Windows 10: Which File in $Windows.~WS has Keys?

  1.    16 Nov 2015 #1

    Which File in $Windows.~WS has Keys?


    Hello ALL:

    I hate it when I see something and can not get back to it!

    I have an image of my WIN 10 1511 BEFORE I removed the upgrade files so I can explore it. My question is what file in (I Believe) $Windows.~WS has the key information? As I said, I have seen this reported but can not find it anywhere in the forum(s).
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 5,151
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.483
       16 Nov 2015 #2

    Key? What key? Win 10 uses a generic key that is not used for activation so is of no use. Only if you buy a retail copy of Win 10 will get a unique key. For instance, for my Win 10 Pro X64 system with the 1511 update applied:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Showkeyplus.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	48610

    The key ending in 3V66T is a generic key.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    16 Nov 2015 #3

    Ztruker said: View Post
    Key? What key? Win 10 uses a generic key that is not used for activation so is of no use. Only if you buy a retail copy of Win 10 will get a unique key. For instance, for my Win 10 Pro X64 system with the 1511 update applied:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Showkeyplus.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	48610

    The key ending in 3V66T is a generic key.
    OK, but I know I saw this. If I do find it I will respond to my oen thread.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.   My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 Nov 2015 #5

    Yes, page 101 had it but I do not have a products.xml in my sources dir. I have Panther and no products.xml there either.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    16 Nov 2015 #6

    MPSAN said: View Post
    Yes, page 101 had it but I do not have a products.xml in my sources dir. I have Panther and no products.xml there either.
    You have to have Media Creation Tool open in order for products.xml to be there.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    16 Nov 2015 #7

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    You have to have Media Creation Tool open in order for products.xml to be there.
    OH, well my update is done so I guess it is to late. Not sure it would tell me anything anyway but I was wondering what was in there.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    16 Nov 2015 #8

    MPSAN said: View Post
    OH, well my update is done so I guess it is to late. Not sure it would tell me anything anyway but I was wondering what was in there.
    It's still not too late, all you have to do is download Media Creation Tool and run it. Once the program opens it will create products.xml. That file is a list of the different versions of Windows 10 that are available for the MCT to download. The keys are not product keys. The keys are for decrypting the install.esd files within the ISOs that are downloaded.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    16 Nov 2015 #9

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    It's still not too late, all you have to do is download Media Creation Tool and run it. Once the program opens it will create products.xml. That file is a list of the different versions of Windows 10 that are available for the MCT to download. The keys are not product keys. The keys are for decrypting the install.esd files within the ISOs that are downloaded.
    OK, I guess that file was something else.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hardware & Drivers Turn On or Off Toggle Keys Tone in Windows 10 in Tutorials
How to Turn On or Off Toggle Keys Tone in Windows 10 When you press the Caps Lock, Num Lock, or Scroll Lock keys on your keyboard, it will toggle turning on and off Caps Lock, Num Lock, or Scroll Lock. This tutorial will show you how to turn...
I was looking in the M $ site, and saw that to solve the brightness of the stop needed to uninstall the display driver and then install again, but still does not work, nor tighten FN + F2 or F3, so when I go in configurations, does not lower the...
Windows 10 - what to do with Win 7 activation keys? in Windows Updates and Activation
Good morning. :o I have an original Windows Seven Ultimate copy, bought from the Windows Store. I've been using this since 2011 and now I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I updated the system and then I downloaded the ISO file with the program I used...
Specifically, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HomeFolderDesktop, and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HomeFolderMobile Story if you are interested: So I upgrade from...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:46.
Find Us