Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    11 Dec 2015 #1
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 81
    Win 10 Pro 64bit - Build

    how to re-examine Win 7 Pro isntallation for Win 10 ?


    While back I ran the compatibility check for Win 10 and as a result needed to upgrade my graphics card. Have done that but I keep getting a can not install 10 because of the GeForce 7900 installed.

    Have a GeForce 630 in now that's ok for Win 10 but every time I try to check...I get the old GeForce 7900 does not qualify...can't upgrade to Win 10 ?

    How do I get rid of the old compatibility info and run it again with the GeForce 630 to get the ok to upgrade ?

    Thanks....TiminAz
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    11 Dec 2015 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,182
    Windows 10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by trinaz View Post
    While back I ran the compatibility check for Win 10 and as a result needed to upgrade my graphics card. Have done that but I keep getting a can not install 10 because of the GeForce 7900 installed.

    Have a GeForce 630 in now that's ok for Win 10 but every time I try to check...I get the old GeForce 7900 does not qualify...can't upgrade to Win 10 ?

    How do I get rid of the old compatibility info and run it again with the GeForce 630 to get the ok to upgrade ?

    Thanks....TiminAz
    Try running "winsat formal" from an elevated (admin) command prompt and see if that changes things.

    You might also want to select View/Show hidden devices in Device Manager and make sure you don't have an old driver for the 7900 that needs uninstalled.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    12 Dec 2015 #3
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 81
    Win 10 Pro 64bit - Build
    Thread Starter

    Tried both....no change...see attachments

    TiminAz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7900.JPG  
    how to re-examine Win 7 Pro isntallation for Win 10 ? Attached Files
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    12 Dec 2015 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,182
    Windows 10 Home

    Hmmm... can't figure out why on earth MS thinks you have a GeForce 7900 installed when it's been replaced as you say with a GeForce 630.

    You didn't find an old driver? Maybe uninstall all display adapters from both Device Manager and from Control Panel/Programs to see if Windows then reassesses after reinstalling only driver for the GeForce 630?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    12 Dec 2015 #5
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 36,410
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Download this program Display Driver Uninstaller 15.7.1.0 Install it 1st Then boot to SAFE MODE to run it after installing. This will remove any GeForce drivers completely. Also removes registry settings too. Then reboot back to your desktop. You should be able to install your correct GeForce drivers then. Good idea to download them from Nvidia 1st. Major Geeks has this on their site.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    12 Dec 2015 #6
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2,308
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1706 (CU build 15063.674)

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    Download this program Display Driver Uninstaller 15.7.1.0 Install it 1st Then boot to SAFE MODE to run it after installing. This will remove any GeForce drivers completely. Also removes registry settings too. Then reboot back to your desktop. You should be able to install your correct GeForce drivers then. Good idea to download them from Nvidia 1st. Major Geeks has this on their site.
    No, this is not going to work. This is because there are no official Windows 10 drivers for Geforce 7 series. However, anything from nVidia Geforce FX 5 series and newer does work in Windows 10 using latest Windows 7 drivers for the respective series. There is no way to trick Windows Update into allowing you to upgrade to Windows 10.

    SOLUTION:
    You must download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft Tech Bench and run the setup from there. It will just proceed without any issue. It might give a warning that there is no Windows 10 driver for your graphics card, but it should allow you to continue. After the upgrade to Windows 10, reinstall your chipset drivers (they will have been replaced with Microsoft generic drivers) and then install latest available Windows 7 driver for Geforce 7 series (Forceware 309.08 WHQL) and you will be OK.

    PS: In Microsoft Tech Bench, download the "Windows 10" edition which can upgrade/install both Windows 10 Home and Pro. "English" is English US and "English International" is English GB. Make sure you download the same language as your Windows version (not that of any language pack you may have added) to be offered the full upgrade (keep applications and data). If you download the wrong language you will be offered to keep data only (partial upgrade) or do a clean-install. I discovered that the hard way (wasted 4 hours and a DVD because I downloaded the English GB version while I needed English US).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    12 Dec 2015 #7
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 36,410
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by spapakons View Post
    No, this is not going to work. This is because there are no official Windows 10 drivers for Geforce 7 series. However, anything from nVidia Geforce FX 5 series and newer does work in Windows 10 using latest Windows 7 drivers for the respective series. There is no way to trick Windows Update into allowing you to upgrade to Windows 10.

    SOLUTION:
    You must download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft Tech Bench and run the setup from there. It will just proceed without any issue. It might give a warning that there is no Windows 10 driver for your graphics card, but it should allow you to continue. After the upgrade to Windows 10, reinstall your chipset drivers (they will have been replaced with Microsoft generic drivers) and then install latest available Windows 7 driver for Geforce 7 series (Forceware 309.08 WHQL) and you will be OK.

    PS: In Microsoft Tech Bench, download the "Windows 10" edition which can upgrade/install both Windows 10 Home and Pro. "English" is English US and "English International" is English GB. Make sure you download the same language as your Windows version (not that of any language pack you may have added) to be offered the full upgrade (keep applications and data). If you download the wrong language you will be offered to keep data only (partial upgrade) or do a clean-install. I discovered that the hard way (wasted 4 hours and a DVD because I downloaded the English GB version while I needed English US).
    Well I don't agree with the statement, about their are no official window drivers for the GeForce 7 series. Because, the user should get their drivers from Nvidia, NOT Microsoft to began with. My graphic's card is a GeForce GTX 750Ti and I always use Nvidia drivers. User shouldn't have problems installing the drivers from the company that makes his Graphic's card. Microsoft's graphic drivers lately for Nvidia and a few AMD cards suck.....and Microsoft shouldn't even be trying to replace new drivers, from the company that makes their cards with OLDER graphic drivers, that are outdated. which is what windows 10 IS doing at present time.

    So removing any corrupt graphic drivers that might be on his computer, is not a bad idea at all. Then user can install the correct drivers needed from Nvidia.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    13 Dec 2015 #8
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2,308
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1706 (CU build 15063.674)

    You didn't read carefully what I posted.

    I didn't say there are no Windows drivers at all for Geforce 7 series. Of course there are Windows 7 drivers, Vista and XP, but no Windows 8 and 10 drivers. This is why Windows Update doesn't allow a computer with a Geforce 7 series card to upgrade to Windows 10. There is no workaround to do the upgrade from Windows Update.

    The only solution is to use the ISO from Microsoft Tech Bench, do the upgrade, then install official nVidia Forceware 309.08 driver from nVidia's site which will give the card its maximum possible functionality.

    So the upgrade to Windows 10 cannot be done automatically from Windows Update, but it CAN be done manually by using the ISO. That's exactly what I did to upgrade my test computer from Windows 8 Pro 32-bit to Windows 10 Pro 32-bit and it has Geforce 7300GS (7 series). The upgrade went fine and with nVidia Forceware 309.08 for Windows 7 32-bit the card works at its best.

    Another advantage is that the ISO can upgrade straight from Windows 7 RTM without the requirement to install Service Pack 1 (Windows Update demands SP1). For anyone interested, it can also upgrade straight from Windows 8, without the requirement to go through 8.1 first (Windows Update demands 8.1).

    I hope this is much clearer now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    13 Dec 2015 #9
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 36,410
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    @spapakons
    Well I agree on using the ISO from Tech Bench, that is a better choice. But the user said he has the GT 630 installed now. Because his GT 7900 gave him a Windows error. So if he un-installed one of these drivers in-correctly, this could give him problems with Windows seeing which driver he is actually using. That's why I suggested using DDU to correct this problem 1st, before trying to install Windows 10. Windows 10 does not have any problems with a GT 630 card, as its a older card. (I had one of those too)
    But If I understand what this user is reporting, Windows is seeing his newer card Still installed the GT 7900 <--- ?? So it sounds like he might not have UN-Installed those drivers for those 2 different cards correctly, causing this problem with Windows 10. Using a tool like DDU would repair this problem.

    I think this user should fix this graphic's card problem 1st, before installing the new Windows 10 OS.

    Mike....
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    13 Dec 2015 #10
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2,308
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1706 (CU build 15063.674)

    I think this is unlikely since Windows should detect the newer hardware and decide compatibility upon that. Any older driver is ignored if the hardware is not present, but you never know. If indeed has the GT 630 card installed and gets an error when trying to upgrade, he should use DDU to uninstall any traces of the old driver. Then do the upgrade and finally install newest nVidia driver directly from nVidia (not Windows Update).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums