Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    10 Oct 2015 #21
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    SoCal, USA
    Posts : 463
    Windows 10 Home and Pro

    Yes, windows 8, 8.1, and even 7 I think
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    10 Oct 2015 #22
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2,371
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1706 (CU build 15063.674)

    The computer probably was in standby mode (sleep), not completely off. So some event (like Windows Update) woke it up. Another explanation would be setting a specific hour to switch on automatically at the BIOS, but since you didn't do that the first case is more probable.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    16 Oct 2015 #23

    Quote Originally Posted by DustSailor View Post
    Yes, windows 8, 8.1, and even 7 I think
    This is the first time I've had it happen.... and I've never heard of it happening before...

    Quote Originally Posted by spapakons View Post
    The computer probably was in standby mode (sleep), not completely off. So some event (like Windows Update) woke it up. Another explanation would be setting a specific hour to switch on automatically at the BIOS, but since you didn't do that the first case is more probable.
    I don't know if it would have been in sleep mode or not, but I do know I was clicking on Power/Sutdown and the computer would, I'll say, shutdown....

    But as I said it was an easy fix, I just disabled it under Device Manager/Network Adapters/Power Adapters... and it's fine ever since...

    At some point today or tomorrow, I'm going to try a clean install of Windows 10...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    16 Oct 2015 #24
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    SoCal, USA
    Posts : 463
    Windows 10 Home and Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
    This is the first time I've had it happen.... and I've never heard of it happening before...
    I currently have two computers that exhibit similar behavior. One sometimes won't turn on after going to sleep (force restart), and a different computer entirely will not shut down. I've spent many hours on the two. The kicker is a have matched each of them to many identical computers in hardware and software (in a business), and the other computers work flawlessly.. just not those two.

    I can only guess something went wrong with their hardware, but too far gone to RMA. The behavior is the same when a new OS is installed.

    I guess blaming ol' MSoft is probably not the way to go in my case.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    16 Oct 2015 #25
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 2,371
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1706 (CU build 15063.674)

    Have you tried updating the chipset drivers? Maybe some device doesn't work properly because of Microsoft generic drivers. Try updating the chipset drivers directly from Intel/AMD and see if that makes any difference.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    16 Oct 2015 #26
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    SoCal, USA
    Posts : 463
    Windows 10 Home and Pro

    ^Thanks mate. But yea, all the latest drivers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    16 Oct 2015 #27
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 5,372
    Windows 10 Pro X64 16299.19

    Quote Originally Posted by DustSailor View Post
    I currently have two computers that exhibit similar behavior. One sometimes won't turn on after going to sleep (force restart), and a different computer entirely will not shut down. I've spent many hours on the two. The kicker is a have matched each of them to many identical computers in hardware and software (in a business), and the other computers work flawlessly.. just not those two.

    I can only guess something went wrong with their hardware, but too far gone to RMA. The behavior is the same when a new OS is installed.

    I guess blaming ol' MSoft is probably not the way to go in my case.
    I have not read this whole thread so this may have already been suggested, but turn off Fast Startup. It can negatively affect both shutdown and startup.

    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    16 Oct 2015 #28
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    SoCal, USA
    Posts : 463
    Windows 10 Home and Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    I have not read this whole thread so this may have already been suggested, but turn off Fast Startup. It can negatively affect both shutdown and startup.

    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    You know, I kept reading about that on this forum, don't know why I never thought to try it out on these computers. So far got one off of fast startup, but kept secure boot enabled (using UEFI). The other will have to wait till I find an appropriate time to restart the computer. Thanks for the tip!

    I'll mention if I notice any changes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Policy Editor Not Available In Win 10 Home Edition
Is there any way to control the "Group Policy" in Win 10 Home Edition? gpedit.msc is not available in this edition.
General Support
Change Display language on HOME edition
my laptop was delivered in my native language, Dutch. However, I always work in English and prefer that the Display language is also English My start Menu says " instellingen" and not " Setteings" I followed the instructions added a...
General Support
Which edition for Win 7 Home Premium and Win 8.1 Single Language?
Hello, I just joined. I have a 1 MBPS unlimited connection; it takes about two hours to download 700 MBs, and the Win 10 download is around 3 GBs, so I have to make sure whether or not the edition I'm downloading is the correct one or not. ...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved macrium reflect v6 home edition worth the price vs free
Macrium Reflect for Home Use I was looking at this home edition but, wanted to get some opinions vs the free edition as I plan to upgrade motherboards later on and would like to use the saved image I have the free v6 now. Thanks! :)
Backup and Restore
Solved possible to disable automatic updates with 10 home edition like 8.1
Seems, I read that the home premium edition automatic windows updates could not be disabled like win 8.1 can in services can anyone confirm this? :)
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:21.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums