Uninstall problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. dencal's Avatar
    Posts : 2,850
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       #1

    Uninstall problem


    Having a dual IE:- two separate SSD setup, one with W8.1 and the other with W10 9841.
    Because of problems with the W10 install had to do a repair without losing my files and folders.
    Because of this I have found it impossible to upgrade to W10 9860 so I now wish to format this SSD.
    Windows does not give me this option, nor does Easus Todo, nor Easus Partitioner which indicate that the
    Boot Partition and the System Partition cannot be wiped.
    Can anyone suggest a method to format this SSD.
      My Computers

  2. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 2,616
    MintMate19x64 Win10Prox64
       #2

    Open the Admin Command Prompt:
    1. diskpart
    2. List disk
    3. select disk # where # is the disk that contains hidden partitions
    4. list par
    5. select partition #
    6. delete partition OVERRIDE
    7. repeat steps 5 & 6 for the additional hidden partitions.
    8. exit

    OR:
    if you want to clean the whole disk, after step 3 above
    Type: clean
    Type: exit
    Last edited by topgundcp; 26 Oct 2014 at 07:04.
      My Computer

  3. dencal's Avatar
    Posts : 2,850
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
    Thread Starter
       #3

    topgundcp said:
    Open the Admin Command Prompt:
    1. diskpart
    2. List disk
    3. select disk # where # is the disk that contains hidden partitions
    4. list par
    5. select partition #
    6. delete partition OVERRIDE
    7. repeat steps 5 & 6 for the additional hidden partitions.
    8. exit

    OR:
    if you want to clean the whole disk, after step 3 above
    Type: clean
    Type: exit
    Thank you for your reply.
    Problem is I don't know which one to delete because they don't show drive letter. see att below.
    Both SSD,s are the same configured sizes. W10 is online all the time even though I am in W8.1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Uninstall problem-capture.png  
      My Computers

  4. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 2,616
    MintMate19x64 Win10Prox64
       #4

    OK. use list volume instead of list disk. It should give you the drive letter for each SSD.
    Then use select volume #
    Continue step 4 above.


    EDIT: Also, you can open disk management and you'll be able to see which disk # associated with Windows 10
      My Computer

  5. dencal's Avatar
    Posts : 2,850
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
    Thread Starter
       #5

    topgundcp said:
    OK. use list volume instead of list disk. It should give you the drive letter for each SSD.
    Then use select volume #
    Continue step 4 above.

    EDIT: Also, you can open disk management and you'll be able to see which disk # associated with Windows 10
    Looks like its impossible to either format or clean W10 on my SSD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Uninstall problem-disk.jpg  
      My Computers

  6. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 2,616
    MintMate19x64 Win10Prox64
       #6

    Since the Bootmgr resides in the SSD containing Windows 10. You have to move it to the other SSD using easybcd. After moving the Bootmgr, disconnect the Windows 10 SSD and try to boot to make sure it works

    EasyBCD Portable | Portable X Apps

    and follow the screenshot:

    Uninstall problem-easybcd.png

    NOTE: Click on down arrow, replace Z: with the appropriate drive letter.
      My Computer


  7. dencal's Avatar
    Posts : 2,850
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
    Thread Starter
       #7

    topgundcp said:
    Since the Bootmgr resides in the SSD containing Windows 10. You have to move it to the other SSD using easybcd. After moving the Bootmgr, disconnect the Windows 10 SSD and try to boot to make sure it works

    EasyBCD Portable | Portable X Apps

    and follow the screenshot:

    Uninstall problem-easybcd.png

    NOTE: Click on down arrow, replace Z: with the appropriate drive letter.
    The two SSD,s are in no way connected, each being loaded with its own master boot loader.
    I have disconnected the SSD with W10 installed to post this, and if I disconnect this W8.1 SSD and replace it with the W10 SSD it starts with its own boot loader.
    On start up with both SSD,s installed by clicking on F8 when the bios screen appears I can choose which O/S I wish to use.
      My Computers

  8. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 2,616
    MintMate19x64 Win10Prox64
       #8

    OK, so I guess you had the SSD with Windows 8 disconnected when you installed Windows 10, am I correct ?
    Let's try this:
    Connect both SSD's then instead of using the F8, go into BIOS and set the boot priority to Windows 8 SSD first then boot it up. Next, post a screenshot of the disk management. I suspect you have both SSD's marked as ACTIVE and Windows might get confused.
      My Computer

  9. dencal's Avatar
    Posts : 2,850
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
    Thread Starter
       #9

    topgundcp said:
    OK, so I guess you had the SSD with Windows 8 disconnected when you installed Windows 10, am I correct ?
    Let's try this:
    Connect both SSD's then instead of using the F8, go into BIOS and set the boot priority to Windows 8 SSD first then boot it up. Next, post a screenshot of the disk management. I suspect you have both SSD's marked as ACTIVE and Windows might get confused.
    See post three, and yes I know that both drives are active which is why I think it is impossible to format as security by Microsoft to protect the O/S is stopping access.
    The only way I can see round this is to wait for Microsoft to release W10 in order to relax security ie:- active on the internet on preview builds.
    Whilst in W8.1 with both drives installed, my a/v flags up that my internet connection is unsafe due to the fact that anyone can gain access to my computer, but when I disconnect the W10 drive it declares my connection is 100% safe.
    This is probably why Microsoft release so many updates for Defender in W10 Preview, which is a cause for concern.
      My Computers

  10. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 2,616
    MintMate19x64 Win10Prox64
       #10

    Post #3 does not tell anything. Every disk connected and recognized by Windows is online. There is a difference being online and Active. If you have both disks marked Active then diskpart might fail to clean it. You need to mark the disk you work on as INACTIVE. That's why I asked you to show us the screen shot of disk management
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums