Windows 10: Unable to create installation from media creation tool on Win7 Solved

  1.    15 Nov 2015 #1

    Unable to create installation from media creation tool on Win7


    I am currently running Win7 Ultimate service pack 1 and am trying to create an installation of Win10 on a flash drive before I replace some parts inside my PC that will require an OS refresh. Unfortunately I am stuck at this screen.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2015-11-15 23.26.06.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	48417

    I am sure my OS version is activated and I have extracted my windows key via Magical Jelly Bean finder but it rejected that key. What do I do, what's the issue here?

    P.S. any PC stats linked to this account are a different piece of hardware
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 2,303
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1706 (CU build 15063.608)
       16 Nov 2015 #2

    Is Windows 7 activated? To check that right-click on My Computer and select Properties. You can use the Windows DVD/USB Download Tool to create your USB drive from the Windows 10 ISO. If your ISO is damaged, you can download it from Microsoft Tech Bench. Just be careful to download the right language, or you won't be allowed to upgrade and you will be offered a clean-install only. On the Tech Bench site, "English" is English US and "English International" is English GB (British English, cannot upgrade US English Windows).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    16 Nov 2015 #3

    spapakons said: View Post
    Is Windows 7 activated? To check that right-click on My Computer and select Properties. You can use the Windows DVD/USB Download Tool to create your USB drive from the Windows 10 ISO. If your ISO is damaged, you can download it from Microsoft Tech Bench. Just be careful to download the right language, or you won't be allowed to upgrade and you will be offered a clean-install only. On the Tech Bench site, "English" is English US and "English International" is English GB (British English, cannot upgrade US English Windows).
    i was 100% sure it is activated until this happened..i don't have any implication anywhere else on my PC that it's not activated. this is what My Computer's properties look like

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2015-11-16 11.42.13.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	48503

    also how do I double-check which language i chose? i'm pretty sure i picked international but would just like to check
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,875
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       16 Nov 2015 #4

    How are you running the setup media in order to get to that product key screen ?? Bootable media or by running setup.exe from within your Host win7U OS
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 Nov 2015 #5

    arisutan said: View Post
    i was 100% sure it is activated until this happened..i don't have any implication anywhere else on my PC that it's not activated. this is what My Computer's properties look like
    I think on 7 you should have a blue icon at the bottom saying genuine if it is activated - like this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iu.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	315.4 KB 
ID:	48519

    Try running slmgr /xpr from command prompt and see what it says...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 2,303
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1706 (CU build 15063.608)
       16 Nov 2015 #6

    The missing blue Genuine icon, usually means that a known utility (cannot tell that here) has been used to disable Windows Activation Technologies. So Windows is not activated, just the relevant message is disabled and allows you to login without warning or removing your wallpaper. To upgrade to Windows 10 you must undo any changes to WAT and activate Windows 7. Your other option is to clean-install Windows 10, but then you won't be able to activate them legally.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    16 Nov 2015 #7

    Kyhi said: View Post
    How are you running the setup media in order to get to that product key screen ?? Bootable media or by running setup.exe from within your Host win7U OS
    I am running the GetWindows10-sds.exe that I downloaded from Windows' website
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    16 Nov 2015 #8

    lx07 said: View Post
    I think on 7 you should have a blue icon at the bottom saying genuine if it is activated - like this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iu.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	315.4 KB 
ID:	48519

    Try running slmgr /xpr from command prompt and see what it says...
    yeah i don't see that :/
    "'slmgr' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    16 Nov 2015 #9

    spapakons said: View Post
    The missing blue Genuine icon, usually means that a known utility (cannot tell that here) has been used to disable Windows Activation Technologies. So Windows is not activated, just the relevant message is disabled and allows you to login without warning or removing your wallpaper. To upgrade to Windows 10 you must undo any changes to WAT and activate Windows 7. Your other option is to clean-install Windows 10, but then you won't be able to activate them legally.
    oh, gosh..i got my brother to do it so i just assumed he reinstalled our age-old valid copy of home premium. i was wondering why it said ultimate...
    alright, i will fix this, thanks guys!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    16 Nov 2015 #10

    Try downloading the iso from here Tech Bench - you can activate 10 home with your 7 home premium key.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Solved Win 10 pro gone from media creation tool? in Installation and Upgrade
Hello, I want to make a Win 10 pro install disc from the media creation tool. It was given as an option before the new update came out, but I don't see it anymore. Anyone else seeing this?
Solved Media Creation Tool will not run in Installation and Upgrade
The Media Creation Tool will NOT run at all on my Windows 7 Ultimate desktop and my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro with Windows 8.1. When I try to run it, nothing happens after clicking the message that allows it run. I know it does not start immediately but I...
Solved Media Creation Tool in Installation and Upgrade
When you use the creation tool and enter the type os system etc. and it creates either a USB or a DVD is the file that you receive close to the latest ISO? shipinomore
This worked for me a few weeks back. Today I am looking to try to reload Windows 10 on one of my desktop PC's that has just never been right after upgrade from Windows 7. I figured, trying a clean install is in order. The trouble is, as of today,...
Windows 10 Media Creation Tool in Installation and Upgrade
I got bored waiting for my 10 Pro upgrade message so I am using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to play around with installing Windows 10 Pro. I chose the Upgrade Now option instead of creating media. (step 3)...

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54.
Find Us