Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    15 Nov 2015 #11
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,788
    10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by imeem View Post
    I will try the things u have mention in order to reduce space.
    If you are interested I've written a little powershell script for shrinking windows. It will run from your downloads folder - you'd just have to change the shortcut if you move it.

    You might want to change what modern apps are removed. I keep messaging, mail, store and calculator only. Just comment out others (in function removeApps) if you want to keep them (or don't run that option).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	44 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	48327
    Install win 10 x64 on a 40 GB HDD? Attached Files
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    29 Nov 2015 #12
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 39
    Win10 Enterprise x64 & Win 7 Home x64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by lx07 View Post
    If you are interested I've written a little powershell script for shrinking windows. It will run from your downloads folder - you'd just have to change the shortcut if you move it.

    You might want to change what modern apps are removed. I keep messaging, mail, store and calculator only. Just comment out others (in function removeApps) if you want to keep them (or don't run that option).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	44 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	48327
    Hey, I tried your script and now my mail, maps, groove music, photos, and films & TV doesn't work. How do I fix it? I tired updating in the windows store but it still doesn't work
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    30 Nov 2015 #13
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,788
    10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by imeem View Post
    Hey, I tried your script and now my mail, maps, groove music, photos, and films & TV doesn't work. How do I fix it? I tired updating in the windows store but it still doesn't work
    Do you mean you uninstalled them? If so you need to re-install the ones you want from the store.

    If they are installed but not working then you could try the repair steps here Apps - Reinstall and Re-register in Windows 8 and 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    30 Nov 2015 #14

    Hi there

    You will almost certainly have a problem if you ever do a full windows upgrade with only 40GB -- even if running a 32 bit system. The old windows files will be installed to a windows.old file (deletable post install) and your upgrade will fail due to lavk of space.

    80 or preferably 120GB should be your realistic minimum -- and with HDD space so cheap these days what's the pressure to have a small Windows HDD.

    Tablets apart from the latest surface Pro (V4) models aren't IMO REAL computers although for some purposes they are fine. If you get one of these machines you need to check the specs before you buy as these are usually highly "un-upgradeable" - even for people quite clever with hardware.

    What I would like for these types of devices is something like "Embedded Windows" that was used a lot on Thin clients . I don't know if Ms will introduce Embedded W10 but embedded W7 was excellent for these types of devices - you select what part of Windows you wanted and the system usually performed flawlessly. You can run external devices (including multi-monitors ) depending on the hardware configuration of the thin client which usually had a video adapter, wifi / LAN connection and a myriad of USB ports.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    30 Nov 2015 #15
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 39
    Win10 Enterprise x64 & Win 7 Home x64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by lx07 View Post
    Do you mean you uninstalled them? If so you need to re-install the ones you want from the store.

    If they are installed but not working then you could try the repair steps here Apps - Reinstall and Re-register in Windows 8 and 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    No, there are still installed AFAIK since i see them on my start menu. Everytime i try to run the, the app crashes. the store wouldn't let me install them. Only update them, but that fails too. I also tried those scripts in powershell to reinstall the apps but it made it worse (icons and names not showing properly and registry errors). I fixed it by repairing wind 10 using the installation disc
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    30 Nov 2015 #16
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 39
    Win10 Enterprise x64 & Win 7 Home x64
    Thread Starter

    i'm using a desktop and i installed windows 10 via clean install and not from an upgrade. yea i most likely need to install windows 10 to a bigger hdd in the future as this is a short term. (i notice that there are some programs that can't be installed anywhere as but the C drive).
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there

    You will almost certainly have a problem if you ever do a full windows upgrade with only 40GB -- even if running a 32 bit system. The old windows files will be installed to a windows.old file (deletable post install) and your upgrade will fail due to lavk of space.

    80 or preferably 120GB should be your realistic minimum -- and with HDD space so cheap these days what's the pressure to have a small Windows HDD.

    Tablets apart from the latest surface Pro (V4) models aren't IMO REAL computers although for some purposes they are fine. If you get one of these machines you need to check the specs before you buy as these are usually highly "un-upgradeable" - even for people quite clever with hardware.

    What I would like for these types of devices is something like "Embedded Windows" that was used a lot on Thin clients . I don't know if Ms will introduce Embedded W10 but embedded W7 was excellent for these types of devices - you select what part of Windows you wanted and the system usually performed flawlessly. You can run external devices (including multi-monitors ) depending on the hardware configuration of the thin client which usually had a video adapter, wifi / LAN connection and a myriad of USB ports.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    01 Dec 2015 #17
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2,366
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1706 (CU build 15063.674)

    Few programs don't allow installation options. In all others, selecting "Custom" should let you change the installation path to another disk.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Clean Install on ROG: Error 0x8007025D (cannot install required files)
Hey guys! I have a new ASUS ROG G751JT-DH72 laptop, and I have been trying to install Windows 10 and Ubuntu on it. It came with Windows 8.1, so I upgraded to 10, then did a clean install of 10. Version was Home 64 bit. That went reasonably...
Installation and Upgrade
Unable to install AMD Catalyst Control Center - install hangs
Hi, I'm running an MSI 280 Gaming 3G in my desktop. I never had trouble installing drivers until I upgraded to 10 from 8.1. I am now unable to install Catalyst Control Center. It gets stuck, as shown in the attached picture, during the...
Graphic Cards
Clean install and automatic video card driver install (nvidia)
Sorry if this has been addressed already (a search didn't yield exactly what I was looking for). I'm planning on doing a clean install of Win10 next weekend after upgrading from 7 x64 Pro. I'm wondering if anybody has a detailed account on what...
Installation and Upgrade
Windows 10 Bad Install/Problems after install/ Black screen issue
Whenever I log on, I get a black screen with a cursor. I can access my files and go online through task manager but my desktop doesn't load up. This has led me to believe that maybe that part of the install went bad and those files were never made...
General Support
Install official ISO 10162- one minor glitch on install
Hi there On install on an HP envy laptop I got the "Just a Moment" Logo at the final stage just going on forever. After about 15 mins I thought well I'll try again. I couldn't even POWER OFF the laptop. I had to open it up and remove the battery...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:48.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums