Windows 10: How do I move my operating system to a SSD.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 2,017
    MS Windows 10 Pro - Perm Activation of 10585
       16 Sep 2015 #121

    Word Man said: View Post
    Actually...no I didn't catch that in any of your posts. If you did do a successful verify in Macrium, that's a positive indication but not necessarily an iron-clad guarantee that it will restore properly. It wouldn't hurt to check the log file in Macrium (from within Windows Macrium interface: third tab, on right - Backup Restore Log) and make sure it shows all steps completed normally.

    Next step, if you're comfortable with that image, is deciding how you want to do the swap. I'm sure opinions will vary greatly among forum members on the "best" method to do the swap - you've got more than one option you can decide among. The most obvious (since you're NOT opting to do a clean install at this point) is simply (but taking all due precautions we discussed) physically removing the HDD from the Acer and installing the SSD in it's place, booting the system from your Macrium Rescue DVD, and performing a restore of that image to your SSD.

    A technical note - Your HDD now in the Acer is a 9.5mm thick drive. That SSD is 7mm thick. From what I saw in a YouTube video of a guy removing the HDD from your Acer model, it may be that, after disconnecting the cables, you unscrew the HDD from a mounting bracket and, if you're lucky, you just use the same screws to attach the SSD to the mounting bracket in the same holes existing in same position on the SSD - 4 holes on one large flat side of the drive. That kind of mounting may not require addressing the 2.5mm thickness difference. Otherwise, you want the mounting stable and you may have to use a spacer or shim of some kind to ensure a firm mounting.

    By all means PM me and we can arrange to discuss further, if you want to, before or as you jump into it.
    Word Man and all,

    I did not look at the computer again last night but was doing other things. I will check the logs when I get home today.

    I do feel good about the drive checking and hardware checking so that will be OK. I believe we are OK at this point and I need to just finish it but still have many other things to do before Monday.
    Thanks for you help.. I will just be read some today... My data is fine on my HDD now...
    tks be safe. cliff M.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 26,460
    Windows10Pro 64Bit - Build 14393.1198
       16 Sep 2015 #122

    Just for info reasons on mounting the new ssd into computer. I bought a 2.5" HDD/SSD Mounting kit which converts a 3.5" drive bay to 2x2.5" drive bay for installing any ssd into regular computer bay, cost is about 5 bucks. I bought 2 of them off Amazon.
    Maybe you don't need one, I don't know your Acer internal setup. Just thought I would throw this out their.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 1,177
    Windows 10 Home
       16 Sep 2015 #123

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Just for info reasons on mounting the new ssd into computer. I bought a 2.5" HDD/SSD Mounting kit which converts a 3.5" drive bay to 2x2.5" drive bay for installing any ssd into regular computer bay, cost is about 5 bucks. I bought 2 of them off Amazon.
    Maybe you don't need one, I don't know your Acer internal setup. Just thought I would throw this out their.
    OldMike - I looked up the drive showing on Cliff's MiniTool screenshot and it's a 2.5". Hopefully, he can just make use of the mounting hardware that's there, aside from maybe or maybe not having to account for the 2.5mm difference in thickness.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cliffs 1TB Samsung HDD.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	37807
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 26,460
    Windows10Pro 64Bit - Build 14393.1198
       16 Sep 2015 #124

    Well then Cliff should have no problems putting in the new ssd, very cool!!! My computer needed one, all my drive bays are 3.5 But early this morning, I just bought a new toy to play with. I bought an HP Envy Phoenix with a 27" monitor, its used not new, but loaded with all kinds of features. Like 8 usb 3.0 slots. The price was just too good to pass up on.
    Here is a link to describe it. HP ENVY Phoenix 810-160 PC i7 4770 3.4Ghz 250GB SSD 1TB Win 10 With 27" Monitor!

      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 26,460
    Windows10Pro 64Bit - Build 14393.1198
       16 Sep 2015 #125

    Opps link don't work....oh well....Hope everything goes smooth for installing Cliffs SSD!!!!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 2,017
    MS Windows 10 Pro - Perm Activation of 10585
       16 Sep 2015 #126

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Opps link don't work....oh well....Hope everything goes smooth for installing Cliffs SSD!!!!
    Thanks for all


    Yesterday - I checked the *IMAGE data with Macrium and it was all verified as completed successfully. I had some other tings to do lasst night, and my open my Acer i5 today when home and change our the hDD and put in the SSD. I want to get it done but no hurry.
    Thanks for all your comments and help. Cliff M.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 1,177
    Windows 10 Home
       16 Sep 2015 #127

    acmanten said: View Post
    Thanks for all


    Yesterday - I checked the *IMAGE data with Macrium and it was all verified as completed successfully. I had some other tings to do lasst night, and my open my Acer i5 today when home and change our the hDD and put in the SSD. I want to get it done but no hurry.
    Thanks for all your comments and help. Cliff M.
    Just another technical note: Your disk image is from a 1TB HDD and you are targeting restoring it to a 500GB SSD. Macrium Reflect can handle this restore to a smaller disk (since the actual data content of your 1TB HDD is less than 500GB) but follow the prompts in the restore carefully. Feel free to contact me as always if questions or difficulties.

    A good read to check before starting is here: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...ion+properties
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 2,017
    MS Windows 10 Pro - Perm Activation of 10585
       16 Sep 2015 #128

    Word Man said: View Post
    Just another technical note: Your disk image is from a 1TB HDD and you are targeting restoring it to a 500GB SSD. Macrium Reflect can handle this restore to a smaller disk (since the actual data content of your 1TB HDD is less than 500GB) but follow the prompts in the restore carefully. Feel free to contact me as always if questions or difficulties.
    Thanks for your note and I am trying to be very careful. So much of this stuff is brand new to me, and I had a friend who always did all the hardware side of it. His untimely passing was a real shock.....
    Now I always try to "measure twice, cut once." be safe.. Cliff M.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 2,017
    MS Windows 10 Pro - Perm Activation of 10585
       17 Sep 2015 #129

    acmanten said: View Post
    Thanks for your note and I am trying to be very careful. So much of this stuff is brand new to me, and I had a friend who always did all the hardware side of it. His untimely passing was a real shock.....
    Now I always try to "measure twice, cut once." be safe.. Cliff M.
    new day and here is what I have now. more later

    Attachment 37968
    tks
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 2,017
    MS Windows 10 Pro - Perm Activation of 10585
       17 Sep 2015 #130

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Just for info reasons on mounting the new ssd into computer. I bought a 2.5" HDD/SSD Mounting kit which converts a 3.5" drive bay to 2x2.5" drive bay for installing any ssd into regular computer bay, cost is about 5 bucks. I bought 2 of them off Amazon.
    Maybe you don't need one, I don't know your Acer internal setup. Just thought I would throw this out their.
    Mike
    Thanks for all your comments, research and help to me and Kenn. I really appreciate your following the story and know much about it.
    Cliff
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Missing operating system in Installation and Upgrade
I am using build 10130 NL, today I got update to build 10240. After the update I have the problem "Missing operating system" . Anyone who know what is going wrong. I am using a ASUS X77J series laptop with SSD drive. Looking forward to some advice,...
Desktop Operating System in General Support
Am I alone, or are there others out there who would like a DESKTOP operating system to use with their DESKTOP computers? Swiping, pinching, tapping, chanting arcane spells to your Cortana crystal ball, ... -- all these may be OK on a phone or...
Missing Operating System in Installation and Upgrade
When i turned on my PC this morning i was met with a black screen and missing os written in it. I thought bugger you MS. Little did i realize i had left my portable drive hooked up from last night. Unplugged it and all was back to normal. This may...
Read more: Your next operating system: Your datacenter | ZDNet
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35.
Find Us