Windows 10: win10 not free for oem machines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    28 Sep 2015 #11

    donetao said: View Post
    Disappointingly it seems to have been overwritten by the install, I did hope that a hidden partition would have been left alone, but sadly not.
    MS won't let me download the ISO 'cos it verifies the key before downloading - and mine is rejected. I always thought have a genuine windows sticker + key on the pc meant you owned that windows....

    I did find a win7 ISO and tried using USB (setup as bootable) and a DVD - but win10 somehow bypasses those - is there a way to install win7 that win10 won't bypass?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 23,573
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16362
       28 Sep 2015 #12

    See if this may help to boot from the USB.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 5,150
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.483
       28 Sep 2015 #13

    I did find a win7 ISO and tried using USB (setup as bootable) and a DVD - but win10 somehow bypasses those - is there a way to install win7 that win10 won't bypass?
    I don't see what Win 10 has to do with this. You boot the flash drive and do a Clean install of Windows 7. You must backup your data first or you will lose it. Restore data when Win 7 is installed.

    Windows 10 shouldn't even come into it at all.

    May be that I'm missing something though.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    28 Sep 2015 #14

    If you don't have any success trying to get your oem win 7 re-installed, you can buy a win 7 version on ebay, which would include most likely a site to download the version you bought, with a valid key. Prices are pretty cheap for win 7 now. Under 50.00 This is just a choice if you run out of ways to get your OS back. But this should be your last choice. Try everything else 1st. Even call the tech from the maker of your computer, and ask them for a replacement disk. If you still have your oem sticker, and you are the original buyer, they may help you out. These are just choices for you to consider, nothing more. Good luck ognik.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    28 Sep 2015 #15

    Ztruker said: View Post
    I don't see what Win 10 has to do with this. You boot the flash drive and do a Clean install of Windows 7. You must backup your data first or you will lose it. Restore data when Win 7 is installed.

    Windows 10 shouldn't even come into it at all.

    May be that I'm missing something though.
    For one thing, he has no data to back up. it was all erased. Is strange about windows blocking the install, thou, I agree.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 5,150
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.483
       28 Sep 2015 #16

    I'm guessing he's trying to run the install from the booted Win 10 system perhaps?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    28 Sep 2015 #17

    Ztruker said: View Post
    I don't see what Win 10 has to do with this. You boot the flash drive and do a Clean install of Windows 7. You must backup your data first or you will lose it. Restore data when Win 7 is installed.

    Windows 10 shouldn't even come into it at all.

    May be that I'm missing something though.
    I would also have thought that Win10 couldn't interfere with the boot, but for example I could see the DVD drive operating with a win7 ISO disk - but, as with every other way I have tried to boot to win7, the win10 screen comes up after a while. When I run my win 7 recovery DVD for example, win10 returned an error that it couldn't run the program.....

    I have a genuine win 7 on dvd that I bought ages ago - the laptop also won't boot into win 7 from that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    28 Sep 2015 #18

    Can you format that drive??? Completely remove any traces of win 10. Grab MiniTool Partition wizard, ISO version, boot that up, remove all the partitions, THEN use your win 7 DVD. Might be worth a try.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    28 Sep 2015 #19

    You CAN win, just don't give up, their is always a way.....always. Lots of folks on here can help out tooo. I see you Word Man.
    Speak up....lol
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 357
    Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
       28 Sep 2015 #20

    ognik said: View Post
    I would also have thought that Win10 couldn't interfere with the boot, but for example I could see the DVD drive operating with a win7 ISO disk - but, as with every other way I have tried to boot to win7, the win10 screen comes up after a while. When I run my win 7 recovery DVD for example, win10 returned an error that it couldn't run the program.....

    I have a genuine win 7 on dvd that I bought ages ago - the laptop also won't boot into win 7 from that.
    If you have fast startup enabled, turn that off and see if it makes a difference.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Related Threads
We have ~40 Windows 8.1 Pro OEM workstations, which should qualify for the free upgrade to Windows 10. However, I do not wish to do an upgrade. I would much rather re-image their disks. (All user data is stored in roaming profiles, and we have...
Greetings, I've researched this but have a bit of a unique situation. I am running windows 7 on a SATA2 SSD but I plan to upgrade to a PCIe SSD when I install Windows 10. Up until now I thought I would have to spring for a new OEM windows 10...
How many folks are planning to buy the Win10 Pro version when it is released? I am going to buy a full copy when it is comes out. A year does not last very long and then we will need to buy it anyways. Hopefully MS will include a discount for us...
I am confused about the one year free upgrade. Is it free as in upgrade for a year and it is yours to have forever? Or is it free for one year and then you have to pay even though you already upgraded?
Read more here: Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Windows 10? | CITEworld

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26.
Find Us