Windows 10 Install Failure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 28
    8.1 Pro
       #1

    Windows 10 Install Failure


    Ok so.. Been trying to get Windows 10 Installed for a long time. Found out my Windows 8 Key got banned since I bought if from a scammer or something. So I went and bought a brand new Windows 10. Its a Windows 10 Pro 64bit OEM (which i'm not exactly sure what OEM is all about). So currently my computer is just chilling with Windows 8.1 Pro but it's not activated. Just popped in the CD that came with my new Windows 10, put the files on a USB, and ran the set up. It started downloading and failed about 37% of the way through. Saying 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 Installation failed in the Safe_OS phase with error during boot. Why is that happening. I ran a clean boot, turned all my non-microsoft programs off and got the same error. Is OEM something where I have no have no operating system currently running? Should I wipe my hard drive completely and re-try? Something else?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 441
    Windows 10
       #2

    Stannis said:
    Ok so.. Been trying to get Windows 10 Installed for a long time. Found out my Windows 8 Key got banned since I bought if from a scammer or something. So I went and bought a brand new Windows 10. Its a Windows 10 Pro 64bit OEM (which i'm not exactly sure what OEM is all about). So currently my computer is just chilling with Windows 8.1 Pro but it's not activated. Just popped in the CD that came with my new Windows 10, put the files on a USB, and ran the set up. It started downloading and failed about 37% of the way through. Saying 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 Installation failed in the Safe_OS phase with error during boot. Why is that happening. I ran a clean boot, turned all my non-microsoft programs off and got the same error. Is OEM something where I have no have no operating system currently running? Should I wipe my hard drive completely and re-try? Something else?
    So where did you buy this OEM
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 17,373
    Windows 11 Pro
       #3

    Why do an upgrade when you have a Windows 10 key to enter? Boot from the Windows 10 install media, select custom install, delete all the partitions on the system disk, install on the unallocated space, enter your key when asked.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 28
    8.1 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Bazz said:
    So where did you buy this OEM
    Newegg
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 28
    8.1 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #5

    NavyLCDR said:
    Why do an upgrade when you have a Windows 10 key to enter? Boot from the Windows 10 install media, select custom install, delete all the partitions on the system disk, install on the unallocated space, enter your key when asked.
    I tried booting from my usb and it just loaded my Windows 8.

    On the USB is just the files I transferred from the CD. Do I have to do anything else?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 17,373
    Windows 11 Pro
       #6

    Stannis said:
    I tried booting from my usb and it just loaded my Windows 8.

    On the USB is just the files I transferred from the CD. Do I have to do anything else?
    If your motherboard is booting in legacy mode (MBR), yes, you have to set up the USB specially to boot. Why can't you boot from the DVD from Newegg?

    This would probably still work:
    WinToFlash - Create Bootable USB drive - Home page
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 28
    8.1 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #7

    NavyLCDR said:
    If your motherboard is booting in legacy mode (MBR), yes, you have to set up the USB specially to boot. Why can't you boot from the DVD from Newegg?

    This would probably still work:
    WinToFlash - Create Bootable USB drive - Home page
    Its a custom PC and doesnt have a external cd drive
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 17,373
    Windows 11 Pro
       #8

    Just make a Windows 10 USB directly using the Media Creation Tool that makes a USB that is bootable with a legacy BIOS.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 17,373
    Windows 11 Pro
       #9

    Stannis said:
    Its a custom PC and doesnt have a external cd drive
    I'm confused, though. How did you just "pop in the cd" and copy the files to a USB drive? Seems like the computer would have to have a DVD/CD drive to do that. So, again, why can't you just boot from it? The drive does not have to be external to boot from it.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 28
    8.1 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #10

    NavyLCDR said:
    Just make a Windows 10 USB directly using the Media Creation Tool that makes a USB that is bootable with a legacy BIOS.
    can you link me to the correct download for the windows 10 media creation tool?
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums