Cloning (HDD to SDD) with Windows 10 Recovery Partition functional

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 9
    windows 10
       #1

    Cloning (HDD to SDD) with Windows 10 Recovery Partition functional


    As a newbie I wanted to changeover my HDD which was becoming slow on most tasks with a SSD
    So i got a Samsung 500mb SSD (850QVO)on ebay to swap out my Hitachi 750GB HDD with WIndows 10 on it
    After Cloning with Samsung Magician I found windows (& office and other minor programs work) but the recovery partition does not function (means if you want a clean install of windows again )

    I also tried Macris and aoemi backupper before this...but i thought it asked for a paid version to function

    I took out all the files seperately and moved them across to a portable drive, where I could move them back when ready

    SO my question is how can we get the original Windows recovery files partition across on the new SSD drive and say clean install WIndows after that?
    This is in case I need to recover (or fresh install )after a crash though WIndows does not crash much like the old times
    It just slows down over time..so could do with a fresh install

    I am now having to hang on to the HDD in case I lose the licensed OEM partition version
      My Computer

  2.   My Computers


  3. Posts : 41,536
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #3

    Please

    a) post images of disk management
    How to Post a Screenshot of Disk Management

    b) post results using this bat script using one of these share links: one drive, drop box, or google drive
    https://www.tenforums.com/attachment...iskparinfo.bat


    If you create a bootable Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) (Windows 10 iso) then you can boot to the flash drive and open Windows Recovery Environment (RE).
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 4,634
    several
       #4

    but the recovery partition does not function
    you could clone the recovery partition as well as the os partitions and then after cloning adjust the bcd entry manually to point at the new recovery partition..

    cloning is also called migrating in some programs.

    If you have already cloned the os and recovery partition, probably all you need to do is the bcd entry.

    At admin command prompt type

    bcdedit -enum

    then post the output here
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 9
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    SIW2 said:
    you could clone the recovery partition as well as the os partitions and then after cloning adjust the bcd entry manually to point at the new recovery partition..

    cloning is also called migrating in some programs.

    If you have already cloned the os and recovery partition, probably all you need to do is the bcd entry.

    At admin command prompt type

    bcdedit -enum

    then post the output here
    ==
    I am trying out this first
    ===
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit -enum

    Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier {bootmgr}
    device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2
    path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
    description Windows Boot Manager
    locale en-US
    inherit {globalsettings}
    default {current}
    resumeobject {c256d325-1548-11ed-b762-f0a1ecbbd222}
    displayorder {current}
    toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
    timeout 30

    Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier {current}
    device partition=C:
    path \Windows\system32\winload.efi
    description Windows 10
    locale en-US
    inherit {bootloadersettings}
    recoverysequence {b4bb6bf2-1d98-11eb-bf9b-be1a21733d58}
    displaymessageoverride Recovery
    recoveryenabled Yes
    isolatedcontext Yes
    allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
    osdevice partition=C:
    systemroot \WINDOWS
    resumeobject {c256d325-1548-11ed-b762-f0a1ecbbd222}
    nx OptIn
    bootmenupolicy Standard

    - - - Updated - - -

    - - - Updated - - -

    zbook said:
    Please

    a) post images of disk management
    How to Post a Screenshot of Disk Management

    b) post results using this bat script using one of these share links: one drive, drop box, or google drive
    https://www.tenforums.com/attachment...iskparinfo.bat


    If you create a bootable Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) (Windows 10 iso) then you can boot to the flash drive and open Windows Recovery Environment (RE).
    ====
    Thank you for the help and guidance
    I am not sure my earlier post got lost somehow
    I am trying to post again
    The pictures of both are shared
    Update your browser to use Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Sites, Slides, and Forms - Google Drive Help
    Please have a look and advise
    NB- I meanwhile got hold of a 1TB and using that instead of the original 500GB on my post
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 43,222
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #6

    The pictures of both are shared Update your browser to use Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Sites, Slides, and Forms - Google Drive Help

    To post a screenshot,, the most helpful way for respondents is (as per Tutorial), thus:
    Cloning (HDD to SDD) with Windows 10 Recovery Partition functional-screenshot-.png
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 9
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    dalchina said:
    To post a screenshot,, the most helpful way for respondents is (as per Tutorial), thus:
    Cloning (HDD to SDD) with Windows 10 Recovery Partition functional-screenshot-.png
    I think it was on the google drive link for sharing but the link got some strange name
    DiskM.jpg - Google Drive

    DiskParInfo.log - Google Drive
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 43,222
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #8

    Here's how in detail:

    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums

    Respondents are busy people- they prefer 1 click to see your screenshot, not various links to different systems. Thanks.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 41,536
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #9

    The disk drive currently has this partition architecture:

    data / system / data / data


    The typical architecture for GPT is

    system / reserved / data / recovery


    If you want to you can use a bootable Windows 10 MCT for Windows RE.

    If you want the typical architecture then you can make free backup images using Macrium and restore the C: partition.

    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 9
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #10

    dalchina said:
    Here's how in detail:

    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums

    Respondents are busy people- they prefer 1 click to see your screenshot, not various links to different systems. Thanks.
    Cloning (HDD to SDD) with Windows 10 Recovery Partition functional-diskm.jpgDiskParInfo.log
    Aplogies..was not aware of this being my first post
    I read the google drive upload note so i thought that was the way and did not notice the upload option
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:07.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums