Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1.    23 Aug 2015 #31
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 111
    windows 8.1

    the reason I bring up blank HD because I have one PC that needs this kind of boot up, I have tried many ways to get it boot up the OP has the same problem. At the end of the day I got clean install, that is what counts. I would not would want my HD to be blank and physically put the HD in. I believe the older PC has this kind of problem, not everyone though. By any mean necessary to get this done, this is the solution I proposed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    23 Aug 2015 #32
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 60
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    I dont quite understand what you mean by put a blank HDD in as i dont have any blank hard drives.

    I burned another DVD to try but same thing happens.

    There is content on the disc though and starts to install if i run the exe. but then hits a problem.

    I borrowed a friends USB and i can boot and install from that so must be a DVD issue.

    Why can u only install form boot and not exe is there a difference?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    23 Aug 2015 #33
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 41
    Tech Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by gbu View Post
    .

    Why can u only install form boot and not exe is there a difference?
    If you want a clean install you must boot the pc with the install media.
    To do an upgrade, you can just start the setup.exe file in the media.

    Whichever method you use, don't enter a product key when asked by the setup process.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    23 Aug 2015 #34
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 111
    windows 8.1

    Quote Originally Posted by gbu View Post
    I dont quite understand what you mean by put a blank HDD in as i dont have any blank hard drives.

    I burned another DVD to try but same thing happens.

    There is content on the disc though and starts to install if i run the exe. but then hits a problem.

    I borrowed a friends USB and i can boot and install from that so must be a DVD issue.

    Why can u only install form boot and not exe is there a difference?
    what i meant blank HD is formatted with NTFS, with any data in your PC. What is so difficult to remove the current HD and replace with it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    23 Aug 2015 #35
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ramram55 View Post
    what i meant blank HD is formatted with NTFS, with any data in your PC. What is so difficult to remove the current HD and replace with it.
    Well, I don't personally keep blank hard drives laying around just to make my computer boot from DVD. Don't think I know anyone else that does either...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    23 Aug 2015 #36
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by ramram55 View Post
    what i meant blank HD is formatted with NTFS, with any data in your PC. What is so difficult to remove the current HD and replace with it.
    Why should anyone need to do this when it's totally unnecessary??
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    23 Aug 2015 #37
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 111
    windows 8.1

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    Why should anyone need to do this when it's totally unnecessary??
    This is the last resort, my blank hd is easy to install in my laptop. That is, what I did with success.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    23 Aug 2015 #38
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 5,382
    Windows 10 Pro X64 16299.19

    You can get a 8GB for under $10 from Amazon and lots of other places. Even Walmart has a 3 pack for $15 and 16GB for $5.99.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    24 Aug 2015 #39
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 60
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    Ill but a USB and do it that way, i know that method works because i borrowed a friends one to see and it booted ok.

    I would still like to know why i cant boot from the DVD though as with all previous back ups of OS i have booted this way via DVD in the past as i can burn and put safely away whereas ill most likely want to use the USB again at some point.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    24 Aug 2015 #40
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by gbu View Post
    Ill but a USB and do it that way, i know that method works because i borrowed a friends one to see and it booted ok.

    I would still like to know why i cant boot from the DVD though as with all previous back ups of OS i have booted this way via DVD in the past as i can burn and put safely away whereas ill most likely want to use the USB again at some point.
    Good idea... I much prefer a USB Flash Drive over a DVD any day.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Being advised not to upgrade but to fresh install ?
im so confused right now! people are reporting tons of problems when upgrading to win10, and my friends to do a fresh install of it ? but i though windows 10 was a upgrade only thing ? or do they mean my current OS as of right now.. to do a clean...
Installation and Upgrade
How to do a fresh install of windows 10?
So i currently have 8.1 and i would like to reformat my Partition and do a clean install of windows 10. I have downloaded the windows 10 CD boot from here Windows 10 i have windows 8.1 home so i downloaded windows 10 home. And when i was doing the...
Installation and Upgrade
Will it be upgrade first then Fresh Install
hi if i missed the article on upgrading please forgive, when win 10 is finally available, i want to do a fresh install, so does that mean when it comes out i have to update first to get my license then start all over again to install a fresh copy? i...
Installation and Upgrade
Fresh Install
I have Windows 8.1 it came with my Alienware Laptop. I have recently installed Windows 10 TP accidentally overwriting my install of Windows 8.1. (I have all my personal files saved to other drives connected to the laptop so fresh installs mean...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Fresh Install
I haven't seen this information posted anywhere in the Microsoft site or here ~ Once Windows 10 is released to the general public - can I skip the upgrade (I've never had much luck, and it seems to gunk up my system with needless old files) -...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums