Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    28 Aug 2015 #1

    No user data in windows.old


    After an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, there is a windows.old folder in the root directory of c:. Within windows.old, there is a \Users folder, and within the \Users folder there are child folders for the user accounts that were on Windows 7, but none of the child folders have data.

    This is not a disaster as I have an image backup of the partition, but I find it damned curious and wonder how this might have happened. Anyone have a idea?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    28 Aug 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post
    After an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, there is a windows.old folder in the root directory of c:. Within windows.old, there is a \Users folder, and within the \Users folder there are child folders for the user accounts that were on Windows 7, but none of the child folders have data.

    This is not a disaster as I have an image backup of the partition, but I find it damned curious and wonder how this might have happened. Anyone have a idea?
    Use Disk cleanup by chance or anything similar ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    28 Aug 2015 #3

    Not that I know of, but I'm not the only one with access to the machine.

    However, as I understand it, using disk cleanup (clean system files) would remove the entire windows.old folder. In this case the folder is still there, there's just no data for users, although the user folders are present, i.e., there's \Users\ron, but the folder ron is empty.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    28 Aug 2015 #4
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,016
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Instead of looking in Windows.old. if I remember correctly, look in your Win10 users folder(turn on hidden items) and see if there is an extra folder from the upgrade there, I can't remember what it's called(already clean installed on both PCs).
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    29 Aug 2015 #5
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post
    Not that I know of, but I'm not the only one with access to the machine.

    However, as I understand it, using disk cleanup (clean system files) would remove the entire windows.old folder. In this case the folder is still there, there's just no data for users, although the user folders are present, i.e., there's \Users\ron, but the folder ron is empty.
    True, would of wiped it, just a thought of a possibility disk cleanup will usually remove windows backup and updates if checked on box of cleanup.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    29 Aug 2015 #6

    I found an obscure Technet item that indicated this could happen if the upgrade process runs twice in succession...the first upgrade creates the normal windows.old folder, the second creates a new windows.old folder over the first, but there is no user data since the user accounts haven't been set up yet.

    I seem to recall that when the upgrade ran on that machine I did have to answer the setup questions twice...which I found a bit odd, but since things seemed to be working I didn't think much of it. Now, why the upgrader would run twice...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    29 Aug 2015 #7
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post
    I found an obscure Technet item that indicated this could happen if the upgrade process runs twice in succession...the first upgrade creates the normal windows.old folder, the second creates a new windows.old folder over the first, but there is no user data since the user accounts haven't been set up yet.

    I seem to recall that when the upgrade ran on that machine I did have to answer the setup questions twice...which I found a bit odd, but since things seemed to be working I didn't think much of it. Now, why the upgrader would run twice...
    Have that article, i do find that strange ? Have anything to do with more users on PC you meant ? Where you looking for files that were missing during the upgrade, reasons for you checking there in first place or out of curiosity ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    29 Aug 2015 #8

    I was hoping to find a copy of a document I had intentionally deleted from my Windows 10 installation and then decided I wanted back. I knew it had been on the machine at the time the upgrade was done, and I thought I could just pull a copy from Windows.old instead of having to go through the monkey motion of getting it from the backup image. I was surprised to find no user data in Windows.old and that made me curious.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    29 Aug 2015 #9
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post
    I was hoping to find a copy of a document I had intentionally deleted from my Windows 10 installation and then decided I wanted back. I knew it had been on the machine at the time the upgrade was done, and I thought I could just pull a copy from Windows.old instead of having to go through the monkey motion of getting it from the backup image. I was surprised to find no user data in Windows.old and that made me curious.
    Check where Cliff S told you if find it there. Even though made a system image, all files like this (e.g. Documents, music,videos,pictures) should be always put on a backup drive, told in tutorials here and many other places before upgrading.
    We all learn from our mistakes, not sure how to retrieve it from image or anywhere else.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    29 Aug 2015 #10
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,016
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    rb did you happen to sync your documents with OneDrive on the previous OS? Even if you deleted it Onedrive has a recycle bin too that must be accessed from the internet(not from win7 or win8 but from the browser) to be cleared. This has helped me twice when I accidentally deleted a couple of scripts I needed later on(almost as easy to recover as from File History if I hadn't cleaned it out too).
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Enable/Add Data Dedup to Windows 10?
Hey all, I went ahead with the Windows 10 Upgrade to my main PC. I have a secondary drive (E:) which holds all my music, games, etc; stuff that I like to keep away from a Windows Install. In Windows 8.1 I had the Windows Deduplication enabled on...
General Support
a user can see by anyway other user files? Emails outlook, or
Users accounts in win 10 pro a user can see by anyway other user files? Emails outlook, or passwords in chrome or robofirm password manager...? to switcgph users needed shutdown... ? For user creation ms account is optional?
User Accounts and Family Safety
Solved data usage not working on windows 10?
hi, here my problem. i use usb modem huawei on windows 10 x64 pc. just recently i just notice my data usage not showwing anymore, i do dism ..nothing corrupt..sfc..same..basicly windows didnt corrupt.. so..how do i make it work again ..sorry (bad...
Software and Apps
Windows Hides My Old Data
IS hiding your Desktop app icons from Windows 7 along with pictures a hidden feature in 10? I have installed Windows 10 Pro thru my upgrade and all of my Desktop app icons and pictures/videos were all hidden. I just went into folder options and...
General Support
How can I reset the sync data in Windows 10 ?
Hello, Excuse me my bad english. I have an issue with MS Account and Windows 10. When the first official build was available, I made an install. But I made a mistake with my username. Instead of typing Leonardo, I typed Leona. :o With that, I...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:30.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums