Not able to install new ISO on SSD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 78
    10
       #11

    wildchill said:
    If I used my Kingston DataTravelerG4 USB 3.0 drive, i would always get that dreaded error when it tried to create the partitions.
    But if i used my cheapo Sandisk Cruzer Facet USB 2.0 drive, Win 10 would install perfectly without issues !

    Windows 10
    I've had this error with multiple OSes and each time it's because I'm booting from a USB3 flash drive. When I switch and use a USB2 drive, everything works just fine. Just had it happen again now with Windows 10. Upgrading from the flash drive works fine. Booting from it gives the partition error.
      My Computer

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,477
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #12

    Kelemvor said:
    I've had this error with multiple OSes and each time it's because I'm booting from a USB3 flash drive. When I switch and use a USB2 drive, everything works just fine. Just had it happen again now with Windows 10. Upgrading from the flash drive works fine. Booting from it gives the partition error.
    I've run into the issue and it was because the BIOS supports USB 2.0 but the OS supports USB 3.0, no OS with drivers = no support for booting. They may be available but I've not seen a motherboard with a BIOS that natively supports USB 3.0, not even mine.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 2
    WIN 10
       #13

    I have a Samsung Series 7 Laptop.
    I am trying to install Win 10 onto a new Samsung EVO 850 SSD.
    I had Win 10 running on this computer previously.
    I created the media drive on a new 8GB SanDisk cruzer.
    I have tried all methods in this thread to attempt to get this installed but i keep getting the same "we couldn't create a new partition..." message.
    I have tried the USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports with the media on the new flash drive and an old 4GB thumb drive. Same message.
    I have deleted the partition and tried to allow Windows to do it. Same message.
    I tried the "repair" method. Same message.
    I tried formatting it in the install process, same message.
    I tried creating a 150GB partition, same message.
    I don't know what to do.

    If anyone can help me out here, I'd really appreciate it.

    Thanks,
    Keith
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2
    WIN 10
       #14

    Completed install successfully.

    I had to use the DVD method. Thankfully this laptop has one installed.

    Keith
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1
    Windows 8.1 Pro
       #15

    wildchill said:
    I strangely got this dreaded error too while installing Windows 10 Pro (32bit and 64bit) final edition.

    Turns out it was because of my USB Flash drive ! ! !

    What i found was Win 10 Preview edition installed ok.
    But Win 10 final edition just refused to install on any laptop/desktop, even after trying everything from pre-OS AHCI drivers and changing BIOS settings.

    I then eventually realised that the only difference was the USB flash drives i used !

    If I used my Kingston DataTravelerG4 USB 3.0 drive, i would always get that dreaded error when it tried to create the partitions.
    But if i used my cheapo Sandisk Cruzer Facet USB 2.0 drive, Win 10 would install perfectly without issues !

    Windows 10
    Big THANKS, wildchill. I struggled with this error and solutions for this error for more that 4 hours. And finally saw your post and realize, that I also use Kingston DataTravelerG4 USB 3.0 drive for installation. I changed to some Kingston USB 2.0 drive and it worked like a charm!
    EVERYONE WHO GOT THIS ERROR AND ARE USING Kingston DataTravelerG4 USB 3.0 drive - DROP THAT SUCKER AND TRY WITH ANOTHER USB FLASH!
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 3
    10
       #16

    Mark Phelps said:
    Does not work -- already tried that.

    What DOES work is the following:
    - Boot using install media, select Repair, not Install
    - Select Troubleshooting --> Advanced options --> Command prompt
    - Enter: diskpart
    - Enter: list disk
    - Enter: select disk <x> where x=disk# (0 - n) of the target disk in the list
    - Enter: clean
    - Enter: create partition primary
    - Enter: active
    - Enter: format fs=ntfs quick
    - Enter: assign
    - Enter: exit
    - Enter: exit
    - Shut down and reboot

    Then, when the partition selection screen comes up, the installation will proceed.
    Thanks for this. I also had to delete my old Windows partition on my SSD due to existing MBR. Nice step-by-step Mark.
      My Computer

  7. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,327
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #17

    KenY21 said:
    Big THANKS, wildchill. I struggled with this error and solutions for this error for more that 4 hours. And finally saw your post and realize, that I also use Kingston DataTravelerG4 USB 3.0 drive for installation. I changed to some Kingston USB 2.0 drive and it worked like a charm!
    EVERYONE WHO GOT THIS ERROR AND ARE USING Kingston DataTravelerG4 USB 3.0 drive - DROP THAT SUCKER AND TRY WITH ANOTHER USB FLASH!
    I use that same USB (2 of them) and everything boots from it just fine. Problem is usually with computer that does not have ability to boot from USB3, not drive itself.
    W8 and 10 support USB3 boot and so few Linux distros too.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 1
    Win 10
       #18

    wildchill said:
    I strangely got this dreaded error too while installing Windows 10 Pro (32bit and 64bit) final edition.

    Turns out it was because of my USB Flash drive ! ! !

    What i found was Win 10 Preview edition installed ok.
    But Win 10 final edition just refused to install on any laptop/desktop, even after trying everything from pre-OS AHCI drivers and changing BIOS settings.

    I then eventually realised that the only difference was the USB flash drives i used !

    If I used my Kingston DataTravelerG4 USB 3.0 drive, i would always get that dreaded error when it tried to create the partitions.
    But if i used my cheapo Sandisk Cruzer Facet USB 2.0 drive, Win 10 would install perfectly without issues !

    Windows 10
    I like to confirm this, had the same issue, and using a USB 2.0 worked for me!
    And thank you btw!
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       #19

    zxa1p1 said:
    I like to confirm this, had the same issue, and using a USB 2.0 worked for me!
    And thank you btw!
    Oh my god
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1
    Win10
       #20

    Wildchil - You rock, thanks a lot, that has kept me awake for days till I found that tip. All I needed to do is swap my USB!
    Thanks!

    wildchill said:
    I strangely got this dreaded error too while installing Windows 10 Pro (32bit and 64bit) final edition.

    Turns out it was because of my USB Flash drive ! ! !

    What i found was Win 10 Preview edition installed ok.
    But Win 10 final edition just refused to install on any laptop/desktop, even after trying everything from pre-OS AHCI drivers and changing BIOS settings.

    I then eventually realised that the only difference was the USB flash drives i used !

    If I used my Kingston DataTravelerG4 USB 3.0 drive, i would always get that dreaded error when it tried to create the partitions.
    But if i used my cheapo Sandisk Cruzer Facet USB 2.0 drive, Win 10 would install perfectly without issues !

    Windows 10
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:10.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums