In-place upgrade - XP to 10 without losing the apps

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,120
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #21

    linw said:
    Is it possible to maintain progs, settings etc by going from Vista to Win 10 using a kosher retail DVD?
    In this test I went from XP to 10 using all versions in between, meaning that I went from Vista to 10 via both 7 and 8. However, the 8 was only for test purposes, you can skip that; the Windows 7 is necessary as Vista can only be in-place upgraded to Windows 7, not to 8 or 10, and then 7 can be in-place upgraded to 10 skipping 8.

    All compatible software, settings and your personal data will be intact whatever valid install media you use for in-place upgrade.

    Short answer to your question: yes.
      My Computer

  2. maxten's Avatar
    Posts : 3
    Windows
       #22

    I registered here because I have now an Intel Compute Stick with W10, but am posting because I'm wondering if this method can be used to upgrade a Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit computer to Windows 10, taking advantage of W10 free availability atm.

    If the question is somehow inappropriate because MS only wants to exchange W7/W8 keys for W10, then I apologize in advance. But it seems to me this does help them out in the long run if I upgrade an XP to 10, even w/o buying a key??? Has anyone done this?
      My Computer

  3. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,120
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #23

    maxten said:
    I registered here because I have now an Intel Compute Stick with W10, but am posting because I'm wondering if this method can be used to upgrade a Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit computer to Windows 10, taking advantage of W10 free availability atm.

    If the question is somehow inappropriate because MS only wants to exchange W7/W8 keys for W10, then I apologize in advance. But it seems to me this does help them out in the long run if I upgrade an XP to 10, even w/o buying a key??? Has anyone done this?
    Hi Maxten, welcome to the Ten Forums.

    Answer to your question is a clear and simple yes and no .

    When using the free upgrade offer, valid until end of July, you need an underlying valid, licensed and activated Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, or a valid and legal product key for Windows 7, 8 or 8.1.

    You can of course use this XP to 10 in-place upgrade method to upgrade but your Windows 10 would be unlicensed and not activated, if either Windows 7 or 8 used in between was not activated.

    Kari
      My Computer

  4. maxten's Avatar
    Posts : 3
    Windows
       #24

    Kari said:
    When using the free upgrade offer, valid until end of July, you need an underlying valid, licensed and activated Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, or a valid and legal product key for Windows 7, 8 or 8.1.
    Ha! Of course! Thanks for explaining this "tiny detail"!

    I would still like to hear if others have successfully made this trip, because I would like to try it so I can know BEFORE I INVEST IN A WINDOWS 10 KEY whether my XP machine's hardware is even capable of running W10.

    You have helped me greatly Kari because now too I know that I don't need to rush to test this with my XP PC to beat the "free W10" deadline.

      My Computer

  5. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,120
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #25

    maxten said:
    I would like to try it so I can know BEFORE I INVEST IN A WINDOWS 10 KEY whether my XP machine's hardware is even capable of running W10.
    One practical although some extra effort demanding way to test it would be to make a complete system image of your current XP, download Windows 10 ISO, create a install media (DVD / flash drive), and boot with it performing a clean install of Windows 10, skipping the product key when it will be asked.

    This way you could at least test your hardware compatibility.

    When tested you could then restore the XP system image.
      My Computer

  6. maxten's Avatar
    Posts : 3
    Windows
       #26

    Kari said:
    One practical although some extra effort demanding way to test it would be to make a complete system image of your current XP, download Windows 10 ISO, create a install media (DVD / flash drive), and boot with it performing a clean install of Windows 10, skipping the product key when it will be asked.

    This way you could at least test your hardware compatibility.

    When tested you could then restore the XP system image.
    Gosh Kari, I came from the perspective "how to upgrade my XP for free" but now that you've told me that doesn't work, this much easier approach to testing had sorta slipped my mind.

    Two questions and two times I've had to slap my forehead. This is painful, and I'm not doing very well with my first posts here am I!!!!



    Many thanks.
      My Computer


  7. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,120
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #27

    maxten said:
    Two questions and two times I've had to slap my forehead.
    Happens to all of us :)
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 98
    Win 7 Ultimate
       #28

    I am going to go on such a journey right now.. XP > Vista > 7 (in place) - Having some issues.. Will post back more for advise. Thanks.
      My Computer

  9. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 9,106
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #29

    Kari said:
    Did this mostly for fun but at the same time showing in-place is a viable alternative :).
    @Kari

    You are a Mega Genius -- however (not as usual wanting to be the "5th player in a string quartet" !!!! ) I l cannot run my studio application (cuts VINYL from music tracks as I now do a roaring business making customized vinyl for people which supplants my income now I've "Semi-retired").

    The hardware driver fails -- I'm still keeping an XP VM for this --new equipment would cost me > 25,000 EUR these days - so why bother when my current system works just fine.

    The rest work though. I did it for a test -- I've still got Technet keys and VISTA ISO's as well as W7 etc. Good way to spend a wet cold Easter Monday !!! Thanks for the heads up !!!

    But I LOVE all the work you do whether it's on Windows, HYPER-V or whatever -- so thanks and always enjoy your posts.

    A lot around here and on the Forum really do appreciate your hard work.

    Thanks again

    BTW the most difficult problem I had initially with cutting vinyl was to source the blanks --with a revival in Vinyl -- business doing good and no problems now with getting the blanks.

    hopefully soon to go a bit more world wide.

    Have got a website title (jimbo.is) -- but haven't yet populated it -- you will just see a blank page so no content yet -- hoping to get som e-commerce going now I have a bit more time for the business.

    Anyway here's my XP system. Keeping the Jaguars alive !!!!

    If you could get the Luna black theme and 3D effects working on a W10 system -- would be brilliant -- I like this theme rather than the relatively boring W10 ones which seem more appropriate to tablets / mobile phones etc.

    In-place upgrade - XP to 10 without losing the apps-w3.jpg

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  10. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,120
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #30

    xbliss said:
    I am going to go on such a journey right now.. XP > Vista > 7 (in place) - Having some issues.. Will post back more for advise. Thanks.
    Let us know if you have any issues.


    jimbo45 said:
    But I LOVE all the work you do whether it's on Windows, HYPER-V or whatever -- so thanks and always enjoy your posts.
    Thanks Jimbo. Almost a year since last post in this thread before today's entries, good to know that an old thread can still be interesting.
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:47.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums