In-place upgrade - XP to 10 without losing the apps

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 9,073
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #11

    Hi there

    Kari -- great idea but unfortunately I have some programs and hardware which will ONLY work on XP such as some studio equipment for creating and cutting VINYL records, HP Plotting equipment etc. etc. This gear is still perfectly serviceable and I'm not spending 1000's of dollars on replacing it so I'm continuing to use XP as a VM. Your idea is great if people can USE their programs on newer OS'es.

    It's a really great pity that OUTLOOK EXPRESS could never be made to work after XP -- a brilliant SMALL and SIMPLE email client - OUTLOOK is OK but possibly way too much for people just wanting basic email and who hate the webmail type of clients.

    Incidently you might like to have a look at the "Unofficial" SP4 for XP -- people are keeping this alive !!!!.

    Windows XP SP4 Unofficial Download - Softpedia

    For people who don't have VISTA - as it's only required for an UPGRADE step in your process you could always risk getting an ISO from one of the "Unofficial" places. I wouldn't recommend that normally but you are only going to use it ONCE as part of the upgrade cycle so any possible "nasties" would be purged with the W7 / W10 upgrades in your sequence.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  2. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,113
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #12

    jimbo45 said:
    Kari -- great idea but unfortunately I have some programs and hardware which will ONLY work on XP such as some studio equipment for creating and cutting VINYL records, HP Plotting equipment etc. etc. This gear is still perfectly serviceable and I'm not spending 1000's of dollars on replacing it so I'm continuing to use XP as a VM. Your idea is great if people can USE their programs on newer OS'es.
    As I mentioned in my original post, I just showed a method to keep the compatible software. As is quite natural when talking about OS as old as XP, there are of course a lot of programs which simply do not work on later operating systems.

    jimbo45 said:
    For people who don't have VISTA - as it's only required for an UPGRADE step in your process you could always risk getting an ISO from one of the "Unofficial" places. I wouldn't recommend that normally but you are only going to use it ONCE as part of the upgrade cycle so any possible "nasties" would be purged with the W7 / W10 upgrades in your sequence.
    I had the Vista, Seven and Eight ISO images to do this, no need to download, but for those who need valid original ISOs, see these tutorials on our sister sites for official download links:
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1
    XP Pro 64, Win7 Ultimate, Win10 Pro
       #13

    Is there a way to do this with 64 bit XP?


    This is awesome! Thank you so much, Kari, for posting this info!
    Question though. I'm running a dual boot system with XP Pro 64 bit and Win 7 Ultimate. I'm researching on how to upgrade the XP installation to Win10. I have a boat load of software installed on the XP installation. I never went through installing all of them on to Win7 and I'd prefer to keep the Win7 installation.

    According to this site: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-windows-vista
    and due to XP being 64bit it claims I have to do a clean installation to get to Vista.

    Is anyone here aware of a way to upgrage XP 64bit to Win10 pro without having to do a ton of re-installing programs?
    If not...then...I may as well just do the clean installation of Win10.

    I'm aware this is an old post. Apologies but I'd love to do this if it's possible instead of going through all the re-installing I'll have to go through if it's not possible.
      My Computer

  4. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,113
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #14

    Arel3 said:
    I'm aware this is an old post. Apologies but I'd love to do this if it's possible instead of going through all the re-installing I'll have to go through if it's not possible.
    Hi Arel, welcome to the Ten Forums.

    I have to admit that I have never used a 64 bit XP. My first 64 bit Windows was Vista. I have not tested the scenario you are interested in, doing this starting with XP 64 bit.

    Microsoft is quite clear in that article you linked to, in-place upgrade seems impossible from XP x64. At this point I cannot give you any other answer but I will do some research.

    Kari
      My Computer

  5. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 9,073
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #15

    Hi there

    Thanks Kari

    Always thought there might be a use for VISTA one day !!!!

    Cheers

    BTW have you tried latest version of W2016 Server yet -- looks good -- I want to try it as a VM .

    I have WINXP 64 but lack of drivers made me abandon it and use W2K3 server instead (got a licence on an Ms course years ago)

    I'll fish WINXP 64 out again and have another play -- as a VM I won't have to worry too much about drivers - can use HOSTS for USB, Video etc.

    (Perhaps we all have too much spare time on our hands at the moment !!!!!).

    jimbo
      My Computer

  6. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,113
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #16

    jimbo45 said:
    BTW have you tried latest version of W2016 Server yet -- looks good -- I want to try it as a VM .
    Upgraded my local AD domain controller / server to Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5 just yesterday, from Tech Preview 4. Everything works just fine, all workstations joined the domain.

    Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5 at TechNet Evaluation Center: Technet Evaluation Center
      My Computer


  7. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 9,073
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #17

    Kari said:
    Upgraded my local AD domain controller / server to Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5 just yesterday, from Tech preview 4.

    Technet Evaluation Center
    Hi there
    Not trying to Hijack the thread - but any comments so far --create a new thread if you feel it's worth remarking on,

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  8. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,113
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #18

    Not tested enough yet. All I can say is creating domain, users etc., all works without issues. Installation is a piece of cake, creating new domains in forest as well. The best Windows Server version yet.
      My Computer

  9. linw's Avatar
    Posts : 1,771
    win 10 Insider
       #19

    Wonder why I didn't think it was possible to do this! Got a Vista to Win 10 job coming up where this technique would be a boon.

    Just tried to do an in place upgrade from a Vista test machine to win 10 but got an error ...605. your PC needs to be repaired. winload.exe has expired. Might have known it would be a troubled road!

    Edit:- DUH!! using expired win 10 vers.
    Last edited by linw; 28 Apr 2016 at 21:04.
      My Computer

  10. linw's Avatar
    Posts : 1,771
    win 10 Insider
       #20

    @Kari, you went from Vista to W10 via win 7.

    Is it possible to maintain progs, settings etc by going from Vista to Win 10 using a kosher retail DVD?
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:51.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums