Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    13 Nov 2014 #11
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,226
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
    Your title is Using an SD card to install?


    But then you ask if you can use it as a boot drive, sooo which is it ?
    He said boot drive, but my interpretation is he meant bootable drive, like a bootable thumb drive. For installation purposes.

    I've tried it on my laptop but the internal card reader does not show up in the boot selection list.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    13 Nov 2014 #12
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,165
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
    Your title is Using an SD card to install?


    But then you ask if you can use it as a boot drive, sooo which is it ?
    He said boot drive, but my interpretation is he meant bootable drive, like a bootable thumb drive. For installation purposes.

    I've tried it on my laptop but the internal card reader does not show up in the boot selection list.
    Alpha, did you try it with a USB SD Card reader? Just curious.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    13 Nov 2014 #13
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,226
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
    Your title is Using an SD card to install?


    But then you ask if you can use it as a boot drive, sooo which is it ?
    He said boot drive, but my interpretation is he meant bootable drive, like a bootable thumb drive. For installation purposes.

    I've tried it on my laptop but the internal card reader does not show up in the boot selection list.
    Alpha, did you try it with a USB SD Card reader? Just curious.
    No not yet. I may just to prove to myself that the SD card is bootable. Doing it that way defeats the purpose. At least that's the way I see it. If I have to put the card in a USB card reader I may as well just use a USB thumb drive. I currently do all my installs from thumb drives. I have just recently bought a couple of USB SD card readers. I bought them so I can prepare SD cards for my Raspberry PI on my desktop PC that doesn't have a card reader. That's my plan anyway. I haven't actually tried one of them yet, it might be time to give it a go though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    13 Nov 2014 #14
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,226
    Windows 10 IoT

    OK I just made a bootable SD card with Windows 10 Enterprise TP. I made it in the USB card reader on my desktop PC. My laptop will boot from it just like a bootable thumb drive. If I take the SD card out and put it in my laptops built in card reader, nada. It's not listed as a bootable device in the quick boot menu. Being a laptop there isn't much in the way of boot options. Not like you'd see on a desktop PC.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    13 Nov 2014 #15
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,165
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Alpha, did you try it with a USB SD Card reader? Just curious.
    No not yet. I may just to prove to myself that the SD card is bootable. Doing it that way defeats the purpose. At least that's the way I see it. If I have to put the card in a USB card reader I may as well just use a USB thumb drive. I currently do all my installs from thumb drives. I have just recently bought a couple of USB SD card readers. I bought them so I can prepare SD cards for my Raspberry PI on my desktop PC that doesn't have a card reader. That's my plan anyway. I haven't actually tried one of them yet, it might be time to give it a go though.
    Sure, it may defeat your purpose, but it might give someone else an option they wouldn't have otherwise. In fact, I'm not sure but I think the OP said he doesn't have a flash drive large enough.

    And here I am with so many flash drives, I had several I could donate to a very poor school district for underprivileged kids. They needed them with 4 to 8 GB and I was able to pass a few on.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    13 Nov 2014 #16
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,165
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    OK I just made a bootable SD card with Windows 10 Enterprise TP. I made it in the USB card reader on my desktop PC. My laptop will boot from it just like a bootable thumb drive. If I take the SD card out and put it in my laptops built in card reader, nada. It's not listed as a bootable device in the quick boot menu. Being a laptop there isn't much in the way of boot options. Not like you'd see on a desktop PC.
    Yay! That's great, Alpha!

    So now, the OP can mark this one solved and you can write up the 'structions for the Tutorial section. Aren't you glad I know how to delegate?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    13 Nov 2014 #17
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,226
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Alpha, did you try it with a USB SD Card reader? Just curious.
    No not yet. I may just to prove to myself that the SD card is bootable. Doing it that way defeats the purpose. At least that's the way I see it. If I have to put the card in a USB card reader I may as well just use a USB thumb drive. I currently do all my installs from thumb drives. I have just recently bought a couple of USB SD card readers. I bought them so I can prepare SD cards for my Raspberry PI on my desktop PC that doesn't have a card reader. That's my plan anyway. I haven't actually tried one of them yet, it might be time to give it a go though.
    Sure, it may defeat your purpose, but it might give someone else an option they wouldn't have otherwise. In fact, I'm not sure but I think the OP said he doesn't have a flash drive large enough.

    And here I am with so many flash drives, I had several I could donate to a very poor school district for underprivileged kids. They needed them with 4 to 8 GB and I was able to pass a few on.
    Yes, well put, I lost sight of the original question.
    lol, I've got 24 or so thumb drives kicking around here. 1's, 2's, 4's, 8's, 16's, 32's and one 64 gig. I've given a few away over the years too.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    13 Nov 2014 #18
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,226
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    OK I just made a bootable SD card with Windows 10 Enterprise TP. I made it in the USB card reader on my desktop PC. My laptop will boot from it just like a bootable thumb drive. If I take the SD card out and put it in my laptops built in card reader, nada. It's not listed as a bootable device in the quick boot menu. Being a laptop there isn't much in the way of boot options. Not like you'd see on a desktop PC.
    Yay! That's great, Alpha!

    So now, the OP can mark this one solved and you can write up the 'structions for the Tutorial section. Aren't you glad I know how to delegate?
    I used diskpart, and followed the same method you use to make a bootable thumb drive. Option two here, UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows The other methods will likely work but I have the diskpart commands pretty well memorized so that's what I use. My wife's ACER laptop is fussy about how the drive is prepared for a UEFI install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    13 Nov 2014 #19
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,226
    Windows 10 IoT

    One thing I noticed is the install from the flash card seemed to be very slow compared to one from a thumb drive. It was a long time before the first selection screen came up. My flash card is a Sandisk Ultra 30 MB/S SD card. USB 2 is good for 35 MB/s so I'm not sure why it seemed so slow. I didn't do a full install though, I only went far enough to verify it was bootable and bailed out. The USB SD card reader says its USB 2.0. That's what's silkscreened on it anyway. They were very inexpensive so maybe they aren't? This is what I bought, SD-MMC Card Reader
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    13 Nov 2014 #20
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,165
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    One thing I noticed is the install from the flash card seemed to be very slow compared to one from a thumb drive. It was a long time before the first selection screen came up. My flash card is a Sandisk Ultra 30 MB/S SD card. USB 2 is good for 35 MB/s so I'm not sure why it seemed so slow. I didn't do a full install though, I only went far enough to verify it was bootable and bailed out. The USB SD card reader says its USB 2.0. That's what's silkscreened on it anyway. They were very inexpensive so maybe they aren't? This is what I bought, SD-MMC Card Reader
    USB 2.0 is the "old" technology. I have a couple of USB 3.0 slots on this desktop, but both laptops only have USB 2.0 slots. Even with a USB 3.0 card/reader/flash drive, if the machine you're installing on has only a USB 2.0 slot, USB 3.0 will drop back to USB 2.0. Whew, what a keyboard full of USB!

    Which all this means is that no matter how new some of the technology is, using it with old technology will slow everything down.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Boot from SD card Reader?
Hey guys/gals, need some help. We're having a discussion over at DP Review. It's a photography site, but they also have a PC Talk forum. Anyway there's a discussion thread - USB thumb drives vs Card Readers in which we're trying to figure out if...
General Support
Microsoft delays feature to install apps on an SD card with Windows 10
Read more: Microsoft delays feature to install apps on an SD card with Windows 10 How to Change Location where New Apps will Install and Save to in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Reccomendations for a new Graphics card
I am looking to replace my current graphics card and am looking for a quality, yet reasonably priced card. I do not game, so I don't need a high end GPU. My current MB is the Asus P8P67 Deluxe, which doesn't have onboard graphics. The CPU I have...
Drivers and Hardware
Multi card reader not working
Hi Guys I have a multi card reader and until today I thought it was working but having a need to use it to access an sd card I find that it is not working. I have installed the Intel Chipset inf file. I am unsure as to what to do next. I...
Drivers and Hardware
change of graphics card
A couple of weeks ago I found that I required a passively cooled graphics card for another pc . This pc had an Nvidia 610 which filled the bill. I uninstalled the drivers and fitted my spare Radeon 5670. I installed the 5670 drivers and the card is...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:05.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums