Windows 10: Hidden Partition(s) on C: - Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    13 Sep 2015 #1

    Hidden Partition(s) on C: - Help


    I've installed Win 10 twice on my system, the first time I did an upgrade when it came out, and then last weekend I did a clean install. I never use system restore, so its turned off, but it would appear each time I installed 10 it created a 450 MB hidden partition on my C: drive its calling "recovery". I'd really like to get this gig of space back, windows disk management won't let me touch it. Is there any 3rd party program that will allow me to delete or allocate the space?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hidden partition.JPG  
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,835
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       13 Sep 2015 #2

    from cmd prompt (admin) type

    reagentc /info

    post pic
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    13 Sep 2015 #3

    Results
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hidden partition 2.JPG  
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 2,033
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       13 Sep 2015 #4

    First of all, it not GB, it's MB. From reagentc /info. It shows that your recovery Winre.wim is in partition 5 counting from left to right, there's a 16MB hidden partition that disk management does not show.
    If you delete the 2 partitions above, you won't be able to create a recovery disk. Leave them alone, they are only several hundred MB's.

    NOTE: a normal fresh install will create 4 partitions: 450MB recovery, 100MB EFI system, 16MB MSR and your C drive. Since you did install twice without clean up the first one, Windows create a second 450MB reserved partition next to C: .

    Here's what mine as shown below:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	296.1 KB 
ID:	37368
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    13 Sep 2015 #5

    topgundcp said: View Post
    First of all, it not GB, it's MB. From reagentc /info. It shows that your recovery Winre.wim is in partition 5 counting from left to right, there's a 16MB hidden partition that disk management does not show.
    If you delete the 2 partitions above, you won't be able to create a recovery disk. Leave them alone, they are only several hundred MB's.
    Its two hidden partitions at 450 MB = 900 MB, just 100 MB short of 1 GB, so excuse me it its 100 MB short of 1 GB (gig).
    In all of my Win 7 and 8.1 installs, these two partitions never existed. I don't need a recover disk, I use Acronis to create and image. They are NOT just 16 MB, and before the install of Win 10, they never existed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,177
    Windows 10 Home
       13 Sep 2015 #6

    HC1Gunner said: View Post
    Its two hidden partitions at 450 MB = 900 MB, just 100 MB short of 1 GB, so excuse me it its 100 MB short of 1 GB (gig).
    In all of my Win 7 and 8.1 installs, these two partitions never existed. I don't need a recover disk, I use Acronis to create and image. They are NOT just 16 MB, and before the install of Win 10, they never existed.
    The 16 MB partition is one not showing as topgun pointed out. I think that was just to clarify why the partition with your current recovery agent is numbered as partition 5. Ultimately it's your choice but you're only using about 40 GB or so of your C: drive (84% free) as it is and I'm surprised you would be concerned at this point about recovering less than 0.5% (the 1 GB) of disk space for use.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 2,033
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       13 Sep 2015 #7

    In Windows 7/8 You installed Windows with MBR style partition. With MBR, you can install W7/8 without the recovery partition by first formatting the drive. If you leave the drive unallocated then Windows will create the recovery partitions.
    MBR-> 7: 100MB and C Drive
    MBR-> 8: 350 MB and C drive.
    MBR-> Windows 10: 500MB and C drive.

    UEFI->10: 450MB, 100MB EFI System, 16MB MSR (hidden from disk management) and C: drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    13 Sep 2015 #8

    Word Man said: View Post
    The 16 MB partition is one not showing as topgun pointed out. I think that was just to clarify why the partition with your current recovery agent is numbered as partition 5. Ultimately it's your choice but you're only using about 40 GB or so of your C: drive (84% free) as it is and I'm surprised you would be concerned at this point about recovering less than 0.5% (the 1 GB) of disk space for use.
    That's because you're looking at clean install (fresh) install of 10, I have a lot of software / games yet to install, but I like to create an image before installing anything else. Hence the reason to get rid of the two extra partitions. Right now C: is showing (4) partitions. Normally I have only two, C:\ and the small partition that windows install creates.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1,177
    Windows 10 Home
       13 Sep 2015 #9

    HC1Gunner said: View Post
    That's because you're looking at clean install (fresh) install of 10, I have a lot of software / games yet to install, but I like to create an image before installing anything else. Hence the reason to get rid of the two extra partitions. Right now C: is showing (4) partitions. Normally I have only two, C:\ and the small partition that windows install creates.
    In that case, you redo the clean install and make sure you delete all partitions during the early stages of the clean install when offered the opportunity. This way, you'll only get the partitions that Windows thinks it needs for a clean install, i.e., you'll have only one recovery partition, a small reserved partition, your OS partition, and a 100 MB reserved partition (if you set the disk as GPT - with disk set to MBR, you'll have less). In any event, your drive with all data and programs must be pretty full if you're worried about 1 GB. Maybe you should consider getting a larger OS disk. I see you have quite a few other disks - external ?

    Have a look at Steps 12 or 13 in this Tutorial: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 35
    Windows 10 Pro/Fedroa 24 Workstation
       14 Sep 2015 #10

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (1).png 
Views:	8 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	37477

    Mine show's the same thing only mine is 858 mb I'm not to worried about it but I can's seem to do anything with that 8mb unallocated space since my clean install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hidden wifi in Network and Sharing
Hi! Does anyone of you could connect to an hidden wifi network? or it's just my laptop? Thanks
Skype hidden shortcuts in Software and Apps
Hello ! I just found a Skype hidden shortcut, and I'm wondering if there are others. What I found: 'AltGr + R = Call' If you look in the shortcuts section of the options menu, there is no keybinding for 'call', and noting showing AltGr + R....
Yesterday, I inserted a flash drive on my PC and it was loaded with trojans. I managed to clear them with Kaspersky but after that I noticed that all the hidden files in my C drive have turned Un-hidden. (Including desktop.ini's)
Hidden windows 10 updates? in General Support
While my Winupdate shows the last update on 8/18, I found the following under performance monitor dated today. Not sure if this is part of Windows semi-hidden activities/maintenance.
Solved Hidden icons in General Support
Just installed build 10074. Icons non-clickable in "hidden icons", any ideas or is just not available.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:15.
Find Us