Windows 10 Pro - USB vs Official Download

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

  1. Posts : 3,507
    Windows 11 Pro, 22H2
       #81

    Thanks for the detailed info.

    As for running a local account with 22H2, yes, I know multiple ways around that so that's a piece of cake
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 1,457
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v21H2
       #82

    hsehestedt said:
    Thanks for the detailed info.

    As for running a local account with 22H2, yes, I know multiple ways around that so that's a piece of cake
    With Windows 11 Home the setup won't start unless the Internet is connected. After you get past the first part you can disconnect the Internet. You are then able to just create a local account.

    With Windows 11 Pro it is easier because you can start with the Internet disconnected Like home you able to just create a local account.

    After the first boot and login you probably want to connect the Internet so you can get updates.

    BYW, while running the virtual machine with Hyper-V I can go into the settings and toggle the network off and on any time. When I upgraded to Windows 11 on this computer I had to physically disconnect and connect the Ethernet cable to do the same thing.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 3,507
    Windows 11 Pro, 22H2
       #83

    Actually, that changes a bit in 22H2, where the restrictions are even greater, but that's ok. Regardless of whether I'm installing home or pro, 21H2 or 22H2, I have workarounds for all of it. It's effectively a non-issue for me.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 1,457
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v21H2
       #84

    hsehestedt said:
    Actually, that changes a bit in 22H2, where the restrictions are even greater, but that's ok. Regardless of whether I'm installing home or pro, 21H2 or 22H2, I have workarounds for all of it. It's effectively a non-issue for me.
    I just installed 22H2 Home and Pro. You are right. They did tighten it up. For both I have to keep the network connected at all times. However, I tried a new workaround and installed both without logging into a Microsoft account.

    Windows 10 Pro - USB vs  Official Download-winver.jpg


    Windows 10 Pro - USB vs  Official Download-account.jpg
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 3,507
    Windows 11 Pro, 22H2
       #85

    MisterEd,

    I usually handle it in one of two ways depending upon what I want to do. First, I should note that I rarely ever install Home. I prefer Pro on everything . The first method will work only on Pro, but the second will work on either.

    1) This method still requires an internet connection. I follow the installation up to the point where it wants me choose if I am installing for personal use or business. Rather than selecting the usual option of "personal" I choose the "business" option. I don't have it in front of me, but on the next screen I think there is some choice that says something like other options. I select that. Choose to perform a Domain Join. No, we won't actually join a domain! If you proceed, you can enter a local account name. Done! As I noted, only down side is that an Internet connection is still needed.

    2) This is my preferred method. I simply drop an autounattend.xml unattended answer file in the root of my installation media. I made the answer file so that the only thing it does is create a local user account with no network connection needed. The entire rest of the setup experience is just like normal. One reason I like this method is that with a simple tweak, I can also add the workarounds for unsupported hardware to the same answer file. Or, if I want to go the full distance, I make that answer file so that it performs the entire installation from start to finish completely unattended. Easy!
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 1,457
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v21H2
       #86

    hsehestedt said:
    MisterEd,

    I usually handle it in one of two ways depending upon what I want to do. First, I should note that I rarely ever install Home. I prefer Pro on everything . The first method will work only on Pro, but the second will work on either.

    1) This method still requires an internet connection. I follow the installation up to the point where it wants me choose if I am installing for personal use or business. Rather than selecting the usual option of "personal" I choose the "business" option. I don't have it in front of me, but on the next screen I think there is some choice that says something like other options. I select that. Choose to perform a Domain Join. No, we won't actually join a domain! If you proceed, you can enter a local account name. Done! As I noted, only down side is that an Internet connection is still needed.

    2) This is my preferred method. I simply drop an autounattend.xml unattended answer file in the root of my installation media. I made the answer file so that the only thing it does is create a local user account with no network connection needed. The entire rest of the setup experience is just like normal. One reason I like this method is that with a simple tweak, I can also add the workarounds for unsupported hardware to the same answer file. Or, if I want to go the full distance, I make that answer file so that it performs the entire installation from start to finish completely unattended. Easy!
    I found this online. The way I did it works for both Home and Pro. I entered a bogus email address and password and then pressed Next. I get an error and it then asks me to create a local account. BTW, I entered the following:
    Email address: MickeyMouse
    Password: None
    I was surprised something that crazy worked.

    In case anyone is interested Windows 11 22H2 has not been released to the public yet. I got it as a beta from the Windows Insider Program.

    Trivia. The first release of Windows I received as a Windows Insider was called Longhorn. Guess what the release name was.

    That wasn't even the first version of Windows I tested. In April 1995 I beta tested Windows 95. The first release or two came on a bunch of floppy disks. I was glad when they finally switched to CDs. Windows 95 was release to the public on October1995.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 3,507
    Windows 11 Pro, 22H2
       #87

    Yep, I remember those. I had to install Windows from floppy many times every single day. Hated that.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 26,313
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #88

    MisterEd said:
    I just installed 22H2 Home and Pro. You are right. They did tighten it up. For both I have to keep the network connected at all times. However, I tried a new workaround and installed both without logging into a Microsoft account.
    hsehestedt said:
    I usually handle it in one of two ways depending upon what I want to do....
    There is of course a third way that requires no workaround. If you upgrade a W10 machine that only has local accounts then W11 Setup won't change that or force you to switch
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 629
    windows 10
       #89

    When no solution will work anymore, it will have to be bored with the long password of the account that we have chosen as very long to properly secure the online account.
    Last edited by itsme1; 16 Aug 2022 at 23:02.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,337
    Windows 10 Pro
       #90

    NavyLCDR said:
    If @Sapien 1 wants to have an official, read-only, Microsoft original flash drive of Windows 10, and the associated carboard box it came in as a "collector's item" them more power to him or her. I kind of wish I still had my TRS-80 Model 1 computer as a collector's item. However, if @Sapien 1 thinks that the USB flash drive included has some magical powers to fix his/her problems with the current computer and corrupted files, then obviously it is a waste of money.

    To @Sapien 1 - I hope you realize that the collector's value of the Microsoft Retail Boxed Windows 10 is increased if you leave it unsealed and in original condition - which is what I would recommend you do as a "collector". But if you want to unseal the box and use the flash drive inside to re-install Windows 10, then you are completely wasting your money. But, it is your money to dispose of how you see fit.
    I have some 8" and some 5 1/4" floppy disks from like 1980. I do have the jackets but obviously these floppies are used. Do they have collectible value? Like, I wish my mother never threw out my baseball cards.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:31.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums