Windows 10: 64-bit architecture not recognized Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    30 Sep 2015 #1

    64-bit architecture not recognized


    Hello,

    I recently upgraded my Windows 8.1 64-bit laptop to Windows 10 via a clean install. Windows 10 installed the 32-bit version, even though I downloaded the 64-bit version of the upgrade tool. I attempted to upgrade to the 64-bit version using the Windows Media Creation Tool. I downloaded the 32-bit tool and selected the 64-bit upgrade option. Then, I completed another clean install from a DVD. Windows 10 installed the 32-bit OS again.

    I decided to revert back to Windows 8.1 64-bit via another clean install, but I received an error message at Getting files ready for installation: 13%. I have tried this multiple times with the same result.

    Microsoft Tech Support hung up on me 45 minutes into our call after getting just about as far as I did. I have attached my CPU-Z report to this thread.

    Please help!
    64-bit architecture not recognized Attached Files
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 5,703
    Windows 10 Pro X64 16299.192
       30 Sep 2015 #2

    Did you select the 64 bit version when running Media Creation Tool? Just because it was the 64 bit version does not mean it will automatically download the 64 bit version of Windows 10. You need to choose that and I think the default is 32 bit.

    Run it again and look. Make sure you select the right Edition nd Architecture.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MediaCreationToolx64.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	40412
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    30 Sep 2015 #3

    The "bitness" of the MCT must match that of the OS it is run under. It has nothing to do with the bitness of the Win 10 upgrade that you download.

    You have 3 choices of bitness for the download: 32 bit, 64 bit, or a single download that contains both. If you download the 64 bit version (only), there's no way that you can get a 32 bit installation.

    If you want the free upgrade to activate, you have to install it as an upgrade over a qualifying OS (7 or 8.x). You can subsequently do a clean install, and it will activate on the same hardware. (The hardware hash that identifies the machine resides on Microsoft's activation servers.)

    It's not possible that what you posted is exactly you did.

    You could get the correct ISO from another source:

    Tech Bench

    Let me repeat: you have to install the free Win 10 upgrade over a qualifying OS to get it to activate.

    I hope that you can find a way to re-install 8.1 so that you can do that. Too bad that you didn't image the 8.1 installation before proceeding with the OS upgrade.

    Good luck
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    30 Sep 2015 #4

    Ztruker said: View Post
    Did you select the 64 bit version when running Media Creation Tool? Just because it was the 64 bit version does not mean it will automatically download the 64 bit version of Windows 10. You need to choose that and I think the default is 32 bit.

    Run it again and look. Make sure you select the right Edition nd Architecture.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MediaCreationToolx64.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	40412

    I thought I had made that mistake at first. I went back and re-downloaded the 32-bit tool and made sure that I chose the 64-bit upgrade. The installation completed, but I was left with the 32-bit version again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    30 Sep 2015 #5

    bobkn said: View Post
    The "bitness" of the MCT must match that of the OS it is run under. It has nothing to do with the bitness of the Win 10 upgrade that you download.

    You have 3 choices of bitness for the download: 32 bit, 64 bit, or a single download that contains both. If you download the 64 bit version (only), there's no way that you can get a 32 bit installation.

    If you want the free upgrade to activate, you have to install it as an upgrade over a qualifying OS (7 or 8.x). You can subsequently do a clean install, and it will activate on the same hardware. (The hardware hash that identifies the machine resides on Microsoft's activation servers.)

    It's not possible that what you posted is exactly you did.

    You could get the correct ISO from another source:

    Tech Bench

    Let me repeat: you have to install the free Win 10 upgrade over a qualifying OS to get it to activate.

    I hope that you can find a way to re-install 8.1 so that you can do that. Too bad that you didn't image the 8.1 installation before proceeding with the OS upgrade.

    Good luck
    I'm downloading the 64-bit ISO now. I'll burn it to a flash drive and attempt to install on my clean drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    30 Sep 2015 #6

    tridentone said: View Post
    Hello,

    I recently upgraded my Windows 8.1 64-bit laptop to Windows 10 via a clean install.
    Setting aside the confusion in the bit level for a moment.... how do you do an "upgrade" via a "clean install"? It's either one or the other - an upgrade or a clean install, it can't be both. And to change bit levels it has to be a clean install. Now....if you do a clean install of Windows 10 before you do an in place upgrade, your Windows 10 will not activate, unless you purchase a unique product key for it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    30 Sep 2015 #7

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Setting aside the confusion in the bit level for a moment.... how do you do an "upgrade" via a "clean install"? It's either one or the other - an upgrade or a clean install, it can't be both. And to change bit levels it has to be a clean install. Now....if you do a clean install of Windows 10 before you do an in place upgrade, your Windows 10 will not activate, unless you purchase a unique product key for it.
    Sorry for the confusion. It was an upgrade originally. At the time of the upgrade, I was running Windows 8.1 64-bit. The upgrade gave me Windows 10 32-bit.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    30 Sep 2015 #8

    That's not possible. You can't upgrade to a different "bitness", the OS is fundamentally structured differently, and it just won't work. The installer will tell you so.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    30 Sep 2015 #9

    Mystere said: View Post
    That's not possible. You can't upgrade to a different "bitness", the OS is fundamentally structured differently, and it just won't work. The installer will tell you so.
    I can tell you that it is possible because it has just happened to me. I'm not sure how or why. I was running Windows 8.1 64-bit, I upgraded to Windows 10, I now have a 32-bit OS that I cannot get rid of.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	40418
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    30 Sep 2015 #10

    tridentone said: View Post
    I can tell you that it is possible because it has just happened to me. I'm not sure how or why. I was running Windows 8.1 64-bit, I upgraded to Windows 10, I now have a 32-bit OS that I cannot get rid of.
    What is possible is that you don't understand what happened. It is impossible to upgrade to a different architecture. PERIOD.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Related Threads
    CD/DVD drive not recognized in Drivers and Hardware
    I installed Windows 10 as an upgrade to Windows 8. My Dell laptop does not see the DVD drive. I had no success getting the drive to work in Windows 8 and (maybe of course) it doesnt see it now. This seems to be a common problem I have tried numerous...
    USB device not recognized in Drivers and Hardware
    I have a USB port on my motherboard that never worked. I had the problem with Windows 7 complaining about it, but something I did got Windows 7 to be quiet. Now I have Windows 10. Action Center is popping a steady stream - and I do mean...
    When selecting "Upgrade This PC", is there a way to get the "Select language, architecture & edition" screen to show up? I went through this process on the computer before, but I selected the wrong edition. The process eventually just stopped...
    I downloaded win10 preview and installed on a virtualbox VM running on a Win7 system. And when i check the Registry entry of Win10 , i see 6.3 as version, but in the screen shot that you provided here it shows 6.4. Which one is correct? and what...
    Solved Upgrade different architecture? in Installation and Upgrade
    Hi I am wondering if you can upgrade win 8.1 32 bit to win 10 64 bit without losing applications, anyone tried it? Tim
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22.
    Find Us