Reset Windows 10 prior to selling laptop


  1. Posts : 93
    Windows10
       #1

    Reset Windows 10 prior to selling laptop


    I have done a reset on my HP laptop as I am going to sell it. I don't understand at what point to 'stop' - when the setup questions start - e.g connect to Wifi, Language, Keyboard, etc.

    At what point do I just switch the laptop off ready for the buyer to set up?

    (Windows 10)
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 1,750
    Windows 10 Home
       #2

    I would disconnect internet when doing the setup, then turn off when you get to the 'Who will be using this computer' dialog. At that point the buyer can enter their credentials and connect their own internet to complete setup
      My Computer

  3. hsehestedt's Avatar
    Posts : 2,430
    Windows 11 Pro, 21H2
       #3

    There are various places where you could stop installation, but I always like right after the files are copied to the HD and the system is about to do its first reboot. Since it is about to reboot anyway it's a good natural point to cut the power and it's also the earliest point in the installation where you no longer need the install media to be connected to the computer.
      My Computers

  4. Paul Black's Avatar
    Posts : 14,126
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #4

    Hello @janey6,

    janey6 said:
    I have done a reset on my HP laptop as I am going to sell it. I don't understand at what point to 'stop' - when the setup questions start - e.g connect to Wifi, Language, Keyboard, etc.

    At what point do I just switch the laptop off ready for the buyer to set up?

    Clean Install Win 10 and Turn Off the Computer AFTER the FIRST Reboot. This will then allow the New User to setup the Computer. Do NOT use an MS Account to create a User during Setup [ Do NOT connect to the Internet ]. This might help explain it better . . .

    > Clean Install - Step 23

    This is an OOBE [ Out-of-Box Experience ] so the New User can FINISH the installation the NEXT time the Computer is Turned On . . .

    > Clean Install - Step 18

    I hope I have explained this OK!

    I hope this helps.
      My Computer

  5. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,974
    Windows 10 Pro
       #5

    Normally, I wait until after the computer is done with all reboots and gets to the first question screen. That ensures that all the basic hardware drivers have loaded. Then I press shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Then enter the command:

    Code:
    shutdown /s /t 00
      My Computer

  6. hsehestedt's Avatar
    Posts : 2,430
    Windows 11 Pro, 21H2
       #6

    This is probably well beyond the initial intent of this question, but if you want a really professional installation, you could do one the following:

    Option 1 - More difficult of the 2 options, but does a really professional installation
    =======
    1) Perform a complete installation of Windows including all drivers.
    2) Create a sysprep image and update your Windows installation media with that image.
    3) Start a new installation and stop part way as noted in the previous posts in this thread.

    This will have the advantage of having a completely finished install when setup is done including all drivers for the system.

    Option 2 - less difficult, in fact VERY easy, but user will need to run one single batch file after initial installation.
    =======
    1) With Windows installed, run the following command:
    Code:
    pnputil /export-driver * C:\Drivers
    C:\Drivers can be replaced by any directory. This command will take all drivers and save them to the directory you specify. When done, copy them off to a thumb drive.

    2) On that same thumb drive, create a batch file that contains the following:
    Code:
    pnputil /add-driver *.inf /subdirs /install
    3) Do a normal install, pausing setup as as previously described.
    4) When the new owner finishes the installation, they can run the batch file on the thumb drive. When done, all drivers will be installed.
      My Computers

  7. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,974
    Windows 10 Pro
       #7

    hsehestedt said:
    This is probably well beyond the initial intent of this question, but if you want a really professional installation, you could do one the following:

    Option 1 - More difficult of the 2 options, but does a really professional installation
    =======
    1) Perform a complete installation of Windows including all drivers.
    2) Create a sysprep image and update your Windows installation media with that image.
    3) Start a new installation and stop part way as noted in the previous posts in this thread.

    This will have the advantage of having a completely finished install when setup is done including all drivers for the system.

    Option 2 - less difficult, in fact VERY easy, but user will need to run one single batch file after initial installation.
    =======
    1) With Windows installed, run the following command:
    Code:
    pnputil /export-driver * C:\Drivers
    C:\Drivers can be replaced by any directory. This command will take all drivers and save them to the directory you specify. When done, copy them off to a thumb drive.

    2) On that same thumb drive, create a batch file that contains the following:
    Code:
    pnputil /add-driver *.inf /subdirs /install
    3) Do a normal install, pausing setup as as previously described.
    4) When the new owner finishes the installation, they can run the batch file on the thumb drive. When done, all drivers will be installed.
    Instead of doing all that, why not just press Ctrl + Shift + F3 to enter audit mode to complete the installation then when finished select the shutdown to OOBE option?

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-mode-overview
      My Computer

  8. hsehestedt's Avatar
    Posts : 2,430
    Windows 11 Pro, 21H2
       #8

    NavyLCDR said:
    Instead of doing all that, why not just press Ctrl + Shift + F3 to enter audit mode to complete the installation then when finished select the shutdown to OOBE option?

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-mode-overview
    Absolutely, your suggestion would be easier than what I had suggested.

    I should be a little clearer and add that my suggestions include things that could be provided to the new owner, like a syspreped image or a driver install kit that could install all drivers with a single batch file.

    Up until about 3 years ago, I used to replace my laptop every 6 months. I would always provide to the new user a kit so that they themselves could perform easy reinstalls if they ever had to.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 1,197
    Windows 8.1, Win10Pro
       #9

    janey6 said:
    I have done a reset on my HP laptop as I am going to sell it. I don't understand at what point to 'stop' - when the setup questions start - e.g connect to Wifi, Language, Keyboard, etc. At what point do I just switch the laptop off ready for the buyer to set up? (Windows 10)
    Since I saw this late, you have probably already sold this -- but you need to know that a factory reset does NOT wipe the drive; all it does is reformat it. That means any personal/sensitive data you had on it is still there! Any decent data recovery program will be able to recover most of not all of that.

    There is a tutorial on the HP Support Forums about the steps needed to wipe and restore the PC so that your personal data is really gone.
      My Computer

  10. NMI's Avatar
    NMI
    Posts : 821
    Windows 10 Pro, Version 20H2
       #10

    Mark Phelps said:
    Since I saw this late, you have probably already sold this -- but you need to know that a factory reset does NOT wipe the drive; all it does is reformat it. That means any personal/sensitive data you had on it is still there! Any decent data recovery program will be able to recover most of not all of that.
    Windows 10 Reset has an option to clean the drive:

    Fully clean the drive = This performs a secure erase to fully clean your drive by overwriting your files so that they can't be easily recovered. This can take several hours to finish. You would want to do this option if you are recycling or selling your computer.

    How to Reset Windows 10 -- Remove everything
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:23.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums