I took the plunge.. Win10 Preview as a primary..

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
  1. badrobot's Avatar
    Posts : 5,258
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #51

    I've been testing image recovery the whole night. I have 2 versions of images. 1 using native windows utility and one using Macrium. There seems to be a bug with Windows created images. Restoration doesn't work and this error pops up:







    I am sure about using 64-bit as the only 32-bit images I have are those for my tablet. I've tried this both on restoring from Win10 back to Win 7, and restoring Win10 to Win10. The only image restoration that works is by using images created with Macrium on pre-OS mode (macrium usb bootable recovery media required).







    Can someone please confirm this? Just try restoring any windows created image on Win 10 TP.

    I do hope it's just me. But if not, we need to report this bug.



    Cheers!
    Last edited by badrobot; 04 Oct 2014 at 02:52.
      My Computer

  2. ICIT2LOL's Avatar
    Posts : 6,371
    1010 Pro on all on various machines version 2004
       #52

    Well I am glad I have seen this thread as it has made up my mind pretty well not to try it - cannot for the life of me see why one would want a "front end" (ie Desktop) like that as I can see has 8 written all over it.
    The only thing that is going to sell it to me is if it is faster OS than 7 as 8.1 turned out to be run in 7 style on two of my machines, plus 10 runs faster than 8.1!!.
    What is it with those panels and the apps?? Another thing that annoys the hell out of me is like 8.1 is my speckie spell check uses a bar to alter rather than the old arrow or hand cursors.
    Disappointing
      My Computer

  3. cfourkays's Avatar
    Posts : 310
    W-10 Pro Insider Preview
       #53

    Disappointing?
    This is a 6 Month preview to point out User niggles and complaints.
      My Computer

  4. RoasterMen's Avatar
    Posts : 832
    Windows 10 LTSC
       #54

    BunnyJ said:
    I would bet that he had hardware issues and driver compatibility issues. When I got a new PC it had "Vista" on it, I hated it. When Win7 beta came out I tested it for one day or less and made that my primary! I did the same with Win8 and Win8.1.

    And now I did the same with Win10. I just took the plunge to test it fully and see how it works with all of the programs/apps that I use and so far so good.

    Jeff :)
    Vista is performing very well under the name of Longhorn (Beta name of Vista) until it's about to get released, performance went going down.
      My Computer

  5. BunnyJ's Avatar
    Posts : 22,727
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Thread Starter
       #55

    RoasterMen said:
    Vista is performing very well under the name of Longhorn (Beta name of Vista) until it's about to get released, performance went going down.
    That didn't happen when 7/8 or 8.1 came out for me.
    Jeff
      My Computer

  6. endeavor's Avatar
    Posts : 78
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 x86/x64
       #56

    BunnyJ said:
    I learned form working at several major business that disaster recovery is a must so I always have an image of my current OS.
    Absolutely, I'm never ever without a backup image either. I keep multiple 2TB drives just for that storage.
    I'll never ever be caught without a way back to square one on any of my OS's. Heck I even still have backup images of Windows 9x, and of course everything since.
    I also keep full back images at different time points of an OS, like right after a fresh install make one, and then once a week or month depending, but only keep the ones that speak to a definite advance for instance when having gone from IE10 to IE11 or major Windows Update or SP changes; that way if I need to refer live to something, I restore the OS partition in minutes and can test/research whatever at that particular timepoint.
    Anyway, like you, I am a partition backup enthusiast for sure, it's actually one of my favorite things to do alongside of software testings.
      My Computer

  7. Dude's Avatar
    Posts : 15,073
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #57

    badrobot said:
    I've been testing image recovery the whole night. I have 2 versions of images. 1 using native windows utility and one using Macrium. There seems to be a bug with Windows created images. Restoration doesn't work and this error pops up:







    I am sure about using 64-bit as the only 32-bit images I have are those for my tablet. I've tried this both on restoring from Win10 back to Win 7, and restoring Win10 to Win10. The only image restoration that works is by using images created with Macrium on pre-OS mode (macrium usb bootable recovery media required).







    Can someone please confirm this? Just try restoring any windows created image on Win 10 TP.

    I do hope it's just me. But if not, we need to report this bug.



    Cheers!
    It's not just you, my image gave me the same error .

    I'm, going to reinstall 8, then restore my image, then try the upgrade instead of clean install, then test if the image will work. Fun times
      My Computers

  8. Indianatone's Avatar
    Posts : 454
    Windows 10 Pro
       #58

    ICit2lol said:
    Well I am glad I have seen this thread as it has made up my mind pretty well not to try it - cannot for the life of me see why one would want a "front end" (ie Desktop) like that as I can see has 8 written all over it.
    The only thing that is going to sell it to me is if it is faster OS than 7 as 8.1 turned out to be run in 7 style on two of my machines, plus 10 runs faster than 8.1!!.
    What is it with those panels and the apps?? Another thing that annoys the hell out of me is like 8.1 is my speckie spell check uses a bar to alter rather than the old arrow or hand cursors.
    Disappointing
    John, you need to download it and run it in a virtual machine. Yes it is an early beta, yes it has 8 writen all over it just like 7 have vista all over it at first. M$ want feedback and we need you Geek Expertise to take a look and come up with some feedback. This is more of a desktop OS ATM so at least give it a test drive on a VM or one of your back up machines.
      My Computers

  9. badrobot's Avatar
    Posts : 5,258
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #59

    Dude said:
    It's not just you, my image gave me the same error .

    I'm, going to reinstall 8, then restore my image, then try the upgrade instead of clean install, then test if the image will work. Fun times


    Last night I tried upgrading my cloned copy of Windows 7 to 10. Everything went smooth. All my installed programs were not touched.




    Then I tried restoring back to 7 using Windows image. I got error as shown above. Then I used Macrium image to restore back to 7 and it was successful.





    I think MS is being sneaky on this one.
    Last edited by badrobot; 04 Oct 2014 at 16:54.
      My Computer

  10. Dude's Avatar
    Posts : 15,073
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #60

    I'm not calling it a bug for me now. I reinstalled 8 and the image still didn't work , now I have to reinstall all my software. It's a pain, but at least I keep my important data on separate hard drives just in case. After I get my 8 back up to par, I will try dual boot this time.
      My Computers


 
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:43.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums