folder using disk clean, unless you intend to go back to your old OS. As far as I know, programs do NOT run from the Windows.old folder. Its just a backup of your previous OS, nothing more. Once this folder is removed, you can't go back to previous OS. That's why I suggest making a image backup now. Then down the road, if you decide to remove the Windows.old folder, (its HUGE and takes up a lot of Hard drive space) you will have a backup.
    I do not intend to revert back to my Win7 pro but to be safe I will do as you suggest ie make an image now which includes the Windows.old .The other big file is C:\$windows.~BT. I will then do a system file disk clean to remove both of the files . Finally I will make another disk image which contains only Win10 without the back up and installation files.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    15 Dec 2015 #10
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 39,976
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by sportflyer View Post
    I do not intend to revert back to my Win7 pro but to be safe I will do as you suggest ie make an image now which includes the Windows.old .The other big file is C:\$windows.~BT. I will then do a system file disk clean to remove both of the files . Finally I will make another disk image which contains only Win10 without the back up and installation files.
    Yes this is what most of us do, this gives you some insurance IF something goes wrong. Always a good idea to make image backups. I make mine about every 2 weeks, or 3. Just for insurance. Then as time goes on I delete the older ones.
    Just a small note thou. I never use Windows Backup, can cause problems sometimes, when you actually need to restore an image.
    Lots of folks use different 3rd party apps. Like Acronis, or the Macrium Reflect Free version. Of course you can use whatever you feel comfortable with.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Ccleaner removed by updates
On three occasions I have re-installed Ccleaner after it was removed for some reason after an update, has anyone else experienced this? Regards.
Software and Apps
I removed the drive cages from my PC and...
It seems to be helping with airflow to the graphics card. Consequently, since I still need a place to mount a HDD should I need one, I have a 5.25" trayless hotswap bay en rounte (should arrive Monday). Having the front of my case wide open to...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Removed Features
So, what's up with some of these "very useful" features being removed? I mean, i can't remember all of them as i'm writing this topic, but right now i can see that: Aero glass has been removed, instead we're left with this quasi-aero effect on...
General Support
Solved Trojan removed by Defender
With the last couple of builds it seems that Defender is always finding stuff to remove every time I start Windows 10. This morning I removed Trojan Win32/GHEUGENT.Alplock after Defender quarantined it and marked it severe. Right now I am running...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Removed Preview & thanks
I decide go back to windows 7 & Lubuntu for my needs. If Microsoft offers it for free or very low cost I might consider getting Windows 10 or whatever it might called. Posters, thank you for all your help. :)
Chillout Room
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums