Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    10 Sep 2015 #1

    Possibility of installing Windows 8.1 with the recovery DVD?


    I have lenovo laptop originally with Windows 8.1 installed and now upgraded to Windows 10 on 4th Aug. One month reverting back to Windows 8.1 period is over. Windows. Old directory is automatically deleted.
    My question is whether i can revert back to Windows 8.1 with the recovery DVD which i created after my purchase of Lenovo 50-70?
    If yes what will happen to the license since i have already upgraded to Windows 10. And will i be allowed to activate Windows 8.1 since i have already upgraded to Windows 10?
    Please clarify and help.
    Thanks
    Ashok K Bagaria
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    10 Sep 2015 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 pro x64, 7, Mint, Ubuntu

    you get a one month grace period to try out w10 after upgrading if you dont like it you need to revert back to your old OS before the month is up.

    once the one month grace period has expiered if you have not already downgraded to w8.1 your license key will perminantly be w10, you will be able to install w8.1 but you will no longer be able to activate it without purchasing a new w8 key
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    10 Sep 2015 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by finglonger View Post
    you get a one month grace period to try out w10 after upgrading if you dont like it you need to revert back to your old OS before the month is up.

    once the one month grace period has expiered if you have not already downgraded to w8.1 your license key will perminantly be w10, you will be able to install w8.1 but you will no longer be able to activate it without purchasing a new w8 key
    100% false information. After one month the only option that goes away is being able to downgrade back to Windows 8.1 without losing programs and data (which is not all that reliable anyway). Nothing happens to the Windows 8.1 key or license and a clean install, permanently activated Windows 8.1 is still possible with the old product key.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashok Kumar Bag View Post
    My question is whether i can revert back to Windows 8.1 with the recovery DVD which i created after my purchase of Lenovo 50-70?
    Yes, you just go back to a clean install and lose all your programs and data (except for data backups that you make, of course).

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashok Kumar Bag View Post
    If yes what will happen to the license since i have already upgraded to Windows 10. And will i be allowed to activate Windows 8.1 since i have already upgraded to Windows 10?
    Nothing has happened to the license and yes you will be allowed to activate Windows 8.1
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    10 Sep 2015 #4

    I am confused now.But the comments provided by Mr Finglinger has some substance in it and reasoning behind.
    Anyway I will keep my USB Pendrive intact and not delete its contents for the time being. Although I found Windows 10 far better than Windows 8.1.
    Thanks for all the replies

    Ashok Kumar Bagaria
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    10 Sep 2015 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Just curious, what "substance" his comments have behind them? It's only a post on the internet. If you want substance, call Microsoft and ask them. That's where I got my info from.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    10 Sep 2015 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts : 493
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashok Kumar Bag View Post
    I have lenovo laptop originally with Windows 8.1 installed and now upgraded to Windows 10 on 4th Aug. One month reverting back to Windows 8.1 period is over. Windows. Old directory is automatically deleted.
    My question is whether i can revert back to Windows 8.1 with the recovery DVD which i created after my purchase of Lenovo 50-70?
    If yes what will happen to the license since i have already upgraded to Windows 10. And will i be allowed to activate Windows 8.1 since i have already upgraded to Windows 10?
    Please clarify and help.
    Thanks
    Ashok K Bagaria
    When you reinstall and enter your 8.1 product key Windows 8.1 will activate normally. You are entitled to reinstall the OS that came with your computer. You can later ugrade or clean install Windows 10 again without need of a Windows 10 product key because the computer is already a registered Windows 10 device. This is a new licensing technology.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    11 Sep 2015 #7
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 50
    window 10

    If your laptop has a hidden recovery partion, click the Advaned Startup in the Recovery of Window10 will revert your system to the Windows in the recovery partition.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    11 Sep 2015 #8

    Mr big10 - there are some hidden partitions on drive c- winre_DRV -295mb used, system DRV 32.55 mb used, LRS esp 501.05 mb used, gpt reserved 128 mb used, PBR DRV 9.20 GB used. And I have a USB pendrive created as recovery drive after my purchase. That's all.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    11 Sep 2015 #9

    Mr NavyLCDR - do not get annoyed. It was your advice which prompted me to not delete the contents of my USB recovery drive. If you have the link of Microsoft site which clearly states about this issue, please provide me.
    Thanks in advance
    Ashok
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    11 Sep 2015 #10
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashok Kumar Bag View Post
    Mr NavyLCDR - do not get annoyed. It was your advice which prompted me to not delete the contents of my USB recovery drive. If you have the link of Microsoft site which clearly states about this issue, please provide me.
    Thanks in advance
    Ashok
    I get annoyed by people passing false information that doesn't make any sense as fact.

    1-800-642-7676

    Question asked: "I have a laptop computer that came with Windows 8. It has the Windows 8 key stored in bios. I have upgraded that laptop to Windows 10 on July 30, the day after Windows 10 RTM came out. I have the original restore discs for it that I made when I bought it. If I decide to sell the laptop, can I use the discs to restore the computer back the way I bought it and let the buyer decide if they want to upgrade to Windows 10 or not?"

    Answer I got was, yes. The Windows 8 key in bios would be good as long as it was used for that computer only. An OEM key is good for the life of the computer it was meant for, and a retail or volume license key is good for as long as it does not exceed the number of computers it was purchased for. Call them yourself.

    Microsoft does not permanently revoke a product key just because it was used as the basis for an upgrade - especially since manufacturers now have the ability to put product keys permanently in a computer BIOS and a consumer upgrade to a different version does not alter that product key in bios just as it does not invalidate the original software that product key was meant for which came loaded on that computer from the manufacturer.

    Now, Mr. Finglonger....where did you get your information from?
    I look forward to your answer. You, Ashok, made the claim that his answer had substance to it. Again, I must ask, what substance did it have to it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 - Need some guidance on recovery
One of my spare Windows 10 machines is on life support. I must have clobbered it somehow when I was tweaking the multiple display settings ( to incorporate a HDMI projector). It actually worked fine all week, but today, when I tired to set it...
Installation and Upgrade
"Open with..." not showing possibility for "Another App on this PC"
Hello Community! I am not having the option to choose an app from the PC to open files of unknown type, only to search for an app in the store. Is that normal? If yes, I don't like it, but say I download a file of unknown type, what is the most...
Software and Apps
Solved How do you create recovery media for Windows 10?
I originally purchased Windows 8 and upgraded to 8.1. I installed the Windows 10 upgrade via the downloadable Windows 10 Installation Tool and burning the ISO to a DVD. I understand that this will work to upgrade my system should I need to recover...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved How do I move the Windows 10 recovery partition?
-Solved-
Installation and Upgrade
Windows 10 TP Repair and Recovery Features
I'm currently running the 10 TP in a virtual machine. I see that the various boot and repair options can be accessed by <shift> Restart from the desktop, however F8 during boot doesn't appear to work. Can someone who is actually running this on...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums