Windows 10: Upgrading w/personal files only?

  1.    16 Sep 2015 #1

    Upgrading w/personal files only?


    Hi, I wanna upgrade my Windows 7 PC directly using the Media Creation Tool, keeping the personal files only. Is it possible to specify which folders to keep?

    At minimum, I would like to remove the 'AppData' folder to remove old cache and program files, but I'm still not sure if this is a good idea. The only folder I want to keep intact is my very large 'Dropbox' folder.

    I considered choosing the "Nothing" option, except I don't want to re-download my entire Dropbox and put unnecessary stress on this 7yr old hard drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    16 Sep 2015 #2

    I'm afraid it's all or nothing but maybe you can back that folder up and than just return it in proper place.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    16 Sep 2015 #3

    CountMike said: View Post
    I'm afraid it's all or nothing but maybe you can back that folder up and than just return it in proper place.
    I think it's even worse than that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that if you want the Windows 10 upgrade to activate, you have to do a full upgrade, keeping everything.

    My suggestion is to image the drive, remove everything that you don't want to be in the Win10 installation, and then run the upgrade.

    If you're running a 7 year old spinner, your PC may be living on borrowed time. Have you considered replacing it? The expense would be modest, and the drive manufacturers usually make drive cloning software available for free. It may be more awkward in a laptop, I admit.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    16 Sep 2015 #4

    bobkn said: View Post
    I think it's even worse than that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that if you want the Windows 10 upgrade to activate, you have to do a full upgrade, keeping everything.

    My suggestion is to image the drive, remove everything that you don't want to be in the Win10 installation, and then run the upgrade.

    If you're running a 7 year old spinner, your PC may be living on borrowed time. Have you considered replacing it? The expense would be modest, and the drive manufacturers usually make drive cloning software available for free. It may be more awkward in a laptop, I admit.
    You are hereby corrected. It is an upgrade and you are offered the option to keep your apps, files, and settings, or just your files, or nothing. Only if you do a clean install later do you not have the choice of what to keep. But the first installation is always an upgrade (except for retail copies of Windows 10) so you always get the choice.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 Sep 2015 #5

    Cbarnhorst said: View Post
    You are hereby corrected. It is an upgrade and you are offered the option to keep your apps, files, and settings, or just your files, or nothing. Only if you do a clean install later do you not have the choice of what to keep. But the first installation is always an upgrade (except for retail copies of Windows 10) so you always get the choice.
    I was aware of the choice.

    The first time I ran the upgrade, I chose to keep nothing. (It was an upgrade: I mounted the ISO and ran it from within Windows 8.1)

    It went OK, but the result didn't activate.

    Comments?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    16 Sep 2015 #6

    bobkn said: View Post
    I was aware of the choice.

    The first time I ran the upgrade, I chose to keep nothing. (It was an upgrade: I mounted the ISO and ran it from within Windows 8.1)

    It went OK, but the result didn't activate.

    Comments?
    Only that the "What do you want to keep" option wouldn't affect activation. You can use phone activation by typing "slui 4" in a command prompt. Tha't more direct than using the Contact Support app on the Start Menu.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Encryption of personal files with CTB-Locker in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/8120-your-personal-files-are-encrypted-virus So my friend has this problem and i would like to give him good advice. Anyone here that had this problem before? My friend is on Windows 10. Thanks
Since upgrading from Windows 7 I have been having some difficulty opening files and even starting programs by clicking on them. Often I have to right click the icon or file and then choose open. I thought it may have been I just didn't have the...
What I mean is, if I select to keep my personal files only, will the installed programs be removed completely from my hard drive, or will they be moved to the Windows.Old folder like what happens in Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 ? Because I would...
Hi all! I'm new here so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong location! My current OS is Windows 7. I've recently encountered some slowness and other symptoms of corrupted OS files. After running sfc, there are indeed many corrupted...
Personal Knowledge Base in Chillout Room
I love how these forums are slowly becoming my personal knowledge base LOL I updated a wordpress theme at work which in turn lost a piece of code i put in the header.php file to fix issues with Internet Explorer compatibility, i don't really know...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:42.
Find Us