Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    22 Oct 2014 #1
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,196
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    Fresh Install Windows 10 TP Build 9860


    If you have multiple PC's to update or having trouble updating VM or don't want to see multiple Recovery partitions created from the update.

    If you've already have the C:\RecoveryImage folder or if someone can put it in the dropbox for you to download.


    1. Download: esd-decrypter-v4c and unzip to the desktop
    2. Copy the content of the RecoveryImage folder into the same place where decrypt.cmd is
    3. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: decrypt install.esd
    4. Select option 3 or 4 (use 4 if you want to customize the installation)
    5. Use Rufus - Create bootable USB


    EDIT: Updated with the latest version esd-decrypter-v4c

    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Last edited by topgundcp; 26 Oct 2014 at 22:40.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    22 Oct 2014 #2

    AFAIK the cryptokey has changed in WTP...

    Code:
    if %build% GTR 9600 (
    dism\esddecrypt.exe %ENCRYPTEDESD%
    ...best to use the latest version 4c.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    22 Oct 2014 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,196
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    AFAIK the cryptokey has changed in WTP...

    Code:
    if %build% GTR 9600 (
    dism\esddecrypt.exe %ENCRYPTEDESD%
    ...best to use the latest version 4c.
    Thank you but AFAIK, it worked and I would not post it if it didn't work.
    Last edited by topgundcp; 22 Oct 2014 at 04:37.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    22 Oct 2014 #4
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 13,115
    Windows 10 Pro

    I made this tut for those interested, thanks for the idea topgundcp: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...-esd-file.html

    Credits where they belong, this quote from the very beginning of the tut:

    information   Information
    Thanks to our member topgundcp for the idea. This tutorial will use the decrypt script mentioned in his post, I have just edited the script to remove unnecessary code and corrected some errors and finally made these step by step instructions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    22 Oct 2014 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,196
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I made this tut for those interested, thanks for the idea topgundcp: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...-esd-file.html

    Credits where they belong, this quote from the very beginning of the tut:

    information   Information
    Thanks to our member topgundcp for the idea. This tutorial will use the decrypt script mentioned in his post, I have just edited the script to remove unnecessary code and corrected some errors and finally made these step by step instructions.
    Very good Kari and thank you
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    22 Oct 2014 #6
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Canada
    Posts : 820
    Windows 10 Home/10 Pro x 3/Windows 10 Insider Preview ?

    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I made this tut for those interested, thanks for the idea topgundcp: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...-esd-file.html

    Credits where they belong, this quote from the very beginning of the tut:

    information   Information
    Thanks to our member topgundcp for the idea. This tutorial will use the decrypt script mentioned in his post, I have just edited the script to remove unnecessary code and corrected some errors and finally made these step by step instructions.
    Very good Kari and thank you
    topgundcp this is a good example of the co-operation that exists on these forums to produce something new and unique, thank you for creating this topic.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    22 Oct 2014 #7
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 5,373
    Windows 10 Pro X64 16299.19

    As I posted in Kari's tutorial, after the update to 9860 I do not have a C:\RecoveryImage\install.esd. I have C:\RecoveryImage\install.wim.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    23 Oct 2014 #8
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Posts : 804
    10 Pro Preview x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    As I posted in Kari's tutorial, after the update to 9860 I do not have a C:\RecoveryImage\install.esd. I have C:\RecoveryImage\install.wim.
    Me too and it is the 9841 version - it was not updated by the upgrade.

    Attachment 7349
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    23 Oct 2014 #9
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,486
    Windows 10 Professional

    Maybe the .esd file is buried in 'Recovery' Superhidden on some machines.
    For me, the upgrade created the 'RecoveryImage' folder in C: as I don't have a recovery partition.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    23 Oct 2014 #10
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 13,115
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    As I posted in Kari's tutorial, after the update to 9860 I do not have a C:\RecoveryImage\install.esd. I have C:\RecoveryImage\install.wim.
    I will check this.

    I have now done this on three machines, all with small differences. One upgrade worked as it should, the install.esd was found at C:\RecoveryImage. One failed the upgrade after installation, the third I only installed but did not run the upgrade, In these two last cases the install.esd was found at C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources ($Windows.~BT is a hidden folder).

    Kari
    Last edited by Kari; 23 Oct 2014 at 06:32.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Currently on build 10240 - but want to fresh install on 29th
I'm currently on build 10240 and I want to do a clean installation on the 29th when Windows 10 is officially released. I upgraded to Windows 10 via Windows 8.1 update, so will the same key I previously used to activate 8.1 now activate a fresh...
Installation and Upgrade
Will it be upgrade first then Fresh Install
hi if i missed the article on upgrading please forgive, when win 10 is finally available, i want to do a fresh install, so does that mean when it comes out i have to update first to get my license then start all over again to install a fresh copy? i...
Installation and Upgrade
Fresh Install
I have Windows 8.1 it came with my Alienware Laptop. I have recently installed Windows 10 TP accidentally overwriting my install of Windows 8.1. (I have all my personal files saved to other drives connected to the laptop so fresh installs mean...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Fresh Install
I haven't seen this information posted anywhere in the Microsoft site or here ~ Once Windows 10 is released to the general public - can I skip the upgrade (I've never had much luck, and it seems to gunk up my system with needless old files) -...
General Support
Flash won't install on Build 9860
Strange thing just happened - I have updated to Build 9860, in fact, I reinstalled the original Win10 TP, then updated to 9860 right away and now am in the process of setting up. Suddenly I got the following message while installing Adobe Flash:...
Browsers and Email
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:00.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums