Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
  1.    27 Aug 2015 #31
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    I'm in the ghetto
    Posts : 705
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    @xyz, I think you are really making this soooo complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    I think it is best - safest - to only use solutions designed/ for and proven on Windows 10 - which is a new and different system
    Fair enough, in that case use the solution I offered in post #2. (The first solution offered). The product is designed for Win10:

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyMe View Post
    I know a few people who swear by MiniTool Partition Wizard for this type of task. See below for the product link and instructions for SSD transfer

    MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition 9.1

    Tutorial - Transfer Windows 10 to SSD with MiniTool Partition Wizard

    Please read my sig with regard to backups. If you don't do a backup first and it all it goes wrong...well...you'd only have yourself to blame if you didn't backup first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    I hadn't spotted that feature of MiniTool Partiton Wizard. Is the migration facility reliable?
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyMe View Post
    I've never used MiniTool as I use Paragon Hard Disk Management Suite. I only posted it up as a free option for the OP to consider. MiniTool does seem to have a good rep though...so I'd **imagine** it would be fine...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    Yes I used it moving over from my test drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyMe View Post
    lol You are like the forum guinea-pig!! Good to know it works though
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    27 Aug 2015 #32
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 128
    windows 10 Pro x64

    use migration software for the ssd to clone the disk. i had windows 7 on a hdd and used samsung migration software to clone it over to the ssd. took maybe ~15 ish minutes maybe less. rebooted and formatted the hdd. done!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    27 Aug 2015 #33
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts : 2,417
    MS Windows 10 Pro - Perm Activation of 10585

    Quote Originally Posted by m0nk3n View Post
    use migration software for the ssd to clone the disk. i had windows 7 on a hdd and used samsung migration software to clone it over to the ssd. took maybe ~15 ish minutes maybe less. rebooted and formatted the hdd. done!
    In talking to personnel in office, the ones using SSD by Samsung 500GB EVO SATA III are very happy with it, and it some with software for HHD to SSD copy and confirm. Did the job i a few minutes. all be safe... Cliff M.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    27 Aug 2015 #34
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Berlin
    Posts : 54
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by acmanten View Post
    In talking to personnel in office, the ones using SSD by Samsung 500GB EVO SATA III are very happy with it, and it some with software for HHD to SSD copy and confirm. Did the job i a few minutes. all be safe... Cliff M.

    Are we talking about using it for WINDOWS 10 here? (and on Notebook)

    because I know it works for 7, 8, 8.1 - Samsung says it does and it does - but with WINDOWS 10 - it has not yet been updated (or new version made) - and most of what I have read so far - is that it does not work on WINDOWS 10 = The Data migration part !!! (not the SSD management part) = this does not work (or work correctly)!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    27 Aug 2015 #35
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 128
    windows 10 Pro x64

    i was just referring to an easy method i used to get my windows 7 from hdd to ssd.

    i know that rapid mode in samsung magician is not yet supported. not even in 4.6.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    27 Aug 2015 #36
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 382
    Windows 10 Home x64

    Maybe you're already up and running on your SSD if that's the case then nevermind this post.

    Both times I moved to an SSD (first time from HDD, second time from SSD to larger SSD) the Samsung migration software and cable wouldn't work for me. I do a backup and an image every Sunday at 7:00pm to a second drive, I ended up installing the SSD and booting from my Win7 cd, then chose repair/reinstall from backup image and installed the backup image to the new SSD. This was with Win7 but the same thing should work with W10, I did have to boot from install media and run startup repair to get my computer to boot from the new SSD.

    I know you're using a laptop, you can backup and image to an external drive, then install your new SSD, boot from W10 install media, repair with backup image to your new SSD. I've done this on my wife's laptop so I know it will work. The caveat is the three times I used this method were all with Win7, I see no reason why it wouldn't work the same with W10. The backup and image function works the same, so I would think the repair/reinstall from backup image would work too.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    27 Aug 2015 #37
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 382
    Windows 10 Home x64

    Quote Originally Posted by m0nk3n View Post
    i was just referring to an easy method i used to get my windows 7 from hdd to ssd.

    i know that rapid mode in samsung magician is not yet supported. not even in 4.6.
    I'm running Samsung Magician 4.5 and my Rapid Mode is enabled, I didn't change anything, most settings followed when I upgraded Win7 Home to W10 Home. Appears that setting did follow for Magician.

    The OS, Win7 and above line states "Error in Obtaining Information" so apparently it doesn't know about W10 yet.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSD Rapid Mode.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	34286
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    28 Aug 2015 #38
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    UK
    Posts : 2,166
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)

    You could install an OS then recover the image as mentioned in post 36. However, if you use Macrium Reflect and have the image on your external HDD, you can simply boot the Macrium recovery drive and recover the image from that - see my post 8.
    Last edited by Steve C; 28 Aug 2015 at 10:20.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    28 Aug 2015 #39
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 111
    windows 8.1

    Quote Originally Posted by CmmTch View Post
    Maybe you're already up and running on your SSD if that's the case then nevermind this post.

    Both times I moved to an SSD (first time from HDD, second time from SSD to larger SSD) the Samsung migration software and cable wouldn't work for me. I do a backup and an image every Sunday at 7:00pm to a second drive, I ended up installing the SSD and booting from my Win7 cd, then chose repair/reinstall from backup image and installed the backup image to the new SSD. This was with Win7 but the same thing should work with W10, I did have to boot from install media and run startup repair to get my computer to boot from the new SSD.

    I know you're using a laptop, you can backup and image to an external drive, then install your new SSD, boot from W10 install media, repair with backup image to your new SSD. I've done this on my wife's laptop so I know it will work. The caveat is the three times I used this method were all with Win7, I see no reason why it wouldn't work the same with W10. The backup and image function works the same, so I would think the repair/reinstall from backup image would work too.
    This is the best suggestion so far, just as steve C wrote install ssd in your laptop and go from there, forget about partition, make things simple.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    28 Aug 2015 #40
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 382
    Windows 10 Home x64

    I use windows backup and create image to auto backup weekly to a second HDD, also used windows restore from backup image to put the image on the new drives. Didn't use any 3rd party software any of the three times I did this, the existing windows backup/image and restore from backup/image worked fine for me.

    I'm not saying anything about anything when it comes to using 3rd party software for this function, everybody should use what they want, and most important, what works. Just saying that those functions already exist in the windows OS and should work for what you need.

    Good luck
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Missing operating system
I am using build 10130 NL, today I got update to build 10240. After the update I have the problem "Missing operating system" . Anyone who know what is going wrong. I am using a ASUS X77J series laptop with SSD drive. Looking forward to some advice,...
Installation and Upgrade
Desktop Operating System
Am I alone, or are there others out there who would like a DESKTOP operating system to use with their DESKTOP computers? Swiping, pinching, tapping, chanting arcane spells to your Cortana crystal ball, ... -- all these may be OK on a phone or...
General Support
Missing Operating System
When i turned on my PC this morning i was met with a black screen and missing os written in it. I thought bugger you MS. Little did i realize i had left my portable drive hooked up from last night. Unplugged it and all was back to normal. This may...
Installation and Upgrade
Your next operating system: Your datacenter
Read more: Your next operating system: Your datacenter | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums