Recovery - Refresh 9879

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. cpupro's Avatar
    Posts : 72
    Windows 10 Insider
       #1

    Recovery - Refresh 9879


    Has anyone been able to "Refresh" on build 9879? Part of testing this out is all the functionality. I changed some things in the system and was going to do a "Refresh" to correct but to my surprise it goes through the process, reboots and then tells you there were problems, nothing is changed.

    After this process it does send files off to MS and such. Just curious if it is my build or if others are having this problem.
      My Computer

  2. Edwin's Avatar
    Posts : 15,429
    Windows 10
       #2

    cpupro said:
    Has anyone been able to "Refresh" on build 9879? Part of testing this out is all the functionality. I changed some things in the system and was going to do a "Refresh" to correct but to my surprise it goes through the process, reboots and then tells you there were problems, nothing is changed.

    After this process it does send files off to MS and such. Just curious if it is my build or if others are having this problem.
    That's odd, usually a 'Refresh' involves inserting your installation media then Windows will essentially re-install the OS. Takes 10 times longer than doing a clean install yourself. Don't usually go that route.
      My Computer

  3. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 10,229
    Windows 10 Pro X64 1909 18363.815
       #3

    I wonder if doing this will work? Will have to try it: Refresh Windows 8 - Create and Use Custom Recovery Image

    Should be the same for Windows 10.

    Edit: Running it now. Will try a Refresh when done.

    Edit#2: recimg completed successfully, now to try a refresh.
    Last edited by Ztruker; 16 Nov 2014 at 21:08.
      My Computers

  4. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 10,229
    Windows 10 Pro X64 1909 18363.815
       #4

    No good, refresh completed, rebooted and it failed.
    Tried to complete again the booted to Undoing changes ...

    Doing refresh
    Recovery - Refresh 9879-w10refresh1.jpg

    Error on 1st boot after
    Recovery - Refresh 9879-w10refresh2.jpg

    Undoing chnages 3rd boot after
    Recovery - Refresh 9879-w10refresh3.jpg
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 248
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit
       #5

    I had problems with 9879 and tried the Refresh as well, it completed but didn't fix the problem.
      My Computer

  6. WightWalker's Avatar
    Posts : 239
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
       #6

    wptski said:
    I had problems with 9879 and tried the Refresh as well, it completed but didn't fix the problem.
    Ditto, didn't work for either when I lost short cuts associated with Tiles - all other shortcuts worked though.

    I used the option which basically keeps most of your original settings but wipes all installed applications and, yes, it took longer than a clean build.
      My Computer


  7. cpupro's Avatar
    Posts : 72
    Windows 10 Insider
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Well, that certainly answers the question. If and when they put out the .iso's for this build I will just reload instead of refresh. It really isn't working from what you are showing me.

    I will say that there is information being sent to MS every time this fails so maybe they will see what is going on.
      My Computer

  8. gregrocker's Avatar
    Posts : 281
       #8

    What about the link on Advanced Boot tools to Reinstall Technical Preview? https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...iew-media.html

    It's an in-place Upgrade which keeps your files only.
      My Computer

  9. cpupro's Avatar
    Posts : 72
    Windows 10 Insider
    Thread Starter
       #9

    gregrocker said:
    What about the link on Advanced Boot tools to Reinstall Technical Preview? https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...iew-media.html

    It's an in-place Upgrade which keeps your files only.
    That's what I will probably do once we have the "iso" files. I really don't want to start from the beginning again after installing Office and such.

    Thanks for the suggestion.
      My Computer

  10. gregrocker's Avatar
    Posts : 281
       #10

    You can have the ISO now, if only for repairs: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums