Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    10 Dec 2015 #1
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10

    Fails to Upgrade to Windows 10 v.1511, 10586 (Nov.update)!


    Hi,

    my first post here since i start to be pretty desperate. My Win 10 (version 10.0 Build 10240) has downloaded and installed version 1511, 10586 now already five times. Every time it asks to reboot to finish the upgrade there pops up a window in the lower right corner that says "We couldn't finish installing updates - Select this message to learn more". When i select it, I'm taken to the Update section where it says my computer is up to date. And when i check for updates it always finds the update version 1511, 10586 again. And prepares to install, and starts to download (takes for ages), and actually installs. And then again asks to reboot. And fails.

    I hope there would be some solution to this, I upgraded from Win7 and this has been working until now. I REALLY hope I don't have to go back to Win7 and lose tons of installed programs. Any help appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails we could not.png   win update fails.png  
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    10 Dec 2015 #2
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,885
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    You have been using Windows Update to install 10586.

    How about download Media Creation Tool or Tech Bench and do the install ?

    Media Creation Tool (MCT)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

    Tech Bench
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

    Let's use MCT as an example.
    Download the Tool and run it > you can either
    1. select Upgrade this PC now which will begin installation.
    or
    2. select Create Installation media for another PC which will begin downloading the iso file to your computer.
    After iso file is downloaded, right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup.exe > installation will begin.

    In both methods, you can keep you settings, files and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation is automatic.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    10 Dec 2015 #3
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Thanks for answer. Hmm...attached is the result with Media Creation Tool (=failed). :/
    I will try that Tech Bench now. This is strange since I haven't done anything with my Windows to screw it up.

    Is it possible programs like AVG or ZoneAlarm might have something to do with this...?


    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    You have been using Windows Update to install 10586.

    How about download Media Creation Tool or Tech Bench and do the install ?

    Media Creation Tool (MCT)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

    Tech Bench
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

    Let's use MCT as an example.
    Download the Tool and run it > you can either
    1. select Upgrade this PC now which will begin installation.
    or
    2. select Create Installation media for another PC which will begin downloading the iso file to your computer.
    After iso file is downloaded, right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup.exe > installation will begin.

    In both methods, you can keep you settings, files and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation is automatic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-12-10_18-52-52.png  
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    10 Dec 2015 #4
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 298
    Windows 7 (SP1)

    Quote Originally Posted by havuoksa View Post
    Thanks for answer. Hmm...attached is the result with Media Creation Tool (=failed). :/
    I will try that Tech Bench now. This is strange since I haven't done anything with my Windows to screw it up.

    Is it possible programs like AVG or ZoneAlarm might have something to do with this...?
    The error message is hardly helpful, and is exactly what happened to me , I ended up doing a clean install from the latest ISO. In my case I had disabled the anti virus (even tried uninstalling it) but the upgrade failed again.

    Just made sure you are logged in an Admin account when you try the upgrade, or you could try downloading the iso and trying to upgrade from that. My only option in the end was to do a clean install, others though may be more helpful.
    You are however not on your own there has been a few threads about this issue, it is worrying as lots will be on the pre November version and simply not know it.

    Good luck
    Zoo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    10 Dec 2015 #5
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,885
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Quote Originally Posted by havuoksa View Post
    Thanks for answer. Hmm...attached is the result with Media Creation Tool (=failed). :/
    I will try that Tech Bench now. This is strange since I haven't done anything with my Windows to screw it up.

    Is it possible programs like AVG or ZoneAlarm might have something to do with this...?
    Yes, it is possible your 3rd party AV is interfering.
    Uninstall it is a very good suggestion.
    So is Clean Install, except that you will have to reinstall all your apps, reset all your previous settings and no files will be kept.
    If or when you are asked for a product key during clean install. Just click the SKIP option and continue.
    After successful install, activation will be automatic.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    10 Dec 2015 #6
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    So both don't work for me either. One more question and chance then to keep my programs I guess: Is it possible that Microsoft will launch a new update in near future that would somehow "overrun" this 10586-update? So that updating would be succesful. Or is this step really necessary to take now??

    This is pretty unheard of. Just as I had to buy a new bluray player when the old one I bought 1.5 years ago(!) stopped working after upgrading from win7, and now this. Microsoft should be really, really ashamed!

    Edit: And yes I uninstalled AVG and disabled Firewall.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    10 Dec 2015 #7
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,885
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Quote Originally Posted by havuoksa View Post
    Is it possible that Microsoft will launch a new update in near future that would somehow "overrun" this 10586-update? So that updating would be succesful. Or is this step really necessary to take now??
    Sorry, I have no answer for that because I don't know.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    10 Dec 2015 #8
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Poole Dorset UK
    Posts : 2,562
    Windows 10 x64 Home Version(1709) Build16299.98

    Quote Originally Posted by havuoksa View Post
    So both don't work for me either. One more question and chance then to keep my programs I guess: Is it possible that Microsoft will launch a new update in near future that would somehow "overrun" this 10586-update? So that updating would be succesful. Or is this step really necessary to take now??

    This is pretty unheard of. Just as I had to buy a new bluray player when the old one I bought 1.5 years ago(!) stopped working after upgrading from win7, and now this. Microsoft should be really, really ashamed!

    Edit: And yes I uninstalled AVG and disabled Firewall.
    You mentioned Zone Alarm do you have that on your system as well.
    Zone Alarm does interfere with downloads and updates it has been posted about it somewhere.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    10 Dec 2015 #9
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by hTconeM9user View Post
    You mentioned Zone Alarm do you have that on your system as well.
    Zone Alarm does interfere with downloads and updates it has been posted about it somewhere.
    Thank you thank you thank you! I had disabled Zone Alarm before and tried to update with a failed result and "as the last job of the evening" had one more go to update with an uninstalled Zone Alarm and worked! Did it with a downloaded ISO file from the link bt davidhk. Have to say I had a near-zero hope for this to work but did it anyway, thanks!
    (Ok 1% of credit also to myself for coming up with if it's a firewall issue )
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    10 Dec 2015 #10
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-12-10_23-14-14.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	53005
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 10586 (1511) upgrade fails / error 0x8007002C - 0x4000D
I am trying to perform the November update (1511) on this computer. (starting from the previous Windows 10 version) Since I have another problem where it doesn't appear in Windows Update (despite fulfilling many requirements to make it appear), I...
Installation and Upgrade
update version 1511, 10586 fails and continously reloads
my system wanted "to configure a separate update". It downloaded forever, then said the update failed - no explanation. "try again" downloaded what appears to be the whole lot again, taking forever. It failed - no explanation. Now its...
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved Windows 10 update to 1511, 10586 freezes
Windows 10 update to 1511, 10586 freezes at "Preparing to install updates 32%". When this happened I did a search and followed the following: ran net stop wuauserv net stop bits Restarted and tried deleting all in...
Windows Updates and Activation
Windows 10 November Upgrade (1511, 10586.3) and Azure
I've been unsuccessful in my attempts to recover from the November 2015 Windows 10 Upgrade. I was a child prodigy when it came to computers in the 60s and I was taking college Computer Science courses in high school. I have an engineering degree...
General Support
Windows10 10586 / 1511 upgrade fails on boot.
Ok, I'm pretty sure I know what's going on, but I don't know which commands to run to fix. So, Windows 10 runs into issues during the reboot portion of the upgrade. I think it's that the windows boot manager believes it's in the first partition on...
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums