Is it possible to uprade Home 7 or 8.1 Core to 10 Pro?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. spapakons's Avatar
    Posts : 2,891
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 202H (Nov 2020 build 19042.867)
       #1

    Is it possible to uprade Home 7 or 8.1 Core to 10 Pro?


    Hello! We all know that any version less than Pro will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home. That is Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 8 Core will all be upgraded to Windows 10 Home. If later someone wants Windows 10 Pro he/she can do it from the Windows Store by paying and upgrading Windows 10 Home to 10 Pro. The question is if we can avoid this two-step upgrade and make it an one step upgrade. Is it possible to buy a Pro license and use an ISO or DVD to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro directly? Once I tried to upgrade a Windows 8.1 Core system using a DVD, but I wasn't offered any choice, it was upgraded to Windows 10 Home. Of course we can always upgrade 8.1 Core to 8.1 Pro (and 7 to Professional or Ultimate) and then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, but this is again a two-step procedure. Any workaround?
      My Computer

  2. Clintlgm's Avatar
    Posts : 1,081
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       #2

    Well if you have a Win 10 Pro ISO, it should ask you for a product key to upgrade install pro https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
      My Computers

  3. spapakons's Avatar
    Posts : 2,891
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 202H (Nov 2020 build 19042.867)
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Yes, but you missed one little detail. The same DVD-ROM can install both Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro. It depends on the license key (for clean installation) or on the previous Windows version (for upgrade). This is what I thought, since it can also install Pro I will be given the choice, but I wasn't. Since the system was Windows 8.1 Core it upgraded to Windows 10 Home without giving any choice other than a clean install, of course, which I didn't want to do and lose everything else. I didn't tried to boot from the Windows 10 DVD-ROM and start setup from there, but chances are that either it won't allow upgrade (it will suggest starting setup within Windows) or it will again force Home.
      My Computer

  4. Word Man's Avatar
    Posts : 1,562
    Windows 10 Pro
       #4

    I imagine this is one step: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wind...0+Professional or am I missing something?
      My Computer

  5. spapakons's Avatar
    Posts : 2,891
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 202H (Nov 2020 build 19042.867)
    Thread Starter
       #5

    I suspect you can make a full installation using the included serial, but not an upgrade from Home to Pro... Who knows?
      My Computer

  6. Clintlgm's Avatar
    Posts : 1,081
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       #6

    spapakons said:
    Yes, but you missed one little detail. The same DVD-ROM can install both Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro. It depends on the license key (for clean installation) or on the previous Windows version (for upgrade). This is what I thought, since it can also install Pro I will be given the choice, but I wasn't. Since the system was Windows 8.1 Core it upgraded to Windows 10 Home without giving any choice other than a clean install, of course, which I didn't want to do and lose everything else. I didn't tried to boot from the Windows 10 DVD-ROM and start setup from there, but chances are that either it won't allow upgrade (it will suggest starting setup within Windows) or it will again force Home.
    Ok how about you allow the upgrade to 10 core once that is complete you would use (WINKEY + I) Settings/updates and Security/ the dialog will come up to add Pro and you would input your key. The pro features will be available nothing further is required. While still two steps the 2nd step is about 1 minute or less.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 609
    W10
       #7

    Clintlgm said:
    you would use (WINKEY + I) Settings/updates and Security/ the dialog will come up to add Pro and you would input your key. The pro features will be available nothing further is required. While still two steps the 2nd step is about 1 minute or less.
    So you can upgrade from Home to Pro without any installation being required? That is interesting. I didn't know that!
      My Computer

  8. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,259
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21354
       #8
      My Computers

  9. Clintlgm's Avatar
    Posts : 1,081
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       #9

    Joergi said:
    So you can upgrade from Home to Pro without any installation being required? That is interesting. I didn't know that!
    Yes that is correct, Binks Tutorial is very detailed if you need that its pretty simple actually.
      My Computers

  10. spapakons's Avatar
    Posts : 2,891
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 202H (Nov 2020 build 19042.867)
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Clintlgm said:
    Ok how about you allow the upgrade to 10 core once that is complete you would use (WINKEY + I) Settings/updates and Security/ the dialog will come up to add Pro and you would input your key. The pro features will be available nothing further is required. While still two steps the 2nd step is about 1 minute or less.
    If you suggest to simply click on "Change Product Key" and set a Pro key, it won't work! I've already tried that. You must click on "Go to store" and purchase the Pro key. This is to make sure that you have actually paid for the key and it is genuine. The upgrade process could be about 10-20 minutes, at least so it was to upgrade Windows 7 Home Premium to Ultimate.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:54.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums