Windows 10: asking info about a Clean Install and activation of Win 10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 2,018
    MS Windows 10 Pro - Perm Activation of 10585
       25 Aug 2015 #1

    asking info about a Clean Install and activation of Win 10


    My upgrade to Win 10 all appears to be OK, and at onetime it even said that is was ACTIVATED, but later after I went to settings, it reverted back to saying not activated,,, and one of the other places it still says it is activated, but itne systems it say the it is not actived now.

    So, my question is: Do you think if I did a "Clean install" that maybe I would be able to get it activated ?

    Thanks for your comments. Cliff M acmanten
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 25,613
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       25 Aug 2015 #2

    acmanten said: View Post
    My upgrade to Win 10 all appears to be OK, and at onetime it even said that is was ACTIVATED, but later after I went to settings, it reverted back to saying not activated,,, and one of the other places it still says it is activated, but itne systems it say the it is not actived now.

    So, my question is: Do you think if I did a "Clean install" that maybe I would be able to get it activated ?

    Thanks for your comments. Cliff M acmanten
    Hi there, Cliff.

    Let's check your activation status first. Press WinKey/X > Choose Command Prompt (Admin) > Copy the command below > Right click on the Command Prompt window header > Choose "Edit" > Then "Paste" > Press Enter. A window should appear giving status.

    slmgr /xpr
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    25 Aug 2015 #3

    acmanten said: View Post
    So, my question is: Do you think if I did a "Clean install" that maybe I would be able to get it activated ?
    Hard to say -- for sure. Yeah, everyone's going to tell you that a clean install is automatically going to reactivate -- but, they're only really guessing because that is what it is SUPPOSED to do. But then, it's NOT supposed to be saying activated in one place and NOT activated in another place.

    Have you tried using the slmgr commands? This thread shows you how to check: How to check your activation....
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 2,018
    MS Windows 10 Pro - Perm Activation of 10585
    Thread Starter
       25 Aug 2015 #4

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    Hi there, Cliff.

    Let's check your activation status first. Press WinKey/X > Choose Command Prompt (Admin) > Copy the command below > Right click on the Command Prompt window header > Choose "Edit" > Then "Paste" > Press Enter. A window should appear giving status.

    slmgr /xpr
    OK, tks, and I will try that @home on that win 10 desktop tonight...
    tks, cliff M.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 2,018
    MS Windows 10 Pro - Perm Activation of 10585
    Thread Starter
       25 Aug 2015 #5

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    Hi there, Cliff.

    Let's check your activation status first. Press WinKey/X > Choose Command Prompt (Admin) > Copy the command below > Right click on the Command Prompt window header > Choose "Edit" > Then "Paste" > Press Enter. A window should appear giving status.

    slmgr /xpr
    tks, and I had no idea before about that way to check the status.

    Maybe this is a good time to ask. Is there anyway on Ten-Forums that a user is able to FORWARD a message like the one above to himself ? tks Cliff M.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 25,613
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       25 Aug 2015 #6

    acmanten said: View Post
    OK, tks, and I will try that @home on that win 10 desktop tonight...
    tks, cliff M.
    You're welcome.

    Actually this command gives more detail: slmgr /dlv
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 25,613
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       25 Aug 2015 #7

    acmanten said: View Post
    tks, and I had no idea before about that way to check the status.

    Maybe this is a good time to ask. Is there anyway on Ten-Forums that a user is able to FORWARD a message like the one above to himself ? tks Cliff M.
    The only thing I can think of is to copy and paste it into an email to yourself.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    25 Aug 2015 #8

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    You're welcome.

    Actually this command gives more detail: slmgr /dlv
    But that one won't contain a key piece of info the OP would be looking for - the expiration date of the activation :-).
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 25,613
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       25 Aug 2015 #9

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    But that one won't contain a key piece of info the OP would be looking for - the expiration date of the activation :-).
    Thanks. I stand corrected. It's slmgr/xpr
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    25 Aug 2015 #10

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    But that one won't contain a key piece of info the OP would be looking for - the expiration date of the activation :-).
    Actually it does. Here is slmgr /dlv for my 10240 partition (no expiry) and my 10525 (expiry next July). slmgr /xpr says "permanently activated" in both cases.

    slmgr /dlv on an activated windows 10 upgraded to 10525 preview
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10525 redacted.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	35704

    slmgr /dlv on an activated 10240 RTM version
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before - redacted.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	35705
    Last edited by lx07; 04 Sep 2015 at 15:29. Reason: Updated pictures
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Activation query after clean install in Windows Updates and Activation
A friend's Asus 8.1 laptop was stuck in an automatic repair loop so I suggested that he upgrade to Windows 10. Because he was unable to access his system, I opted for a clean install and I created a bootable Win 10 usb on another pc. I used this...
No activation after clean install in Windows Updates and Activation
I upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. All went well and it showed as activated. Today I did a clean install and all went well. However, after clean install it shows it is not activated and they want money for a key. What is going on?
Hi there This method will give IMO the best way of updating your system to W10 via an "Almost" clean install. 1) Re-install CLEAN your old legacy OS -- at boot delete all the Windows partitions so there's NOTHING on the HDD (or Windows "C"...
Hello, I took part in the free upgrade offer from 7 and used the media creation tool to upgrade (probably should have waited for the upgrade notification but meh), It worked my windows 10 is activated but, I noticed that it wasn't a clean install...
Solved Clean Install to New Crucial SSD Activation in Windows Updates and Activation
I just got off the phone with MS Support.:mad: My current HD is so full I decided to install a new Crucial 500GB SSD to hold the OS and all Apps. I have downloaded Win 10 ISO and burned it to a Disc with the intent of installing to the new SSD which...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:33.
Find Us