Windows 10: How to install vhdx image onto win 10 new computer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

  1. Posts : 139
    trying to install win10
       15 Aug 2016 #21

    You can apply it using wbadmin command from booted winpe. Once applied, you have to set the correct os letter before attempting to boot into it. That is also better done from winpe. I have made a tool to do that. Use the fix OS drive letter section.
    nt6rep.zip

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-08-15_214122 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	96329
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 139
    trying to install win10
       15 Aug 2016 #22

    If wbadmin can't find the vhdx, you could mount it with disk mgmt, make an image of the mounted disk ( using aomei backupper, macrium, paragon, etc - they all have fee versions). Then apply the image you just created.

    That is probably easiest.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    15 Aug 2016 #23

    I tried to locate my system volume but it wasn't listed. This might be because my hard drive is going bad

    So at this point I'll probably reinstall Windows to another drive.

    Is there a way to take my Windows 10 VHDX file and apply it to another drive so that drive will boot?

    Note: The VHDX I'm referring to was created using Disk2VHD. Is that all I needed to do to create a bootable VHDX, or were there more steps involved? This is my first time trying this so please forgive my ignorance
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    15 Aug 2016 #24

    Day Trooper said: View Post
    I tried to locate my system volume but it wasn't listed. This might be because my hard drive is going bad

    So at this point I'll probably reinstall Windows to another drive.

    Is there a way to take my Windows 10 VHDX file and apply it to another drive so that drive will boot?

    Note: The VHDX I'm referring to was created using Disk2VHD. Is that all I needed to do to create a bootable VHDX, or were there more steps involved? This is my first time trying this so please forgive my ignorance
    Post image from disk management.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 Aug 2016 #25

    cereberus said: View Post
    Post image from disk management.
    Ok, I'll do that after I backup my C drive (as I'm now receiving warnings that the drive is failing).

    EDIT: Here's the screenie:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DiskMgmt.jpg  
    Last edited by Day Trooper; 16 Aug 2016 at 11:29.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    16 Aug 2016 #26

    Day Trooper said: View Post
    Ok, I'll do that after I backup my C drive (as I'm now receiving warnings that the drive is failing).

    EDIT: Here's the screenie:
    That is as I feared - the system files are not in a separate partition, as is normal these days. This is a pretty old style setup.

    I am not sure how you do this here. I think you may be able to simply use c: rather than s: in the bcdboot command.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    16 Aug 2016 #27

    cereberus said: View Post
    That is as I feared - the system files are not in a separate partition, as is normal these days. This is a pretty old style setup.

    I am not sure how you do this here. I think you may be able to simply use c: rather than s: in the bcdboot command.
    OK thanks, I'll give that a try. And would the last switch on mine be /UEFI or /BIOS?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    17 Aug 2016 #28

    Day Trooper said: View Post
    OK thanks, I'll give that a try. And would the last switch on mine be /UEFI or /BIOS?
    /bios
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Related Threads
If I create a generation 1 VM I can native boot the vhdx by adding bcd entry. If I make a generation 2 VM it fails with "a required device isn't connected...0xc0000225". Pressing f8 for "Startup Settings" gives "The application or operating system...
Solved How do I open a VHDX file? in Virtualization
Using Windows 10-64 and Windows backup and restore. I want to view a file that must be contained in a recent backup. I see the apparent backup files as vhdx. I right click to mount the virtual HD and get an error message as shown in the screenshot....
Hello, I am running Windows 10 Pro (10240) and have a guest Windows 10 VM (10528) which were working fine. Both were activated and connected to internet correctly. Today I booted the VM as native boot VHDX. This installed some drivers,...
I am in the process of building a new PC. After updating the old existing Win 7 32 bit desktop to Win 10, can I do a clean Win 10 64 bit install on the new build and keep the old computer running while I install all the necessary programs and...
Before I learned that VHDX expanding disks do not release space, many of these have swelled way beyond what is used of needed because I did a defrag. Defrag will use temporary space to store files parts being defragged. I expected defrag to make...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:53.
Find Us