Using an SD card to install?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 3
    Windows 7 Home Premium
       #1

    Using an SD card to install?


    Is it possible to use a SD card to make a boot drive instead of a USB flash drive? None of my flash drives have the space for this but the SD card does, I've used this drive to dual boot linux once, so using it like it was a USB drive should work right? All my attempts do recognize the device.
      My Computer

  2. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 25,901
    Windows 10 1909 Build 18363.657
       #2

    SuiGeneris said:
    Is it possible to use a SD card to make a boot drive instead of a USB flash drive? None of my flash drives have the space for this but the SD card does, I've used this drive to dual boot linux once, so using it like it was a USB drive should work right? All my attempts do recognize the device.
    I've thought of that too, but so far haven't had the courage to try it. I would think the BIOS/UEFI would have to provide for the SD card to boot before it can happen.

    I just checked my laptop's Boot configuration and I don't think it's likely to work for me:

    Internal CD/DVD Drive
    Notebook Hard Drive
    USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Drive
    USB CD/DVD ROM Drive
    Network Adapter (I have that disabled)
    USB Floppy (That's disabled also)

    It doesn't look like any of these qualify.

    However, this particular laptop came with Vista installed (long gone), so it's a bit long in the tooth.

    On the other paw, though, check your BIOS and see if the SD card is included in your boot options.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 3
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Thread Starter
       #3

    I've checked the BIOS ad I saw that it says USB and "removable devices" so could that technically mean the SD card slot? Because even though I moved the hard drive boot sequence to the very end of the chain it still boots windows 7,. I however have made a theory that I could just use a USB SD card reader in an actual USB port and run the SD card as a USB drive.
      My Computer

  4. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 10,269
    Windows 10 Pro X64 1909 18363.815
       #4

    There was a recent thread in the Windows 7 or 8 forums about this, but I can't find it now. Bottom line is no, can't be done as BIOS/UEFI/Hardware does not support booting from SD.
      My Computers

  5. Edwin's Avatar
    Posts : 15,441
    Windows 10
       #5

    SuiGeneris said:
    I've checked the BIOS ad I saw that it says USB and "removable devices" so could that technically mean the SD card slot? Because even though I moved the hard drive boot sequence to the very end of the chain it still boots windows 7,. I however have made a theory that I could just use a USB SD card reader in an actual USB port and run the SD card as a USB drive.
    Your machine is most likely to recognize anything in a card reader slot as a portable device.
    You may try a micro SD with USB adapter and hope it gets recognized as a mass storage device, then it should work.
    This is what I've used and it works:

    Using an SD card to install?-2.jpgUsing an SD card to install?-1.jpg
      My Computer

  6. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 9,112
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #6

    Hi there

    A Mobile phone with an SD (Micro SDHC) card in it can be recognized as a USB device - in fact it will be recognized as TWO discs if there's a micro SD card in it. You could try that !!! - Install from a PHONE !!!.

    I don't think there's any way to BOOT from the INTERNAL SD card reader if you have one of those as it needs its own driver to be loaded by the OS. EXTERNAL card readers should be just fine if they work as standard USB devices - i.e the computer sees them as a USB device which has any software it requires within the firmware of the device.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer



  7. Posts : 803
    10 Pro Preview x64
       #7

    It really depends on your hardware. I have a Lenovo X201 and created a recovery drive on a 512mb SD card (using an internal card reader) and can boot from that. Other can't so you just have to try it.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 3
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Thanks for all the replies, now just gotta manage booting with a broken screen, because it won't connect to my monitor in the setup phase. Basically my laptop screen is broke so I use it connected to a desktop monitor as a "projector" but since it can't connect before hitting the logon screen I get to try and maneuver everything.
      My Computer

  9. AddRAM's Avatar
    Posts : 2,909
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #9

    Your title is Using an SD card to install?

    But then you ask if you can use it as a boot drive, sooo which is it ?
      My Computers

  10. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 25,901
    Windows 10 1909 Build 18363.657
       #10

    AddRAM said:
    Your title is Using an SD card to install?


    But then you ask if you can use it as a boot drive, sooo which is it ?
    I don't have a problem with what the OP is trying to say. He's a junior member which may or may not mean he's not as experienced as you or I.

    We're here to help, not to pick apart the questions.
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums