Windows 10 Installation problem, yet to find fix!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 2
    Win 8.1
       #1

    Windows 10 Installation problem, yet to find fix!





    Can anyone help me, tried this loads of times and I can't find a fix




    Thanks
    Kieran!
      My Computer

  2. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 29,897
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #2

    It looks like you're trying to upgrade from 8.1...?

    First, take a full disk image (Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper - both free, + external USB drive (e.g.) needed
    You should do this and use disk imaging regularly anyway.

    Second, then try
    a. uninstalling your AV/firewall if you have one (recommended practice).
    b. making sure you're not running any programs likely to conflict e.g. Aeroglass..... and uninstall these
    c. try again.

    If upgrading still fails, try a new install and see if that helps. Obviously you would then lose all installed programs...
    But you have the disk image to revert to, so you would separate hardware issues from software issues.

    If that fails, try downloading a new iso and creating a Win 10 DVD and try again.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 2
    Win 8.1
    Thread Starter
       #3

    dalchina said:
    It looks like you're trying to upgrade from 8.1...?

    First, take a full disk image (Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper - both free, + external USB drive (e.g.) needed
    You should do this and use disk imaging regularly anyway.

    Second, then try
    a. uninstalling your AV/firewall if you have one (recommended practice).
    b. making sure you're not running any programs likely to conflict e.g. Aeroglass..... and uninstall these
    c. try again.

    If upgrading still fails, try a new install and see if that helps. Obviously you would then lose all installed programs...
    But you have the disk image to revert to, so you would separate hardware issues from software issues.

    If that fails, try downloading a new iso and creating a Win 10 DVD and try again.
    I've tried installing through outside the system and it fails, Uninstalled the antivirus (had to put it back on after) Aeroglass?
      My Computer

  4. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 29,897
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #4

    Sorry, don't understand 'through outside the system'. I'm not clear what you've tried of what I suggested..
    If you can list
    a. what you've tried
    b. what happened (any error messages, outcomes, screenshot if helpful)
    clearly and logically, someone may be able to help you better..

    (Aeroglass- search and you'll find it easily- just one of several programs that are known to cause problems upgrading).
      My Computers

  5. spapakons's Avatar
    Posts : 2,891
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 202H (Nov 2020 build 19042.867)
       #5

    Download the ISO from here, burn on DVD and try upgrading from there. If upgrading get you problems, you can backup all your data and use the DVD to format and clean-install Windows 10. Also see in this post how to create the activation token from your present Windows installation to use it to activate a clean-install.
      My Computer

  6. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 6,285
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #6

    Did you solve this? I have the same problem - see https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...what-next.html
      My Computers

  7. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 29,897
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #7

    Steve C said:
    Did you solve this? I have the same problem - see https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...what-next.html
    Hi, I like the clean install suggestion for you in the other thread.. have you tried that?
    Also suggest running chkdsk wherever relevant before retrying.
      My Computers

  8. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 6,285
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #8

    I thought you had to do an in place upgrade first for Windows 10 to activate? Anyway, I want to avoid all the time spent in reinstalling all my software if possible.
      My Computers

  9. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 29,897
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #9

    Steve C said:
    I thought you had to do an in place upgrade first for Windows 10 to activate? Anyway, I want to avoid all the time spent in reinstalling all my software if possible.
    Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help
    Apparently MS have now (in latest build) decided to do what people 'expect' and allow the entry of qualifying license keys.

    Only if
    a. you can get back to running your Win 8 configuration again and then do a successful upgrade
    or
    b. Complete the existing one
    will you be able to avoid reinstalling your programs and configuring your settings.

    Had you
    a. Taken a disk image of your Win 8 setup
    or
    b. Used a program such as Laplink PC Mover or Easeus ToDo Trans to take a transferrable copy of your installed programs
    (which should be an excessive step in this case!)
    you would be in with a chance of avoiding reinstallation.

    Note that if you can't get to a working bootable configuration from where you are now, you may lose some of the licenses (assuming you have a secure copy of them) for your installed programs (e.g. giveaways).



      My Computers

  10. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 6,285
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #10

    I do have a full Macrium backup of my current 8.1 installation. The current installation problem just drops me back to Windows 8.1, Windows is still activated and I can easily delete the install files via Disk Cleanup.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums