Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    10 Dec 2015 #11
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,601
    Windows 10 IoT

    What OS originally came on that PC?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    10 Dec 2015 #12
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 17
    Windows 7 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Do the change key but just enter your 10 Pro key. I hope that was a reputable web site you bought that key from? Normally you would be buying retail keys, sounds fishy to me, unless you bought a system builders package.
    Yes, It's not a problem of key because I contacted Microsoft and they confirmed my key is valid.
    Do you know which command to use to change the key once upgraded?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    10 Dec 2015 #13
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 17
    Windows 7 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    What OS originally came on that PC?
    Win 7 home
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    10 Dec 2015 #14
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,601
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by josselin8 View Post
    Yes, It's not a problem of key because I contacted Microsoft and they confirmed my key is valid.
    Do you know which command to use to change the key once upgraded?
    Settings > Update & security > Activation Then click Change Product Key
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    10 Dec 2015 #15
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,601
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by josselin8 View Post
    Win 7 home
    Windows 7 doesn't use OEM embedded keys so it must be the way your installing Windows 10 that's causing 10 Home to be installed? How old is your ISO, when did you download it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    10 Dec 2015 #16
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 17
    Windows 7 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Windows 7 doesn't use OEM embedded keys so it must be the way your installing Windows 10 that's causing 10 Home to be installed? How old is your ISO, when did you download it?
    Today, from Microsoft's download page. Anyway, until I can upgrade to 10PRO with key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T and after going to security settings and update the key with mine, that's fine !

    One more question, to upgrade from Home to Pro, it's same section (
    Update & security) but I put VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T this time ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    10 Dec 2015 #17
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,601
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by josselin8 View Post
    Today, from Microsoft's download page. Anyway, until I can upgrade to 10PRO with key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T and after going to security settings and update the key with mine, that's fine !

    One more question, to upgrade from Home to Pro, it's same section (
    Update & security) but I put VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T this time ?
    Try your key first. If it works you'll only have to do the change key once. If you use the VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T key first you'll have to d the change key twice to get activated with your key.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    10 Dec 2015 #18
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 17
    Windows 7 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Try your key first. If it works you'll only have to do the change key once. If you use the VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T key first you'll have to d the change key twice to get activated with your key.
    It doesn't work because Windows doesn't recognize the key (which is normal because it's a PRO key). However if I can upgrade to pro with the key above and after activate with mine that will solve my problem !
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    10 Dec 2015 #19
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,601
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by josselin8 View Post
    It doesn't work because Windows doesn't recognize the key (which is normal because it's a PRO key). However if I can upgrade to pro with the key above and after activate with mine that will solve my problem !
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T is also a Pro key. If you upgrade with that key you will have an un activated 10 Pro. If your key is also rejected at that point, there is no way back to Home without reinstalling.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    10 Dec 2015 #20
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 17
    Windows 7 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T is also a Pro key. If you upgrade with that key you will have an un activated 10 Pro. If your key is also rejected at that point, there is no way back to Home without reinstalling.
    Well, it worths trying, thanks a lot for your time and your help, I hope it might help somebody else as well !

    Thanks !
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Beginner question: difference between Home and Home N
Which version should I pick and why? Does N version cost more? I'm doing a completely fresh install and I'm going to buy the license after the installation. Also I don't think a need the Pro version. Home or Home N 52873
Installation and Upgrade
W10-pro shows W7-home but NOT w10-home in Explorer
My W10-pro desktop does not show the W10-home on the multiboot laptop in Explorer whatever setting I use but it showed W7-home on that laptop as soon as I switched to it. I can Ping the laptop both in W7-home and W10-home. W10-home on the laptop...
Network and Sharing
Solved RDP in Windows 10 Home
Hello Currently my OS is Windows 10 Home. From time to time i need to connect to my pc at work, using remote web workplace. Unfortunately the Home edition does not come with the support of remote desktop. It keeps asking to install RDP 6.0 or...
Network and Sharing
Unable to downgrade windows 10 home to windows 8.1 home
Hi, Was trying to downgrade my win 10 to win 8.1 using the setting -> recovery -> Go back windows 8.1 . The steps were smooth and the system proceeded to reboot. But after rebooting, it stills goes back to windows 10. Tried 3 times and still the...
Installation and Upgrade
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Upgraded to Windows 10 Home x86
I was just doing a little checking today and found that my win7 x64 installation Is now a windows 10 x86 installation after the upgrade The ISO I created from the download also pulls x64, but the installation was x86 The disk was setup as MBR...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums