Windows 10: Windows 10 Home > Windows 7 Pro > Windows 10 Pro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 5,150
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.483
       01 Dec 2015 #11

    Boot from the USB or DVD and it will read the product key in bios first.
    That's a mistake by Microsoft. It should always use the key from the booted OS if it's activated. If not then read BIOS.
    That should be fixed by them.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    01 Dec 2015 #12

    Ztruker said: View Post
    That's a mistake by Microsoft. It should always use the key from the booted OS if it's activated. If not then read BIOS.
    That should be fixed by them.
    It's been that way since Windows 8.0. For my Multi edition MSDN ISO's anyway. You can override it with a PID.txt file though. That's how I install Pro instead of Home on my two laptops that have 8.0 Core OEM keys. Once the free upgrade offer expires they will code out accepting Windows 8/8.1 OEM embedded keys. Then it won't be as big an issue. What they should do is just open a windows saying this is what we found, want to use it, yes or no? Or display the key and what version its for with an option to edit change it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    01 Dec 2015 #13

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Once the free upgrade offer expires they will code out accepting Windows 8/8.1 OEM embedded keys. Then it won't be as big an issue.
    Why would they do that? It wouldn't make any sense. After the free upgrade, people will still be doing clean installs. Windows 10 install should still read the Windows 8 key in bios, install the version indicated by it, then check to see if there is a digital entitlement stored on Microsoft activation servers. What Microsoft will probably change after the free year is the ability of Windows 10 to push a new digital entitlement onto the Microsoft activation servers - which will involve changing only the activation program being run on the servers, not every copy of Windows 10 install media in the public.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    01 Dec 2015 #14

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Why would they do that? It wouldn't make any sense. After the free upgrade, people will still be doing clean installs. Windows 10 install should still read the Windows 8 key in bios, install the version indicated by it, then check to see if there is a digital entitlement stored on Microsoft activation servers. What Microsoft will probably change after the free year is the ability of Windows 10 to push a new digital entitlement onto the Microsoft activation servers - which will involve changing only the activation program being run on the servers, not every copy of Windows 10 install media in the public.
    Maybe, I think they'll just stop reading 8 keys. Then you get the selection menu, pick your correct version, install with skip key, and activate with your digital entitlement. Just like 10240 ISO did. We'll just have to wait and see what they do. I find the auto reading the 8 keys with no choice in the matter a bit of an inconvenience, to be honest.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    01 Dec 2015 #15

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    I find the auto reading the 8 keys with no choice in the matter a bit of an inconvenience, to be honest.
    Microsoft isn't catering to computer literate people. Microsoft is catering to those that just want to push the power button and let everything happen automatically for them. And heck, how many threads have you read already on here saying, "Why can't I activate my Windows 10?!?!" and it is because they installed the wrong version - IE: Pro vs. Home, Single Language or N?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    02 Dec 2015 #16

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Microsoft isn't catering to computer literate people. Microsoft is catering to those that just want to push the power button and let everything happen automatically for them. And heck, how many threads have you read already on here saying, "Why can't I activate my Windows 10?!?!" and it is because they installed the wrong version - IE: Pro vs. Home, Single Language or N?
    Totally agree, for the average Joe it simplifies things. All I'm saying is there is a flip side to that, where it actually complicates things. There are some who were running 10 Pro 10240. Then did a clean install of 10586 and got Home with no say in the matter and no option to select Pro. People are always going to be snagged by the SL edition. The regular Windows 10 ISO won't read those keys. You have to know up front you have a SL key and use the SL ISO for the embedded key to be used. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what they do when the free offer expires. Even then, there won't be anything stopping you from using what ever ISO was last released before that date, and before anything was changed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    02 Dec 2015 #17

    davidhk said: View Post
    Yes. Please do.
    I would like to know with certainty too.
    It works. I again clean installed Windows 7, then in-place upgraded to Windows 10 (which forced Home Edition). I then provided the generic 10 Pro key which enabled Pro features, but did not activate. I then provided my 7 Pro key which activated Windows properly.

    I added the PID.txt file to the (USB) installation media which had the generic 10 Pro key, clean installed 10 using the newest MCT, and it installed and activated 10 Pro.

    Nice.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    02 Dec 2015 #18

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    That will get you the same version of Windows 10 that you ran setup.exe from. Pro to Pro, or Home to Home.
    I don't know if that's how it's supposed to work, but it doesn't (not with a pre-installed embedded BIOS key anyway).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    02 Dec 2015 #19

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    What they should do is just open a windows saying this is what we found, want to use it, yes or no? Or display the key and what version its for with an option to edit change it.
    As much as I want to agree with this, I think it would confuse non-IT savvy people. Getting prompted for something they know nothing about won't go down well.

    I think the current method of adding a PID.txt file is probably better.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    02 Dec 2015 #20

    What would be better is if they developed a generic network driver that would always work (even with future hardware) during the install phase, so it could check digital entitlement before choosing the version to install.

    I appreciate that would involve work from NIC vendors, but wouldn't be rocket science, as it would only need basic features, and maybe even only talkable to MS activation servers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Hey guys, I have a small issue trying to upgrade a laptop of mine It's Running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit and It says it's compatible for Windows 10 upgrade, except when I try I get this Error. 42068 I have an older laptop, it's an...
I have really found that the Windows Ten Forums users really know how to help others and here is my question. Some years ago I wanted to purchases a family pack 3X of Windows 7, and I purchased (sealed package) the one I have in my hand but it...
I recently got the "Get Windows 10" from Microsoft but when I ran it the message immedtiately was that my system was incompatible with Windows 10. So that rules out the much trumpeted "free upgrade" from W 7 to W10. I welcome any advice which can...
Hi, Was trying to downgrade my win 10 to win 8.1 using the setting -> recovery -> Go back windows 8.1 . The steps were smooth and the system proceeded to reboot. But after rebooting, it stills goes back to windows 10. Tried 3 times and still the...
I was just doing a little checking today and found that my win7 x64 installation Is now a windows 10 x86 installation after the upgrade The ISO I created from the download also pulls x64, but the installation was x86 The disk was setup as MBR...

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37.
Find Us