Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1.    16 Dec 2014 #31
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 939
    Windows 8.1, Win10Pro

    slwelch: thanks for the info on the KB.

    I finally got fed up with the daily chkdsks on Win10TP and decided to reinstall from scratch. I "cleaned" the SSD and installed from the USB stick, this time, 64-bit, not 32-bit.

    Since I installed clean, I had no apps other than the default ones, so I rebooted and started to install stuff. Around the third reboot, the CHKDSKs started again. Plus, the installations seemed to go badly. And, eventually, Win10TP would not boot anymore.

    I booted into Win8.1 and ran CHKDSK on the Win10TP drive from there. Rebooted OK into Win10.

    But shortly thereafter, the filesystem failures started again.

    Suspecting that the SSD had actually gone "bad", I grabbed a hard drive and repeated the process.

    First thing I noticed is that when I first rebooted after the installation, I saw both monitors, whereas on the SSD installation, I say only one!

    However, after the second reboot into installing apps, the CHKDSKs started again, and within a couple more reboots, Win10 wouldn't boot again.

    Tried this on a third drive this morning -- same process!

    I simply don't accept that an SSD and two different hard drives, ALL of which have been working without problems for months on other OSs, have suddenly gone "bad".

    This is build 9879 -- and it definitely appears to be "trashing" my drives.

    I don't know why this is not happening to everyone, but I do know now, that I can not keep a 9879 install working without filesystem corruption for very long.

    I'm running a surface test on the last drive, and when it finishes, I'll repair the filesystem (again) and try to do some Windows updates and see if that KB gets applied. Maybe that will fix the problems -- we'll see.

    UPDATE: Surface test finished and found no problems on the drive.

    UPDATE 2: Did a bunch of WUs and found KB3021937 was in the list. So, I will be monitoring the filesystem to see if this halts the daily CHKDSK problem.

    UPDATE 3: Have been using this for a while now and am STILL getting CHKDSKs every time I reboot into Win8.1. SO, whatever this was supposed to fix (if anything) in the filesystem, it did not.
    Last edited by Mark Phelps; 18 Dec 2014 at 11:02.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    22 Dec 2014 #32
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    Warren, MI
    Posts : 248
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit

    I assume that your getting a blue screen stating it has found problems, CHKDSK and a reboot? My case may be different but I was getting that also but I wasn't watch the CHKDSK process. I watched closely one time and noticed a familiar name, that being "setpoint1" or something like that which is the Logitech mouse app. I searched and found a recently released W8/8.1 compatible driver, installed that after installing W10 for the third time and that was the end of my problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    22 Dec 2014 #33
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 939
    Windows 8.1, Win10Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    I assume that your getting a blue screen stating it has found problems, CHKDSK and a reboot?
    Not getting a blue screen; instead, getting forced CHKDSKs of the Win10 TP partition every time I boot into Windows 8.1
    My case may be different but I was getting that also but I wasn't watch the CHKDSK process. I watched closely one time and noticed a familiar name, that being "setpoint1" or something like that which is the Logitech mouse app. I searched and found a recently released W8/8.1 compatible driver, installed that after installing W10 for the third time and that was the end of my problem.
    I don't know if I am running Setpoint. I was in the 32-bit upgrade, but I will have to check to see if it's there in the 64-bit new install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    22 Dec 2014 #34
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 343
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Windows 8.1 Pro x64

    I have found if you have Fast Start enabled in Windows 10, it leaves the drive in a state that Windows 8.1 is unaware of and it causes the CHKDSK. Disabling Fast Start should eliminate the CHKDSK.

    I have seen this when dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 8 as well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    22 Dec 2014 #35
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    Warren, MI
    Posts : 248
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Not getting a blue screen; instead, getting forced CHKDSKs of the Win10 TP partition every time I boot into Windows 8.1

    I don't know if I am running Setpoint. I was in the 32-bit upgrade, but I will have to check to see if it's there in the 64-bit new install.
    That new version didn't come up at Logitech's site under my mouse's model number, it was a direct link from an article written about the release. Might be up by now though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    20 Jan 2015 #36
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 1,278
    Windows 10 and windows insider

    Quote Originally Posted by slwelch33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
    As with most folks on this forum, it is hard to accept an OS would trash (render unusable) a hard drive. So I will take you at your word and assume something has gone wrong with the specific drives.

    But I need specific information in order to even speculate as to what might be happening. For instance, exactly how was the drive being used and what was its history? Were you installing Windows 10 on that drive or was it a secondary drive? Were you updating from a prior build of Windows 10 and the system ran fine before the latest attempted update? Did the update succeed and the drive failed after some period of time?

    Was the drive using the MBR or GPT configuration?

    What exactly was happening to make you think the drive was trashed? Did it refuse to boot, or started loosing data which led to chkdsk running to repair?

    If you no longer have one of the problem drives, if one does fail again, please post the bad drive specific information then.

    Also, how was the drive connected to your system? An internal SATA port, and I am assuming you are using a Desktop.

    I will also be needing pictures of the Disk Management window with the drive attached, and a DiskPart readout detailing the drive.
    Saltgrass, please read the link provided by pbcopter above, It appears be be what is happening.
    As far as my system(s) go, first time it happened, everything was going fine, installed on the first build (don't remember the exact number) and everything was fine - got everything configures on 2 machines, both with ST1000DM003 drives as C:\. Went through the upgrades to xx60 and still everything fine. Finally, both were upgraded to 9879 and worked OK for a day or so. Evening came and I shut both machines down (via desktop menu to power off). Morning came and I powered both machines up and NOTHING. Both C: Drives are dead, failing to pass any testing (on Win 7 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro, Seatools for Windows, Seatools for DOS) Seatools for DOS did see the drives, however, ALL tests/operations failed, presenting failure codes. One drive was Brand New, the other 2 months old - Store replaced the new one and Seagate provided replacement for the other.
    Second time around - Re-installed from scratch from the original DVD, this time using the ST1000DM003s as secondary drive (D:\). Again, installation from the original DVD, upgraded to xx60 and finally to 9879. One failed with the same symptoms, again, almost brand new and store replaced it. Second one failed not too long after, simply stopped responding. All tests similar to previous ones. This time, I followed advice from o0k00l about downloading hiren CD, booting mini XP and using its Disk manager to try and fix the drive. This worked and the drive is OK now.
    That gives a total of 4 Seagate ST1000DM003 1 TB drives that failed! NOTE that these drives are the newer ones, slim, only about 3/4" thick. All of my systems run 64 bit. I have one of these drives used in Win 8.1 Pro (E:\) in use for months with NOT issues. I have two of these drives used in Win 7 Pro (D:\, E:\), again in use for long periods of time with no issues.
    My current status is to only use older WDC drives for the Win 10 testing.
    I have also been using 2 of these Seagate SD1000DM003 drives for testing Fedora 21 Alpha and Beta, again with NO issues.
    I'm going to read into that link from pbcopter above and see if that is what is causing the issues with the Seagates.
    Last point, everything was fine until just after the upgrade to 9879 and the Seagates never lasted more than around 2 days before failure.
    All drives are being used as internal on Kingwin SATA carrierless hot-swap trays.
    2 drives used as C:\ failed at the same time
    2 drives used as D:\ failed one day apart (the second one I had kept 9879 from installing for a time)
    All drives (to the best of my knowledge) are being configured as MBR.
    Again, ALL testing/repair attempts on these drives failed until the Hiren's CD was downloaded Hiren's BootCD 15.2 - All in one Bootable CD » www.hiren.info, booting its "mini XP" and using its Disk Manager to "delete the partition, then re-initialize the partition" NOTE again that all attempts to do this with Win 7 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro (both failed with disk I/O errors) and Seagate Tools FAILED.
    I had a similar problem. Two Hitachi hard drives crashed and with not even be recognized by system bios setup. This happened after installing the latest 9879 build of Windows 10 P.E. One of these drives contained the windows PE build and the other had my system backup on it. Fortunately, my Windows 8.1 was installed on an SDD drive and I was able to boot into the 8.1 partition. Since windows 10 was on one of the drives that 'crashed and burned' I didn't have to uninstall that, just go into the setup menu and tell it there was only 8.1 present and all is well. As far as the hard disk drives are concerned, since the system bios will not recognize them, I don't think they are useful for anything except bookends! I had posted information on another area of the forum. I will refrain from reinstalling windows 10 until some new version is out and seems less inclined to destroy HDD's. I have a laptop that has build 9879 on in dual booted with windows 7. So far, I have not had major problems. BOTH SYSTEMS ARE ON A SINGLE SSD PARTITIONED FOR 7/WINDOWS 10 PE.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    20 Jan 2015 #37
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 1,278
    Windows 10 and windows insider

    Quote Originally Posted by magilla View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by slwelch33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
    As with most folks on this forum, it is hard to accept an OS would trash (render unusable) a hard drive. So I will take you at your word and assume something has gone wrong with the specific drives.

    But I need specific information in order to even speculate as to what might be happening. For instance, exactly how was the drive being used and what was its history? Were you installing Windows 10 on that drive or was it a secondary drive? Were you updating from a prior build of Windows 10 and the system ran fine before the latest attempted update? Did the update succeed and the drive failed after some period of time?

    Was the drive using the MBR or GPT configuration?

    What exactly was happening to make you think the drive was trashed? Did it refuse to boot, or started loosing data which led to chkdsk running to repair?

    If you no longer have one of the problem drives, if one does fail again, please post the bad drive specific information then.

    Also, how was the drive connected to your system? An internal SATA port, and I am assuming you are using a Desktop.

    I will also be needing pictures of the Disk Management window with the drive attached, and a DiskPart readout detailing the drive.
    Saltgrass, please read the link provided by pbcopter above, It appears be be what is happening.
    As far as my system(s) go, first time it happened, everything was going fine, installed on the first build (don't remember the exact number) and everything was fine - got everything configures on 2 machines, both with ST1000DM003 drives as C:\. Went through the upgrades to xx60 and still everything fine. Finally, both were upgraded to 9879 and worked OK for a day or so. Evening came and I shut both machines down (via desktop menu to power off). Morning came and I powered both machines up and NOTHING. Both C: Drives are dead, failing to pass any testing (on Win 7 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro, Seatools for Windows, Seatools for DOS) Seatools for DOS did see the drives, however, ALL tests/operations failed, presenting failure codes. One drive was Brand New, the other 2 months old - Store replaced the new one and Seagate provided replacement for the other.
    Second time around - Re-installed from scratch from the original DVD, this time using the ST1000DM003s as secondary drive (D:\). Again, installation from the original DVD, upgraded to xx60 and finally to 9879. One failed with the same symptoms, again, almost brand new and store replaced it. Second one failed not too long after, simply stopped responding. All tests similar to previous ones. This time, I followed advice from o0k00l about downloading hiren CD, booting mini XP and using its Disk manager to try and fix the drive. This worked and the drive is OK now.
    That gives a total of 4 Seagate ST1000DM003 1 TB drives that failed! NOTE that these drives are the newer ones, slim, only about 3/4" thick. All of my systems run 64 bit. I have one of these drives used in Win 8.1 Pro (E:\) in use for months with NOT issues. I have two of these drives used in Win 7 Pro (D:\, E:\), again in use for long periods of time with no issues.
    My current status is to only use older WDC drives for the Win 10 testing.
    I have also been using 2 of these Seagate SD1000DM003 drives for testing Fedora 21 Alpha and Beta, again with NO issues.
    I'm going to read into that link from pbcopter above and see if that is what is causing the issues with the Seagates.
    Last point, everything was fine until just after the upgrade to 9879 and the Seagates never lasted more than around 2 days before failure.
    All drives are being used as internal on Kingwin SATA carrierless hot-swap trays.
    2 drives used as C:\ failed at the same time
    2 drives used as D:\ failed one day apart (the second one I had kept 9879 from installing for a time)
    All drives (to the best of my knowledge) are being configured as MBR.
    Again, ALL testing/repair attempts on these drives failed until the Hiren's CD was downloaded Hiren's BootCD 15.2 - All in one Bootable CD » www.hiren.info, booting its "mini XP" and using its Disk Manager to "delete the partition, then re-initialize the partition" NOTE again that all attempts to do this with Win 7 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro (both failed with disk I/O errors) and Seagate Tools FAILED.
    I had a similar problem. Two Hitachi hard drives crashed and with not even be recognized by system bios setup. This happened after installing the latest 9879 build of Windows 10 P.E. One of these drives contained the windows PE build and the other had my system backup on it. Fortunately, my Windows 8.1 was installed on an SDD drive and I was able to boot into the 8.1 partition. Since windows 10 was on one of the drives that 'crashed and burned' I didn't have to uninstall that, just go into the setup menu and tell it there was only 8.1 present and all is well. As far as the hard disk drives are concerned, since the system bios will not recognize them, I don't think they are useful for anything except bookends! I had posted information on another area of the forum. I will refrain from reinstalling windows 10 until some new version is out and seems less inclined to destroy HDD's. I have a laptop that has build 9879 on in dual booted with windows 7. So far, I have not had major problems. BOTH SYSTEMS ARE ON A SINGLE SSD PARTITIONED FOR 7/WINDOWS 10 PE.
    This was original post
    I am going to wait. I installed windows 10 (forgot build), then update to build 9879. Every thing was fine. Suddenly after the computer slept, there was an error message on my screen saying that recovery was needed. However, my windows 8.1 install was on one disk (SSD) and my other two disks contained Windows 10 and some backup data (2 separate SATA disks). The attempt at recovery with my USB drive allowed me to go back to windows 8.1 and what I then discovered was two dead hard drives -- neither of which could be re-formatted, initialized or anything! So, I am going to wait to see what happens next. I have a separate install on a laptop computer with dual boot of windows 7 and Windows 10. The upgrade to windows 10 build 9879 was successful and has not crashed the computer. This time, the drive is a partitioned SSD drive being shared by Windows 7 and Windows 10. I will see what happens with this.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    23 Jan 2015 #38

    Hi there

    I've been running build 9879 on a number of machines usually as VM's which is a different issue. However I've been running W10 build 9879 Enterprise X-64 on a desktop for a while now as a REAL machine. I have the OS on a Samsung 840 SSD and am using 3 X 2 TB HDD's created as a single 6TB data space.

    I've experienced no problems of ANY kind with any of the HDD's. I've booted this thing also about a zillion times so no problem with the SSD on re-boot. The data space averages out data files over the 3 HDD's in the data space which also includes a recovery area if I need it. Works far better than RAID BTW.

    It's possible to get I suppose situations on an OS where the file system might get hosed up but perhaps a re-format would fix that but I can't say I've ever experienced an OS actually causing several HDD failures.

    On any sort of analysis the MTBF of THREE HDD's in the same period probably occurs at about the probable lifetime of the sun - several BILLION years.

    For our Non engineering colleagues - MTBF means "Mean Time before Failure" and is used to estimate life time of critical components in a complex piece of engineering hardware. While components regularly DO fail the chance of THREE failing together in a short time period is extremely unlikely unless there's a major problem with the actual hardware system the components are connected to - in your case the MOBO.

    There must be some other fault -- Mobo for example or incorrect power levels getting to the HDD's. Powering off and on rapidly also isn't a good idea.

    (It is possible to get some Low level formatting programs if your HDD's can't be re-formatted by anything in Windows. Sometimes a Linux system might be able to do something too -- download any Live Cd and see if it will recognize any of your "broken Hdd's").

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    23 Jan 2015 #39
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts : 713
    Windows 10 Build 14267

    BillyBob seems to indicate all drives are having a problem with 9879, but my Z87 system is running fine and not had any drive problems.
    As with most folks on this forum, it is hard to accept an OS would trash (render unusable) a hard drive. So I will take you at your word and assume something has gone wrong with the specific drives.


    Not that I what to be an Evil lawyer, but Windows 10 Build 8979 is running smoothness in two of my production rigs (not VM) and I had no significant problems, especially involving hard drives! I'm using such rigs in a daily basis and I'm really satisfied with the results.

    I haven't had a single BSOD since I installed the preview on bare metal !

      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    23 Jan 2015 #40
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Houston
    Posts : 2,128
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64

    The issue has been linked to motherboards not hard drives,
    https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...lder-hdds.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Are all SSD Hard Drives created equal?
Hi everyone. Getting ready to move from Win 7-64 to Win 10-64 when 10 is available next month. It's my understanding that Win 10 will not install over Win 7 so I'd like to install a new 250Gb SSD (I currently have Win 7 on a 128Gb SSD as C: ) for a...
Drivers and Hardware
hard drives.
my question is if you are using more than 1 hard drive in your computer I run 3 ops on 3 different drives. when you down load the new win 10 can you install on any drive in your computer? or only the one you signed up for the new down load from...
Drivers and Hardware
I lost 2 Hard Disks after updated from Build 9860 to 9879
Updated to build 9879 with no problems from build 9860. However, I powered down and restarted the next morning to find "Disk Boot Failure - Insert system disk". Whatever I tried to see inside the disk failed because it wasn't recognised in...
Drivers and Hardware
Windows 10 TP Hiding Hard Drives?
Anyone having trouble with Build 10041 hiding Drives? 1552115522
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Freezing external hard drives
I've been trying to transfer files to several external hard drives of mine in order to clear up space on my HDD, however every time I do begin a transfer, it will only do so for about 2-3 seconds, and then the transfer rate will drop rapidly until...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:46.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums